Tests on PSP battery

Now all running out of battery means is you have to plug it in somewhere for a couple hours to keep on going.

Except don't these batteries have a finite number of recharge cycles? So the more frequently you have to recharge, the sooner you may have to buy a new battery?

Good thing it's user-replaceable. Hopefully a lot of third-batteries become available, as they did with digital camera batteries, where there is a big price difference between the camera maker brands and these 3rd-party brands.

But maybe Sony doesn't share the specs. without licenses. Then again, it's only a battery. It shouldn't be complicated like third-party memory cards which do not always work well.

Quote:
if you want to get into batterys , i can carry a second ds battery with me and get 24 hours of battery life .

Isn't the DS batter locked in so that you have to take a screwdriver or the like to it? That's the thing that will get in the way of most people instead of price. Gamers are notoriously lazy.
the pelican i got for my gba sp had a thumb screw that replaced the screw . Took all of ten seconds to take off

jvd said:
the pelican i got for my gba sp had a thumb screw that replaced the screw . Took all of ten seconds to take off
I mean the DS. Unless there's a similar thumb-screwing from a third party available.

cthellis42 said:
jvd said:
I mean the DS. Unless there's a similar thumb-screwing from a third party available.

Yea ds has a screw too , don't see it to hard to put a thumbscrew on it though.

but it will still last 12 hours with out wifi running. Which is what two psp batterys ?

Despite your comments I've still only seen people giving times of ~8 hours, as well as both my friends' DS's scoring that. As well, Nintendo gives 10 hours as the max time, so I don't automatically label them at 12 hours/8 wifi. Sadly, despite being available weeks longer to many more people, far less testing has been done--which I find peculiar. (Is there "so long as it gets more than 6 hours we don't care anymore" mindset out there? ;) )

As for the PSP, it will indeed take two batteries to run for a 12 hour block, but then I say "who in hell cares"? Twelve hours of solid gaming where you have NO access to plugging it in? That's got to account for a good 0.01% of the total amount of time people are likely to spend playing on their machine, barring being a co-pilot. ;) HORRORS!

I consider pushing the 4 hour block to 6 to be more important, since it's actually dealing in more reasonable blocks of time to go without being able to use an outlet. And that should be accomplishable by kicking down the brightness on even the more stressful games. (Though it might still only make 4 or so with wireless. Needs more specific testing! Hehe.) Which if we want to equalize things, actually puts it at about the DS's brightness level. (At least in every visual comparison I've seen around so far, as well as eyeballing it IRL. The only thing I haven't been able to do yet is compare them side by side. The PSP's luminescence might seem visually greater from the concentration of the larger screen.)

At 8-12 hours I no longer care, and most people never need it either. (But some are perfectly willing to use it as life-or-death reasons to fill the opinions they want to have.) The PSP would definitely need two batteries to pull it off, but anything under? You can probably get a good bit out of adjusting brightness or picking which games to play for the situation you'll be bereft of that frolicsome AC current.

And since we were already talking about 3rd party battery options, I imagine it won't too long before ones that are not hot-swap batteries emerge. Large capacity rechargables that just plug into the power slot and offer...? I guess we'll wait and see.

All the battery runtime in the world is not going to give the DS the ability to play a really good RR-like game.

All the battery runtime in the world is not going to give the DS the ability to play back movies with the same quality of the PSP.

All the battery runtime in the world is not going to give the DS the ability to play back mp3s with the same quality of the PSP.

Yes, battery run time IS important but mentioing this over and over is wasted on us because we got it the first time. Don't get it if it doesn't meet your needs. Others though, will be more than happy to get one even with the relatively short battery life.

Meanwhile no one should fault the DS for NOT playing high powered games, not playing movies or mp3s decently. It all comes down to needs/wants. For many, the DS is not powerful enough or have the games they want or the features. But we only need to hear that from them once. ;)

joe emo said:
that's a pretty difficult claim to qualify. Sound quality is subjective.

I have an iPOD and there are some truth to the claim, volume isn't what it should be. But you can download tools that help that:

http://espen.se/?category=1

And then there is the basic "sound", which of course, mostly depends on the Ear Plugs you use, i have some nice ones with lots of bass:

http://www.i4u.com/section-viewarticle-45.html

Read about them here:
http://formen.ign.com/news/33649.html

(Note Sony haters can buy other brands that looks the same)

But i wouldn't say that the iPOD has an impressive sound, and it's somewhat difficult to find a EQ setting that suits me (evey EQ setting seem to make the sound clip), the Volume Boost does help though. Just a hassle having to run it everytime you copy new songs to the iPOD.

For those saying the ds wont ever run movies that is not true. After all if the gba can play tv shows , the ds one day could run movies . But who cares right now.

Yes ds can never display graphics like rr but then again it can produce a game with much better game play .

Of course the ds is a true portable , one where I can go where ever i want and not have the thought of needing a new battery or not being able to paly because my battery went dead .

Just like people who travel 8 hours some where often wouldn't buy an mp3 player that got 4 hours battery life , people who travel far distances would never buy a psp for games .

Not to mention that people like my younger cousin who could often forget to plug his gba in for a few days and still be able to take it and play it on the car ride to my house , he wont be able to do that with a psp.

Jesus fvckin' christ. how can you guys keep on bickering for seven god-damn pages about battery life? Haven't you repeated the same two arguments (PSP better gfx, DS longer life) enough times already?

FFS, give it a rest, you people are giving me a headache.

Guden Oden said:
Jesus fvckin' christ. how can you guys keep on bickering for seven god-damn pages about battery life? Haven't you repeated the same two arguments (PSP better gfx, DS longer life) enough times already?

i think between us bitching with each other and u bitching about us bitching we can get at least another 4 pages.

Besides bitching with u guys is better than bitching with my family

jvd said:
Guden Oden said:

i think between us bitching with each other and u bitching about us bitching we can get at least another 4 pages.

Besides bitching with u guys is better than bitching with my family

You bitch with your family about the battery life of handhelds? :oops:

all the time . Esp now , since we got 2 psps under the tree and they are argueing about who gets them haha

jvd said:
For those saying the ds wont ever run movies that is not true. After all if the gba can play tv shows , the ds one day could run movies . But who cares right now.

I said, with the same quality.

jvd said:
Yes ds can never display graphics like rr but then again it can produce a game with much better game play .

Very possible. But that's still a maybe. And "better game play" is up to the individual.

jvd said:
Of course the ds is a true portable , one where I can go where ever i want and not have the thought of needing a new battery or not being able to paly because my battery went dead .

So a true portable is defined by it's battery life? (What is this magic # btw?) It's well established that the PSP and DS are pretty similar in size so you can't mean size alone. I guess the original GB wasn't a portable. Or the Nomad, my NeoGeo pocket, Atari Lynx, etc.

jvd said:
Just like people who travel 8 hours some where often wouldn't buy an mp3 player that got 4 hours battery life , people who travel far distances would never buy a psp for games .

Don't say never. :) But yes, as I said before, get what suits you. If long battery life is important to you, then obviously the DS is a much stronger candidate. Of couse a pack of cards is better than the DS in this regard. ;)

this is what DCcharlie has to say on another forum:
---------------------
Battery Life update : Fully charged PSP , played 3 hours of Mingol with wireless on , full brightness, sound so just bearly audible with me serving to two other units. Followed by an hour of Puyo Puyo and an hour of Ridge and then watched 3 episodes of Monkey Dust (28 minutes each). The unit just gave out and died as my upload of Samurai Champloo finished. I'm sure mingol doesn't hammer the online mode, but still ... i'm impressed.

Puyo Puyo - supports wirless play, and the game can be switched from Japanese to English (with English voices as well as text)

-----------------------------
5hours plus!
since I don't plan to take a 12houre plane flight every 2days.. that's fine by me

:LOL:

jvd said:
all the time . Esp now , since we got 2 psps under the tree and they are argueing about who gets them haha

U like gorging urself on a huge juicy tasty fat burger with chips in front of starving children don't you.

london-boy said:
jvd said:
U like gorging urself on a huge juicy tasty fat burger with chips in front of starving children don't you.
Mmm... Fuddruckers...

Back