TES V: Skyrim

I have never seen that complex shooter. Exception is Stalker, but he is not typical FPS.

Bethesda is bad example

STALKER isn't even quite as open as a TES game because it has lots of loading zones. Ill probably compare Skyrim's engine to Just Cause 2. JC2 has a fakey super colorful tropical look but runs quite well and has some advanced effects.

I have my wizard robe on. :3

So I've never played the ES games. Will I get sucked into 200 hours of playing ?

You don't have to be. It depends what you like. They are actually short and easy in terms of main quest. The side quests are what make them long. I am soooo looking forward to it. Rage and Skyrim I have been looking forward to for years.

My only concern is that despite this flood of game media coverage, no one has yet to touch the PC build. At all. So we have no idea on the controls, the UI, performance, draw distance, textures, etc.

Maybe since it's D3D9, SSAA will work? That would be a plus. I suppose there are still many other variables that could make that not happen though.

I am not at all worried about it. Reviewers do a terrible job and are pretty much entirely worthless anyway. Especially PC reviewers. The only real problem is that it is on the same gen as oblivion so graphics progress may be limited. Anyway I already pre-ordered it, but I won't have any time to play it probably :( Ah well. I suppose I should have waited then and got the edition with all the bull crap DLC later.

PCs will likely be able to mod it like oblivion so I am sure it will work out ok. I completely understand not giving out the PC game to reviewers in light of leaks and how pointless reviews are in general.

No PC shots/videos ever and review embargo = barely better than console version. Will it stop anyone buying it? Doubtful.

Hopefully the decision may curb some piracy as well.

There is little different about the PC and console versions of Oblivion and Fallout 3 so don't be surprised. Oblivion's prerelease days were pretty secretive too. In fact I remember Pete Hines saying in an interview that they would only put out a few screens slowly until release. It's their twisted and evil strategy.

Anyway, the real advantage to the PC version of their games is modding. I have no idea why anyone with a choice would touch the console versions.

No PC shots/videos ever and review embargo = barely better than console version. Will it stop anyone buying it? Doubtful.
Question is, should it stop anyone though? If it's a (really) good game, then what does it matter if the graphics isn't any better on the PC than on consoles? People still play NES games just for the fun of it, that console's been dead for 20 years now; good games are universal, and Skyrim already looks really, REALLY good.

Maybe since it's D3D9, SSAA will work? That would be a plus. I suppose there are still many other variables that could make that not happen though.

Nvidia's SSAO will probably work as well. Did with Fallout 3 and Oblvion.

You don't have to be. It depends what you like. They are actually short and easy in terms of main quest. The side quests are what make them long. I am soooo looking forward to it. Rage and Skyrim I have been looking forward to for years.
hm... Well, I did play DA: O for 160+ Hours. I'm the completionist type of RPG gamer. ;)

These days, I'm really in it for the story though, so... how's that in the ES series?

I'm gonna pretend I never heard you say that.

Sacrilege! How can you never have played Elder Scrolls before!? Are you some kinda redneck emo console kiddie come over to flex some mod muscle in the Sacred PC Forums and then troll us with your "never played ES games"??

Silly stuff aside, they're always very big open world games with a lot of questing and great mod community. You can easily spend hundreds of hours gaming in them.

:LOL:

Looks like my job is done here. ;) I'll have you know that I own a lot more PC games than console. :p

No doubt, the main questlines aren't rivetting narratives. But some of the side quests are usually well done, and Oblivion's dark brotherhood quest line was superb. I'm hoping that quality is just as high in Skyrim.

Calling them not riveting narratives is really giving them too much credit. The story in TES IV just flat out sucked and Fallout 3 wasn't a whole lot better. The Shivering Isles add-on had an entertaining plot, though.

Yes but if I want a good story I read a book. If I want a good game it is a different matter. I haven't played DAO. Maybe I should. In general I have never found a great story in a fun video game.

Yes but if I want a good story I read a book. If I want a good game it is a different matter. I haven't played DAO. Maybe I should. In general I have never found a great story in a fun video game.

What about the Witcher series?

And, to a lesser extent, KOTOR2. Same company. ;) A tragically flawed rush job there though.

For me TES is all about the open experience, although that does tend to end up feeling hollow and empty because it's just a game world populated by robotic automatons / quest dispensers. It's as good as any other virtual otherworldly sandbox experience though and I think that's the most interesting type of gaming.

Back