TES V: Skyrim

There were definitely game breaking mechanics in Oblivion that you could use if the leveling system is too much of a pain (or of course the many rebalancing mods) -- to the point where the game is beatable under most any circumstance.

120% (?) invisibility comes to mind.

Morrowind is the same way. Meganuke townkiller spells and flying around with levitation indefinitely, come to mind. I don't mind this kind of thing at all though. :D

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here? Are you saying you would want quick travel locations even before you find the location for the first time?

Im commenting on this

the no quest compass bit, I want something better than morrowinds "what you seek is that way somewhere"

@Frank: Speculating from your wishlist: Risen 2 will be more your cup of tea (if PB get their act together) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrowind is the same way. Meganuke townkiller spells and flying around with levitation indefinitely, come to mind. I don't mind this kind of thing at all though. :D

boots of blinding speed :)
Corpus disease

By the time I was finished with Corpus disease I had like 1000 strength and so forth.

I don't mind this kind of thing at all though. :D

Same - actually I'd be a bit annoyed if they went out of their way to prevent it. The game should reward you if you are creative enough. In the same vein of other games (particularly JRPGs like the Disgaea series) where often the system is designed to be balanced, but if you look hard enough they leave in loopholes that can give you ridiculous advantages.

As for Oblivion, AoE frenzy in a town was the best. :D

About the quest compass / fast travelling by mouse click:

If your world is rather bland or samey, fast travelling is fine. Because there is no point in walking there.

Then again, if your world is interesting and unique, you should encourage the player to go explore it. That's what Gothic 3 did very well, and Morrowind did that pretty good as well.

With Oblivion and Fallout 3, it wasn't all that much interesting to travel around by foot. Because the things you might encounter were all pretty much the same. Computer generated, from a (severely) limited set.

In Fallout 3, it was all pretty bleak, but there were interesting locations to encounter along the way. Not that many, but enough to look around. If you didn't mind the endless subways and destroyed houses in the vast desert.

In Oblivion, things look pretty cheery. But I can't think of a single landmark that was actually interesting or different. Walk around for an hour, and you've seen it all.

So, my gripe with the fast travel in Oblivion isn't so much that it is there, but more that there is no point in not using it and walking the distance.

Morrowind is MUCH larger than Oblivion. Perhaps not in actual distance measurements, but definitely in content and travelling time. Even if you simply run the distance. You'll be there much faster in Oblivion even if you don't deviate.

In Morrowind, you see something strange, or a nondescript entrance, and you simply have to go and take a look, as you cannot know what is behind it. While it probably looks like something you've seen before, there is much more variation in looks, content, loot and options than in Oblivion.

In Oblivion, you know pretty well what is behind that entrance when it isn't a quest target: nothing you haven't seen or done yet, with no interesting enemies or loot. Pass it by and continue your journey.

And the same goes for the quest compass.

I kind of agree with the idea, but that doesn't mean take away fast travel. I played gothic 3 and I don't really agree. I got kind of bored. I made a huge effort to explore going up way over the falls and managing to get to places the game thought a player could not really go (same in morrowind) and there really wasn't much point. Maybe it was just the time gone by since I played morrowind that makes the same thing seem not as exciting.

About the quest compass / fast travelling by mouse click:

If your world is rather bland or samey, fast travelling is fine. Because there is no point in walking there.

Then again, if your world is interesting and unique, you should encourage the player to go explore it. That's what Gothic 3 did very well, and Morrowind did that pretty good as well.

With Oblivion and Fallout 3, it wasn't all that much interesting to travel around by foot. Because the things you might encounter were all pretty much the same. Computer generated, from a (severely) limited set.

In Fallout 3, it was all pretty bleak, but there were interesting locations to encounter along the way. Not that many, but enough to look around. If you didn't mind the endless subways and destroyed houses in the vast desert.

In Oblivion, things look pretty cheery. But I can't think of a single landmark that was actually interesting or different. Walk around for an hour, and you've seen it all.

So, my gripe with the fast travel in Oblivion isn't so much that it is there, but more that there is no point in not using it and walking the distance.

Morrowind is MUCH larger than Oblivion. Perhaps not in actual distance measurements, but definitely in content and travelling time. Even if you simply run the distance. You'll be there much faster in Oblivion even if you don't deviate.
In Morrowind, you see something strange, or a nondescript entrance, and you simply have to go and take a look, as you cannot know what is behind it. While it probably looks like something you've seen before, there is much more variation in looks, content, loot and options than in Oblivion.

In Oblivion, you know pretty well what is behind that entrance when it isn't a quest target: nothing you haven't seen or done yet, with no interesting enemies or loot. Pass it by and continue your journey.

And the same goes for the quest compass.

I remember in Morrowind. I was screwing around outside of Vivec. There was a series of small islands that I was checking out since I was slightly bored. Eventually I got pretty far out into the ocean. Looking under the water between two of the islands I found a door. :oops:

I entered the door and found an enture submerged dwarven city. After battling the centurions and other dwarven machines I found one of the most powerful cuirasses in the game. 100% fire resistant.

Nothing like that ever happened in Oblivion. Not even close.

I remember a similar event in Morrowind, though not quite as epic as that! I just found a submerged ship in the ocean. Had to go get some water breathing potions as it was fairly deep down and found some nice glass armor down there which I had on me for eons before I could find someone to sell it to.

I entered the door and found an enture submerged dwarven city. After battling the centurions and other dwarven machines I found one of the most powerful cuirasses in the game. 100% fire resistant.

Nothing like that ever happened in Oblivion. Not even close.

One of my replays of Morrowind was done with the benefit of online resources, so I was scouring the land looking for the best of everything and followed directions to find that door.

Daedric shrines are back in Skyrim, so hopefully good stuff to find inside.

The problem of leveled loot in Oblivion did make it less fun to explore, but there was a pretty fancy helm off the coast.

Still in Morrowind it was more fun to try and explore things over your head to get good loot. I did the island hopping thing right away and was getting killed by mudcrabs and stuff. Those fish were the worst I had to swim to the next island and sit there healing with the weak ring until I could go to the next one. If there was a crab when I dragged myself out of the water away from the slaughter fish then I would be killed :)

One of my replays of Morrowind was done with the benefit of online resources, so I was scouring the land looking for the best of everything and followed directions to find that door.

The great thing was that I never used a single outside resource when I played Morrowind. I found that thing totally on my own. That was back when I still knew how to properly play a videogame :cool:

One would hope they wouldn't be that stupid a second time... but they were stupid enough to do it the first time and didn't realise how much of a pain in the ass they actually were. Of course I think it says more about Bethesda and game testing than crappy game design... no wait it does both.

They look more like Oblivion gate replacements. Wonder if you can run away after initiating a fight.

What was the problem with cliff racers anyway?

KfqhO.jpg

Oh, I hope we can install Skyrim mods without having to download upteen dependencies, without having to follow a precise order and without taking a whole afternoon. After so many games one would think Bethesda would find a better system that doesn't trip on file dates or subsequent DLC.

How is that a problem? I found that very fun personally. RUN AWAY!!! Quick to a city :)

KILL THEM ALL!!

Lol I learned archery solely for the purpose of sniping cliff racers before they decided to make it their one purpose in life to follow me to the ends of the earth and squawk at me.

Back