TES V: Skyrim

What was the problem with cliff racers anyway?

Cliff racers only showed up as you leveled up high enough, and became more common as you got higher level. At high levels, the quickest way to travel was either jumping with spells or flying with levitation spells. Being that cliff racers were common at this point, had a high agro radius, and never, ever broke agro for distance or anything, one who tried to fly/jump to a destination at high level was swarmed with dozens of cliff racers. Even on the ground, if you went into mountains as you often did on trails, you would agro a bunch of them. Having to kill 30 cliff racers just to get to another town gets really old really fast.

I was very high level and cliff racers never ever bothered me at all. I could jump so ridiculously high in that game and run in the air effectively so that I could cross an entire exterior cell in one or two jumps. Maybe the problem was only apparent if you moved slowly. I always felt like the road runner in that game with the boots of blinding speed and max speed it was ridiculously fast. I remember killing guards in vivec when I was still a low level character by running away whenever they got close and shooting them with arrows. I ended up using like a hundred arrows or some ridiculous thing, but the armor was worth a ton :)

I bet the people in Vivec loved you... :D

Is there any source in Morrowind for infinite glass or daedric arrows? I've found some here and there in chests and whatnot, but it's been just a handful and not really worth collecting for use. Better to just sell them for gold.

I haven't replayed Morrowind in eons, and I recall there being a graphics overhaul mod out there for it. I really should load it up on the laptop (i5-520m and 5650m) and give it another go. But maybe after Skyrim -- that I already preordered on Steam.

Must be a commercial spot. Not bad production values, dragon was a little too CGI-ish looking and the warrior should've been a bit more muscular. But not bad.

And they released the required/recommended PC specs:

Minimum PC Specs:
Operating System: Win XP/7/Vista (32 or 64 bit)
CPU: Dual Core 2GHz
Memory: 2GB RAM
Video Card: DirectX9c video card w/ 512MB RAM

See? Not that bad at all, but it you want those bells and whistles you'll need something a little meatier.

Recommended PC Specs:
Operating System: Win XP/7
CPU: Quad-Core Intel/AMD CPU
Memory: 4GB RAM, 6GB Hard Drive Space
Sound: DirectX compatible sound card
Video Card: DirectX9 video card with 1GB memory. GTX 260/Radeon 4890 or higher
Thanks for the linkage AI! :)

Recommended specs show either how efficient their engine is or how little they have enhanced the PC version over the console version. I'm thinking 95% likely the latter gauging screenshots and videos. At least it means it will run pretty good on my C2D 6750 + 5770 1Gb. Having bought my HTPC recently, I can't upgrade my gaming PC for another year.

Very much looking forward to it, the only day 1 purchase my wife and I will make this year.

I wasn't really expecting huge increases over the console version in this game but still dissapointing to see it running on DX9 only.

Saying that, the 4GB recommended memory could say a lot about the draw distances in comparison to console.

I am very pumped for this game. I've been looking forward to it ever since seeing the first screenies, I'm hoping there will be automatic blocking like in Morrowind, but maybe that's too much to wish for, I dunno. I hated the block button they put into Oblivion, my reaction time sucks, and the block was also really laggy so I always ended up missing the window of opportunity, which of course meant I got hit, and I couldn't swing my own weapon either.

I love my stealthy wood elf in Morrowind, short sword specialization, block, light armor, sneak...stuff like that. Of course, heavy armor is where it's at if you really want to power through that game, chant it with tons of strength, make mega jumps... But, for roleplaying I love my setup. If they'd balanced the armor types better so glass armor could hold as much chanting points as daedric, or at least ebony...but I guess that ship sailed like ten years ago now or something. :LOL:

I wasn't really expecting huge increases over the console version in this game but still dissapointing to see it running on DX9 only.

Saying that, the 4GB recommended memory could say a lot about the draw distances in comparison to console.

Fallout 3 and Oblivion were pretty much identical on every platform and since Bethesda isn't talking about the PC version I'd expect nothing new this time either. Hopefully the UI is ok but don't hold yur breath. :D

I'm curious as to how much they've improved the engine considering the game is designed yet again for the same 360 hardware. 3rd generation of Bethesda's Gamebryo on 360 efforts (yeah I know they renamed the engine but it certainly looks similar).

I hope movement feels better than Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Their physics are floaty and weird.

Fallout 3 and Oblivion were pretty much identical on every platform and since Bethesda isn't talking about the PC version I'd expect nothing new this time either. Hopefully the UI is ok but don't hold yur breath. :D

I'm curious as to how much they've improved the engine considering the game is designed yet again for the same 360 hardware. 3rd generation of Bethesda's Gamebryo on 360 efforts (yeah I know they renamed the engine but it certainly looks similar).

I hope movement feels better than Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Their physics are floaty and weird.

I don't know about Fallout but certainly Oblivion on Stock had a few improvements over the console versions in terms of draw distance and density of foliage. And that was way back in 2006! I'd certainly hope for more than that by now but as you say, I don't expect huge differences. I'll leave that to the modders :p

I'd like to point out that those are the recommended specs for the High setting, not Ultra.

So, if you want teh pretties, you're gonna need a faster card.

They call it DX9 but you can't run it on DX9 cards. It's fun to ponder the modern game industry and its evolution. And since the consoles aren't restricted exactly to PC D3D9, we probably end up at a disadvantage to if they'd gone 10/11.

Oblivion didn't do well with 2gb RAM sometimes so the 4gb thing only makes sense for a hopefully more advanced game. RAM is super cheap now anyway.

Cmon we know it's about base performance and minimum vram rather than feature set really.

I will try the game on my recently acquired X1950XTX and let you know ;) The biggest issue is that AMD hasn't touched the drivers since 10.2. Some recent D3D9 games have simply been broken.

The usual questions:
I have a
Intel Q9450 2.6Ghx Quad core\
Corsair 4Gb DDR2 RAM
ATI 4850, 512MB.
Win 7 Ultimate

Should I go for the PC version or go for the PS3 to ensure an smoother no hiccups performance.Lets just suppose for a second that mods don't matter. I don't want to buy the game and find out I can't get a smooth enough performance to enjoy it. Since my monitor is native 1920X1080, if I run anything at resolutions lower than that, I get a lot of blur, which I want to avoid at all costs.

Wish they release a benchmarking tools, but they never have :( !

Back