TES V: Skyrim

Some tweaks provide huge gains for basically no cost in performance or stability. E.g. increasing the FOV can be done through the simplest console command ever. "fov 85" and your game is instantly better. Everyone should do it, unless you care about achievements because apparently any amount of console tweaking and you are a cheater :rolleyes:

No console command or ini tweak turns off achievements. Unless that changed with the latest patch.

I read that just opening the console turns off achievements.

Soooo, what are some most have/do tweaks and mods so far?

I got my copy installed and will start my first playthrough soon.

My hw config is as such:
2600k @ 4.6
GTX 580 1.5gb @ 950/2225
8GB RAM and SSD
2560x1600

I don't need 60fps. Above 30 is good with me so if there are some must do's or if anyone has a high end config they want to share, that'd be appreciated.

I've had no CTD's outside of an overheating (overclocked) video card and a two hour session of epic ini tweaking. Back to stock settings + shadow fix and I've yet to have another crash since about the ~30hr mark (I'm now at 68 hours.) I will repeat my former post - I believe a lot of people are having worse problems due to other things they are forcing, either INI settings or SSAO in the driver or something else.

On a related note: I did finally encounter my first set of purple textures today :D I saved my game, exited, did a system game cache check, and then re-entered the game to find no more purple textures. Yay bugs! ;)

I'm level 21 now and haven't had one crash or lockup, the game for me has been 100% solid. Note I have never tweaked ini's or done anything like that, I only picked settings from what Bethesda provided in their config app. Generally speaking I do not tweak pc games outside of what the companies provide. The reason being that they only q/a what is in the shipping game. By tweaking stuff in the ini's, etc, you may be exposing code that hasn't been tested or is known to be buggy.

Same here, I have had zero crashes so far. I have played about 30 hours so far. I also have not changed any of the settings the game recommended.

I have read that too, and from experience I believe and can confirm it.

Soooo, what are some most have/do tweaks and mods so far?

I got my copy installed and will start my first playthrough soon.

My hw config is as such:
2600k @ 4.6
GTX 580 1.5gb @ 950/2225
8GB RAM and SSD
2560x1600

I don't need 60fps. Above 30 is good with me so if there are some must do's or if anyone has a high end config they want to share, that'd be appreciated.

Okay, my computer is about 1/4 of yours and I can run with NVIDIA SSAO on the Quality setting. Highly recommended. I use the Fallout 3 profile but you can use the Oblivion one for a more subtle effect if you like.

You should be able to increase uGridsToLoad a bit, but don't go past 7 or 8 if you want a playable and stable game. Also if you increase uGrids you should add

iPreloadSizeLimit=262144000 (or higher if you like but that value should be enough)
uInterior Cell Buffer=16
uExterior Cell Buffer=102

to your Sykrim.ini file. And also use the new 4GB address space patch to avoid crashing.

BTW all those tweaks go in the Skyrim.ini file under the [General] heading.

I just opened the console, typed fov 85, did a few quests and got the "Taking Sides" achievement. You must be doing something else. I regularly open the console to turn off the menus to take screenshots as well.

Yeah I definitely have been getting achievements after using console several times.

I put the fov settings in skyrim.ini so it wouldnt reset it all the time. I couldn't care less about achievements but I'm fairly sure I've been getting them.

I just started using LAA, and played five hours without a crash, or strange texture problems.
The thieves guild always had texture problems after about 2 hours of playing, but seems to have been fixed with LAA.

In regards to the achievement thing, I was under the impression that it only counted the session when you opened the console. If you exit and restart, achievements would be back in place until you fiddled with the console again.

I initially set my FOV using the console, but it kept reverting back. I've got it in the INI now, and I know it held for a while, but I haven't checked it lately (I only took it up to 75.. much more than that, and it started to fisheye, which really annoys me).

In regards to the achievement thing, I was under the impression that it only counted the session when you opened the console. If you exit and restart, achievements would be back in place until you fiddled with the console again.

I think this is the case, but N_B's comment seem to indicate otherwise. In any case I don't care enough about achievements to bother with looking for a fix.

I've got it in the INI now
SkyrimPrefs.ini or Skyrim_Default.ini? Also, does it matter under which heading you place the command? I don't wannna screw anything up...

It's just "fov nn", right? (Questions, questions... So many questions!)

That's odd because I've changed my carryweight to something around 50000 and still get achievements. I can't quarantee it but I think I changed it a bit after the latest patch on Steam.

Then again that has been the only thing I've ever changed there. Pretty sure if I'd turn on godmode, noclip or spawn stuff then achievements would get turned off.

Same here, I have had zero crashes so far. I have played about 30 hours so far. I also have not changed any of the settings the game recommended.

Are you forcing ambient occlusion through nvidia inspector? I'm beginning to wonder if that's my issue. I reinstalled last night because I couldn't play a single game without it crashing. It still crashes. No .ini tweaks or config tweaks either. Just vanilla skyrim with AO forced.

SkyrimPrefs.ini or Skyrim_Default.ini? Also, does it matter under which heading you place the command? I don't wannna screw anything up...

It's just "fov nn", right? (Questions, questions... So many questions!)
I've got these lines added to the end of the "Display" section of Skyrim.ini (the one in My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\):

fDefaultWorldFOV=75
fDefault1stPersonFOV=75.0000
fDefaultFOV=75.0000

And they are holding, I just checked it.

The console command to change it on the fly is just "fov xx" for whatever number you want.

Back