TES V: Skyrim

BTW, I think it's not the best setup for Bethesda to have their high detail preset running maximum MSAA. That's a big hit for little IQ gain over 4x AA.

Hmm, I can run at any AA setting up to 16xQCSAA and it doesn't impact the framerate. I must be CPU limited, but it's no problem since I use FPSLimiter to cap at 30FPS, and that's exactly what it runs at, always.

Hmm, I can run at any AA setting up to 16xQCSAA and it doesn't impact the framerate. I must be CPU limited, but it's no problem since I use FPSLimiter to cap at 30FPS, and that's exactly what it runs at, always.
When I tried "enhance FSAA 16xCSAA" in the control panel, the game crashed on startup every time.

Magic is seriously underpowered and not customizable. And I really want levitation or jumping!

Modding time.

I remember Todd Howard remarking for Oblivion on those (and alchemy) as "not balanced" and them not wanting the player to "skip content".

A single-player game that is "not balanced", as in that some skill trees are designed as being mostly for support, like destruction magic (???), and no human opponents are complaining that it is unfair?

Or a sandbox game where you have to follow a linear path and aren't allowed to become god-like somewhere between level 50 and 100?

I vote we petition Bethesda to fire Todd for incompetence, and replace him with someone who does understand what they are doing.

;)

Honestly I think the dragon plot is all hype. I do not see what is so terribly threatening about these creatures.

Playing on "Adept" (which is 'normal') I am far and away more concerned with direct engagements of Ice Trolls and Giants. Ice Trolls are the harbinger of swift death and are a force to be reckoned with. As are Giants... Thankfully they're passive though.

Dragons? They're just an annoyance. I'll run through two or three of them and think nothing of it. Nor do I find their fights particularly enjoyable.. Predictable and glitchy.

Their animations are complete garbage (as are their A.I.) and watching them try to fly convincingly is just hysterical.

To be frank it feels like some kind of half assed mod that was placed onto an otherwise outstanding game.

Just recently I had a dragon get stuck in the skybox while trying to fly up. He literally was swirling around into a blur in one spot. Just like some kind of scaley spinning top.. And then there's the whole weird jagged arcs dragons will fly when they try to turn. Playstation 1\N64 animations and pathing ahoy.

Even at rank 58 in smithing I get skill-ups by making iron daggers.

I got to max smithing by making iron daggers.

Took me about 90min and 3,000 gold.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I tried "enhance FSAA 16xCSAA" in the control panel, the game crashed on startup every time.

Maybe the setting isn't being applied. I didn't notice any quality difference so I turned it back off. with 4xMSAA and FXAA and 8xAF I am fully satisfied with the image quality.

I got to max smithing by making iron daggers.

Took me about 90min and 3,000 gold.
And that sucks. I refuse to do it, I just want to get to 60 and I am not making more iron daggers to get there.

Silly Bethesda, creating a crafting system and not thinking about it.

"Oh, Master. Can you teach me how to become a great blacksmith?"
"Yes, I will teach you how to make an ... iron dagger!"
"But Master, what about daedric armour and ebony greatswords?"
"... I only know iron daggers."

Last edited by a moderator:
And here I thought I'd have to slowly work my way up better materials to raise my smithing, and all I have to do is Iron daggers? That's retarded. Why do they put so much time and effort into these massive games and make such stupid decisions?

And here I thought I'd have to slowly work my way up better materials to raise my smithing, and all I have to do is Iron daggers? That's retarded. Why do they put so much time and effort into these massive games and make such stupid decisions?
It is the Bethesda Way (tm). It has been like that in every game they have made.

In Morrowind, when you became the leader of Morag Tong and the guy says that everything is yours and he's getting out of there, if you then go to sleep in the bed that is in the same room he just vacated and left to you, you get reported to the cops.

They kinda fixed this in Oblivion (your accomplishments change the world), but they ruined the level scaling from Morrowind.

They always fix something from the last game and break something else that worked fine. Oh, Bethesda.

Anyone else notice frame rate spikes when entering a city? Mine will collapse to like 40 FPS, for like 15 seconds, then return to 60. I have Vsync forced through Nividia Inspector, which brings me to my next question. Is that even necessary? Can you force Vsync through the Skyrim config?

Anyone else notice frame rate spikes when entering a city? Mine will collapse to like 40 FPS, for like 15 seconds, then return to 60. I have Vsync forced through Nividia Inspector.
Not for me, but I have vsync off I think.

I haven't played without it. How is the tearing?
Wait, it isn't configurable in the launcher so I don't know what setting I have. I haven't noticed any tearing but I have just a GTX 285, so I may not be exceeding more than 45 FPS.

For whatever geeky reason, I decided to follow my fellow Companions across half of Skyrim for the last quest. So they set forth out of Whiterun and head north. The sun is rising, the game looks beautiful at 2560x16 w/8x AA and tweaked .ini files, and I'm discovering some new locations. We get close to Dawnstar and their pathing suddenly goes bonkers. They need to head east to the tomb, but they get confused and so they start alternating north and south, heading into Dawnstar and back out, and then back into town again. They do this over and over. So I quick travel to Whitehold and head a little west to the tomb and go inside. Naturally they were there waiting on me.

Wait, it isn't configurable in the launcher so I don't know what setting I have. I haven't noticed any tearing but I have just a GTX 285, so I may not be exceeding more than 45 FPS.

Actually, I may have read that it's defaulted to on. I'm trying to remember. The Steam forums talked about disabling it, making me assume on was the default. That could be why I've been experiencing spikes. Not only in cities, I can roam the country and encounter some pretty nasty ones, too. And it's not my system, so maybe something is screwy. I'm going to try turning it off through Inspector, tonight, and see what happens.

Vsync is always on unless you force it off in the driver CP as far as I can tell. I think it cannot be disabled at all on AMD hardware.

All my Inspector settings are basically defaulted, with the exception of forcing Vsync, triple buffering and ambient occlusion. I'm going to go ahead and assume forcing Vsync through the Inspector is messing with something, causing my FPS dips. I'll try disabling it tonight.

Back