Tekken 8 [XBSX|S, PC, PS5]

The gameplay is very very engaging and superfun. Some inputs seem slightly off even during training others seem much more forgiving. The netcode is probably the best I ve ever experienced in a fighting game. All characters have went through so many changes that they need to be relearned.
Visuals and sound are great and upbeat.
The effects are sometimes way too much though.
Sone heat finishers are too long, some are just right.
Overall positive

I joined the new Closed Beta Testing recently.

The game is fucking amazing. The characters feel much smoother than previous iterations.
Still sometimes there are too many things going on and hard to read some attacks from some characters.

But the work that was put in the gameplay area is actually a lot. This for me, in terms of how characters feel and play, is probably the best Tekken ever.
What I find very welcoming is the fact that many moves that originally knocked or launch characters on hit, they now don't. Some of these knock or launch only as counter hits.
So the fight feels more engaging and more continuous. The game adds some additional complexity though that might be too overwhelming for some with the hit system.
Some moves engage Heat on hit, whether you want them to engage it or not. So you may be forced to engage your Heat gauge if you like using some particular moves.
The Heat adds new attributes and moves to each character which are enabled only during that mode too. So you will have to learn what to use when you are out of heat (in case you dont want to engage it), what to use to engage heat and what to use during heat to maximise your character's potential.

All characters need relearning, as a huge chunk of moves have been replaced, changed, require different inputs than previous games, have different attributes and stable juggle combos are different.

Trying to relearn Howarang took a lot of time. This character goes through huge changes with every iteration since Tekken 6 and is very complicated as there are different moves according to which foot is front and how they connect with flamengo. Imagine learning those in 7 and then noticing that a lot if the inputs produce different results and combinations now, so back to the drawing board with 8 trying to figure out where the previous moves went, what has been replaced and what is the usage now.

More characters and deatures announced.
This is probably the most polished and biggest Tekken ever released

Although I love his design, I would have prefered to see him in a different video game. He is kind of out of place for Tekken. His use of guns and other weaponry is too much even by Yoshimitsu standards.
He looks like a pain in the ass to read too.

I used to love fighting games like this, as the 90s was just full of all the good ones. For me though, my taste switched to survival horror around the year 1999. But I did buy the PS2 hit Tekken Tag Tournament.

Back