Tekken 8 [XBSX|S, PC, PS5]

Yeah the visuals arent exactly consistent. I dont think the game takes full advantage of U5's features. I dont see any use of nanite for the environments. It exhibits low geometry.
The water effects are mediocre too

Jun in 8 is based on the Unknown's moveset btw.

What bothers me a lot is the lack of cohesiveness in the animations. The combinations dont make much sense and are hard to read. Then you have the ton of effects making it even harder to see whats going on
They are probably using ue5.0 and not using nanite only lumen since it's just plug and play and nanite had some limitations early on and was unproven tech.

From what I recall they started work on the game in late 2019 which means they probably had months where they were working with ue4, then moved everything over to ue5 once it became available and just lead with that.

I don't know how hard it is to move to different versions of the engine but when your focused on just making a game as fast as possible instead of seeing what you can do with the engine and it's features, the results seem pretty good for what they want to make.

I ve been checking some gameplay videos and I m turned off by how much the fight flow is interrupted by rage arts (which you can do now at any moment), super moves and heat charges. I cant quite understand whats going on

I ve been checking some gameplay videos and I m turned off by how much the fight flow is interrupted by rage arts (which you can do now at any moment), super moves and heat charges. I cant quite understand whats going on
It does seem a bit much...

Rage system should erased and heat drives should one per entire fight not round. Heat engagers should probably be erased as well

Female characters look like plastic dolls.
The fight flow are constantly interrupted by camera changes and haults from strong moves. I liked how Tekken 7 reduced the amount of knowdowns compared to previous Tekkens, but here we are again with too many KDs.
And waaaay too much flashy air moves too. The combo strings in terms of animation dont make much sense in terms of flow and thus harder to read. Effects are too heavy.
Rage arts take too long.

Female characters look like plastic dolls.

About this, that's just the style that has never changed since I think Tekken 4. Their goal has never been real women but anime women based on their cgi renders, which they are now only getting to in real time

Attachments

• AsukaT5.jpg
    AsukaT5.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 3152348124_761958b858_z.jpg
    3152348124_761958b858_z.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 5457-1320002937.jpg
    5457-1320002937.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 6
Then again, even in real life, depending on the Japanese woman your looking at, they almost seem like a porcelain doll features wise. So I guess Japan also just has that as a cultural standard. Same goes for south Korea and china actually

About this, that's just the style that has never changed since I think Tekken 4. Their goal has never been real women but anime women based on their cgi renders, which they are now only getting to in real time
All characters had some form of stylization regardless of gender. And yet when you take the new versions of the male characters and put the female ones next to them its as if they belong to different games. Its as if they didnt get the same next gen treatment.
The male characters are still based on the previous designs but look much better.

All characters had some form of stylization regardless of gender. And yet when you take the new versions of the male characters and put the female ones next to them its as if they belong to different games. Its as if they didnt get the same next gen treatment.
The male characters are still based on the previous designs but look much better.
The female characters and male characters are all based on their previous CGI renders of the characters. And in these cases the disparity between female and male was the same. I'm saying it's an art design choice that is consistent with previous games not something unique to Tekken 8.

The girls are supposed to look cute and the guys rough and muscley. That's generally been the standard in the modern interpretation of these characters going back decades

My personal issue with the Tekken female models is that they all have wide, linebacker shoulders to fit the common animation rig. This has been a pet peeve through the entire series.

An example from Tekken 7, CG to in-game:
SQ7VbU0.png

yATdMSO.jpg

In Tekken 8 you can tell that the CG renders are trying to make them look more normal, but the in-game models fall back to the male rig:

w3VbmM1.png

i3bU3D6.png

What I need to see out of Tekken is better customization. Tekken 7 and tag had terrible options. Barely any hair variations, barely any actual outfits to differentiate the characters, all the individual pieces of clothing very small in number

Hey why have actual different kinds of tops when I can have like 15 variations of the same terrible black shirt with slightly different logos on it?!

Tekken 6 is the only one so far that has gotten customization decent and even that was too limiting imo.

My personal issue with the Tekken female models is that they all have wide, linebacker shoulders to fit the common animation rig. This has been a pet peeve through the entire series.

SQ7VbU0.png

yATdMSO.jpg

In Tekken 8 you can tell that the CG renders are trying to make them look more normal, but the in-game models fall back to the male rig:

w3VbmM1.png

i3bU3D6.png
Good catch. Never noticed this

What I need to see out of Tekken is better customization. Tekken 7 and tag had terrible options. Barely any hair variations, barely any actual outfits to differentiate the characters, all the individual pieces of clothing very small in number

Hey why have actual different kinds of tops when I can have like 15 variations of the same terrible black shirt with slightly different logos on it?!

Tekken 6 is the only one so far that has gotten customization decent and even that was too limiting imo.
And I hope they reduce the ridiculous random items and add more meaning customizations

SQ7VbU0.png

yATdMSO.jpg

w3VbmM1.png

i3bU3D6.png
At least now the hair casts a little shadow, it's always so jarring when that's not there.

I don't expect a big change graphically. Not sure why Murray mentioned that as around 95 percent of people are happy with the visuals they are seeing in the trailers. I guess some lighting could be adjusted but character models and stages look pretty good even with a while to go till launch. Shouldent get people thinking you are gonna redo all the assets or models or something like that.

Back