Switching hard drives

I posted this on GAF OT, but I should've come here first.

Anyways, I have all my games installed on the D drive( non-system drive). Now I want transfer my game installation folders over to the new 500GB drive, and make it my new D drive. What would be the best way to accomplish this? or should I just reinstall everything to the new drive?

Thanks

Depending on the Windows (?) version you're using this can be quite easy. On Windows 7 the procedure is as follows (should be similar in Vista):

1. Copy all the game folders to your new drive;
2. Right-click on "Computer" and select "Manage";
3. Select "Storage > Disk Management" to show all your current drives (partitions)*;
4. Right-click on your current D drive, "Change Drive Letter and Paths...";
5. Click "Change..." and assign an unused drive letter;
6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 for your D drive to-be.

* If, for some reason, this is only showing your physical drives, from the menu select "View > Top > Volume list".

Yikes! I'm using Windows XP pro, I forgot to mention it. Would it still work?

Also, the new hard drive is currently connected to the external sata. When I connected to the internal sata connector(as the other 2 drives), windows wouldn't start up.
My motherboard is gigabyte ga-ma790xt-ud49.

According to this XP also has the disk management console and it mentions assigning drive letters. I haven't used it in eons though so I can't say whether it will work as smoothly as in Vista/7.

As for your sata connection problems, on a first approximation I'd say that's either a Bios settings for SATA, old firmware, or your new drive becoming your C in the boot order.

According to this XP also has the disk management console and it mentions assigning drive letters. I haven't used it in eons though so I can't say whether it will work as smoothly as in Vista/7.

As for your sata connection problems, on a first approximation I'd say that's either a Bios settings for SATA, old firmware, or your new drive becoming your C in the boot order.

That's is likely the problem. Is there any way to fix this? All my sata drives are running in IDE mode.

Your BIOS should have a boot order editor. If your C drive doesn't show up as a valid selection I would try changing where each drive is physically plugged (SATA was supposed to end this madness but I'm not sure the IDE-mode is working its "magic") or see if there's a new firmware version for your mobo.

Thanks guys.

Another thing, I just notice that( in disk management) my C drive is set to boot and my D drive is system. Is there a way to make the C drive both boot and system?

are any of your system files on d:
is there an o/s on d:
why would it show up as system ?
basic or dynamic disk
what does c: show up as if you disconnect d:

I thought all system files were on C, but when I looked in disk management I notice that my D drive had system next to it. Looks like this

CM2.jpg

CM.jpg

I also connected the new hdd on the sata ports on the gigabyte controller and it works fine. The other 2(C and D) are connected to the sata on AMD southbridge controller, so my system wouldn't boot when I connected the new hdd there as well.
CM.jpg

I think I know what youve done
when you had 1 hdd you connected it to the second sata port
when you installed windows it became c:
then you added a second hdd on the first sata port but it couldnt be called c: because you had a c:
you could remove the d: drive put c: on the 1st sata port you would then need to repair the boot sector possibly by running the repair console (cant remember exactly how, someone here may know or google it)

Ive just noticed a very serious fault with your hard drives, you must correct this imediately.
your drives are not filled with Gaming Goodness, you are bringing shame upon b3d fix it before you are asked to leave....

Thanks a lot Davros. So if I switch the sata connections, my system will still boot up normally? I just have to run repair console after that, just so I understand it correctly.

As for the games issue. I'm working on it :D

Back