"Swap mouse buttons" function bugged in XP?

Guden Oden

Legend
Due to an unfortunate incident, my mouse is now slightly f**ked and the LMB won't work. So I switched 'em around in the windows mouse control panel applet to be able to at least toy around with my PC until tomorrow when I can go get this remedied.

However... It seems windows does not fully swap around the buttons when the swap buttons checkbox is checked. Or something happens along the way that screws with the process. When I try to move an IE window, I can drag it for one or a few seconds and then the window 'seizes' and won't let itself be moved anymore. It's also not possible to resize it, even when selecting resize from the system menu after that happens. Furthermore, clicking and HOLDING the RMB over the close icon in the top right corner will immediately close that particular IE instance, and I can't drag/drop icons on the desktop either.

Fiddling around with windows, opening/closing them etc, will "unstick" the movement ability until it bugs out again.

Weirdo windows glitch unique to my system, or repeatable on other PCs? For the record, I'm using a Logitech G5 mouse with the custom drivers uninstalled.

Guden Oden said:
I'm using a Logitech G5 mouse with the custom drivers uninstalled.

AFAICR you're still using the two-years old Windows preinstalled by Dell, right? How about a fresh reformat/reinstall? That would prolly cure your problems with the gfx card as well.

This PC's not even one year old actually, and it would seem there was something weird with the right button too on the broken mouse, probably right-and-hold-clicks were like, only superfast single clicks or something, thus making it impossible to drag stuff around.

I got the mouse replaced today, and now everything works just peachy, including switching the buttons around. Not that I'd want to anymore. :)

I will reinstall, but not just yet. Will have to buy another HDD first.

Back