Wireless mouse: Logitech MX900 Impressions!

Guden Oden

Legend
This thing looks very impressive. It is also very expensive, and HEAVY. It comes in the biggest box I've ever seen a mouse come in (undoubtedly just for show, so people will be even more impressed).

Opening the big mother of a box up, one finds five things inside. 1: Mouse, obviously. 2: Base station/charger, with built-in bluetooth hub. 3: Power wall-wart for the charger. 4: 2 AA-size rechargeable NiMH batteries. 5: CDROM + printed quick start guide.

The mouse looks basically just like all the other better MX-series mice, in shiny pearl-grey and...well, dark not shiny grey, except there's a bluetooth logo silkscreened onto the butt of the mouse as well. It has two main buttons, a clickable scroll wheel and two "cruise control" buttons above and below the wheel, which basically do the same as the scroll wheel. There's also an application switch button on top of the mouse, and two browser forward/back buttons near the thumb rest. A small LED behind the app switch button (which by the way is the only button not doing anything without the driver software installed) will blink red if battery power goes down to around 33% or less. It will blink green while charging in the base station. That's all the mouse will do then by the way - it's literally disconnected from the computer and won't react to any input in charger mode. There's also a small "connect" button on the bottom side of the mouse which one uses to connect it with the computer - duh. :) There's also a matching blue-glowing connect button on the charger base-station, but the function of that is a bit more obscure. It is to be used in case the connect button on the mouse did not work, it seems.

The installation procedure is very straight-forward. Connect wall-wart power adaptor to the USB plug (nifty solution that helps with cable clutter on the desk), stick USB plug into computer or any USB hub, though the connection cable is rather thick and heavy, so it best be a sturdy hub in that case, like one built into a monitor or something. Also, hubs cause a minor bit of lag as well. Finally, insert batteries, then stick wall-wart into wall socket and mouse into base station. Charge for...well, a while. 4 or so hours, I guess, I've actually not timed the mouse, as it's been charging while I've been asleep.

NiMH batteries don't have any discernible memory effect, so topping up the charge is not supposed to be a problem, though I guess it's best to drain them completely and then charge to full, at least in the beginning, since it takes a couple charges for the batteries to reach maximum capacity. They're rated at 1800mAh, which is pretty high. I did not expect that of Logitech, I assumed they'd send along cheaper 1300-1500mAh batteries instead, but since the bluetooth connection seems to draw more power than the RF link used in the MX-700, maybe that made them more generous, what do I know? I have no idea what batteries the MX-700 comes with...

Battery life is pretty good from what I can tell. First charge was only about 2 hours (with some residual energy left in them, might be added) because I wanted to start using the mouse, and on that it ran for a full day, transmitting nearly 5MB of data to the host system. Second charge, the mouse ran for two days and transmitted almost 14MB of data. I'm now into second day of third charge, over 10.5MB transmitted and the battery light has yet to start blinking. I think it is safe to say, battery life is not going to be much of an issue. One can always put the mouse back in the base station when leaving the pooter, and it will top up the batteries only if needed.

Other aspects of the hardware is that it seems to be of good quality, it's certainly well-designed - very stylish color scheme and excellent build precision, with a bit of a question mark about the scroller wheel, which was always sort of a weak spot with my old MX500 mouse (may it rest in peace). Logitech tends to make sort of flimsy scroller wheels, but the mouse has 5 years warranty after all, so it should be sufficiently well-built I think.

All buttons can be reconfigured through the rather ugly Logitech-provided driver software. It also monitors battery status, and will show a warning icon in the systray when about a third of capacity remains, if it is set to show up in the systray. Unfortunately the battery icon will not replace the standard icon, so you'll have two mouse-related icons cluttering up the tray. Bit of an oversight there I have to say. None of the extra buttons can be used in games, unless the buttons are set in the driver software to perform a keypress, and then configure the game to use that keypress for that function. Bummer! To be fair, this is true to the extra buttons on all mice, to my knowledge anyway. One issue here is I can't get the middle mouse button to work in any games either, but that is undoubtedly a minor bug.

The mouse will in fact work even without installing the driver software at all. Or at least it did on my WinXP Home system, where I had had a Bluetake bluetooth dongle installed previously using the exact same bluetooth stack as Logitech does in their driver - though I did uninstall that one first. Dunno if that made a difference. Anyway, the mouse was detected and worked from the get-go despite it is wireless. Don't ask me how it was possible, I have no answer to that! :) Only AFTER installing the software did it STOP working, and then only until I rebooted the system, then it was finally there for good.

It does NOT work in BIOS emulation mode though. :( This means no mouse in a DOS environment or in the windows install program or such, unless there is a corded mouse connected to the system (usually needs to be attached to the first USB root hub).

Logitech has always made lots of hoo-haah about their "MX optical engine", which samples at 8kHz, and supposedly captures twice the amount of pixels compared to other optical mice (at the time of the MX series' release anyway, dunno now). Don't really understand why, because the hype seems a bit over-exaggerated to me. A bit of my own optical mouse history will now follow:

I first owned the original Microsoft Explorer optical mouse which sampled at 1.5kHz. It got confused at very fast turns in FPS games, where it either stuttered more or less in place, or zoomed off in one direction leaving me standing with my gun pointing up in the air, spinning around like a madman. Keeping mouse movements to a reasonable speed by bumping the acceleration/sensitivity settings a bit made it quite useable as a gaming mouse though, and I killed many a scumbag with it too with no problems whatsoever.

The standard Dell mouse pad confused it a bit though with its series of tiny beveled edges in the surface, especially around the edges of the airbrush-like printed button motif at the middle of the pad. On the edges, the mouse would mistrack or again make me spin round and round. Next upgrade was to an Explorer 3.0 optical mouse sampling at 3kHz. It tracked flawlessly on that pad, never even once did I get any stuttering or jumping about, no matter how quickly I moved the mouse.

Then the MX series appeared, and I bought the MX-500 since I did not like the RF technology used in the MX-700, it was also cheaper than its cordless brother. Despite all the hype of extra resolution and 8kHz sample rate, it had terrible tracking performance! On the same standard Dell mouse pad the Explorer 3.0 handled without a hitch, the pointer stuttered about very erratically, often going in a different direction or even backwards than the one I wanted, so I had to replace the mouse pad with a different one.

The MX-900 is much better in that regard, though not perfect. It still mistracks on the upper right corner of the pad, though it only seems to be at a very small spot, so by sticking to the center of the pad, it works just fine. I haven't had any mistracks when gaming, so it's not any kind of real problem. Still, that it exists at all is a bit of a puzzle and a slight disappointment. To be fair, the Dell mouse pad seems to be very evil to optical mice, and using the MX-900 on one I used the MX-500 with was of course no problem at all.

So can cordless mice be gamed with? Even cordless BLUETOOTH mice?

Short answer: YES.

Longer answer: hardcore gamers want to stay away. Why? Well... The mouse is HEAVY, which means more inertia, and it does tire your wrist more than a standard mouse. I've had a bit of ache in my hand after a long gaming session, something that's never happened before. I suppose it's a getting used-to issue, and lighter batteries can probably fix the weight issue to some extent, but it will never be as light and quick-footed as a corded mouse. Also, the mouse power-saves quite heavily, which means if you leave it still for a short while it will start blinking the LED, and probably shut off its bluetooth transmitter too and such, because there is a slight delay of maybe half a second when the mouse doesn't move when it is nudged. It's very short, but it's definitely there. Also, there's a very VERY minor lag in mouse pointer movements. I am very picky and I can just barely make it out, it's on the order of 1/10th of a second AT MOST, very very tiny really, but again, it IS there. A power gamer will likely get used to it like I did, but might just as well get upset with it or annoyed by it. Finally, pointer update rate is not an even 125Hz, like it is with corded USB mice, it's slower and not as regular. Now, it's still pretty quick, quicker than the standard 40Hz rate of PS/2 mice, but once more, it is not AS quick as a corded mouse. I turned on mouse smoothing in the games I play, and that fixed that issue. Casual players probably won't notice any of this, serious gamers should still be able to enjoy the mouse even with FPS games, hardcorers should have a try-and-see approach.

Cordless mice means more freedom, but why cordless BLUETOOTH mouse? MX-700 RF connection is supposed to be fast and lag-free!

Well... Because bluetooth stuff is cool. :) I'm a nerd, okay? :) Means I like gadgets, and there are lots of gadget uses for bluetooth. So why not kill two birds with one stone I thought, I needed a new mouse anyway as the MX-500 was worn out. I have a Sony-Ericsson T610 cellular phone with built-in camera in it. Now, the camera is pretty rotten, but it still has its uses, and with bluetooth I can easily fetch the images stored in its tiny 2MB flashrom memory to prevent it from filling up without even having to get the cellphone out of my jacket pocket.

Also, I own a Sony-Ericsson HBH-35 bluetooth headset which I use with the phone sometimes, and now also the PC. Pairing the headset with the PC is easy, and then it is just a matter of selecting bluetooth audio as the input/playback device and press the connect button on the headset to activate the audio link when for example voice communicating over the internet. It's not recommended to use it for general sound playback, it's mono for starters and the sample rate and frequency range is atrocious. It's about the quality of a GSM phone call, which means 'pretty darn bad, really'. Listening to music through this thing is almost painful actually. :)

Anyway, the option is there if one wants to try it. It works, one doesn't have to fiddle with cables behind the computer etc (since most lack front-mounted headphone/mic jacks). It's actually easy to use too, I had no problems detecting the headset or getting it to play sound, which means the software should handle most bluetooth devices without too much trouble I hope. The bluetooth software has lots of support built into it right from the start, not just the audio device bit, but also printing, networking, modem emulation etc.

So, in conclusion...

Positive:
Good quality
Flashy, smart design
Many reconfigurable buttons
No need to change batteries - recharger in base station
Won't overcharge batteries - smart charger
Bluetooth hub works with devices OTHER than the mouse
Painless software and hardware installation
Long warranty - 5 years
Neat overall

Negative:
Heavy
Slight lag in mouse movements at times
May mistrack on difficult surfaces
Expensive!

Thanks for taking the time to write up your thoughts. I found them helpful in thinking about what I may do to replace my aging, but still extremely effective first generation Intellimouse Explorer.

I just wanted to say thanks as well... I had thought about getting this mouse, as my intellimouse is starting to die, but I will stay away from it for now. I even asked for it for christmas, but no one got it :)... anyway I play quake3 mods so you can see why I don't want it...

The reason I did want it is that I wanted bluetooth, b/c I am a nerd, and I wanted to use it instead of buying a remote control...

What's the range like with the mouse? I have the Logitech DUO but the mouse doesn't seem to work beyond 8 feet. I also tried a MX700 but it seems to fade out around the same distance. This makes using a mouse with the upstairs 61" HDTV a real PITA unless I'm sitting too close to the screen. :(

Great stuff. Shouldn't this be in the beta reviews forum? :)

Guden Oden said:
I have no idea what batteries the MX-700 comes with...
The MX-700 comes with 3YD High Power Rechargeable NiMH AA 1.2V 1700mAh batteries.

Logitech tends to make sort of flimsy scroller wheels
I don't know if they are the same, but I think the MX-700 has an ok scroller wheel. Now my old Mouseman though... :?

None of the extra buttons can be used in games, unless the buttons are set in the driver software to perform a keypress, and then configure the game to use that keypress for that function. Bummer!
This would depend on the game really. I have configured my continous up/down scroll buttons to PGUP and PGDOWN. Works great when browsing too. You could set your middle button as just that: "Middle button". Works fine in games. :) More recent games (not all), will detect your thumb buttons as well. I have disabled the app switch button though. Too easy to hit by accident.

It does NOT work in BIOS emulation mode though. This means no mouse in a DOS environment or in the windows install program or such, unless there is a corded mouse connected to the system (usually needs to be attached to the first USB root hub).
Does it have a usb->ps2 adapter?

There's also a small "connect" button on the bottom side of the mouse which one uses to connect it with the computer - duh. There's also a matching blue-glowing connect button on the charger base-station, but the function of that is a bit more obscure. It is to be used in case the connect button on the mouse did not work, it seems.
This is for changing channels. I have a second MX-700 here, so when the first one is out of power, I put it in the charger and hit connect on the charger and then on the other mouse. Nifty really. :)

DarN said:
Great stuff. Shouldn't this be in the beta reviews forum? :)

Well, it isn't beta, heh. :)

The MX-700 comes with 3YD High Power Rechargeable NiMH AA 1.2V 1700mAh batteries.

So, slightly more "oomphy" batteries for the MX-900. There's a sticker on the inside of the battery lid that says to replace with similar batteries only, and suggests 1500-1900mAh. Now, I know there are 2200mAh NiMH batteries available, and probably even more powerful, not sure if the charger would like those. I don't really see why it shouldn't though... Anyway, battery life is more than sufficient with the current set, I get more than two days out of them with serious gaming action. Normal useage, they'd probably last five days or more.

You could set your middle button as just that: "Middle button". Works fine in games. :)

Unfortunately, that is not an option in my version of the software! Very strange. I have two types of autoscroll - one that works, and one that is totally useless, and a bunch of other BS options, but no middle mousebutton option. :mad:

More recent games (not all), will detect your thumb buttons as well

And which would these be? Haven't found a single one that does so. I could use the thumb button of my ages-old Mouseman+ (best damn ball mouse I ever used!) in Jedi Knight - Dark Forces II (one of the best Star Wars games ever made IMO - great mood, but some of the levels are unfortunately rather stupid). These new-fangled back/forward thumb buttons don't work in anything in my experience...

I have disabled the app switch button though. Too easy to hit by accident.

Hm, I've never hit it by mistake. In fact, I find it kind of awkward to use.

Does it have a usb->ps2 adapter?

Nope, but if you're very brave you might try one that comes from a previous mouse. Anyway, why would you want to use PS/2 interface anyway? It's sh!te, lots of latency, runs over legacy ISA interface, needs an interrupt all by itself, etc... A waste of space on any modern mobo.

This is for changing channels.

On the MX-700, yes, but bluetooth don't have any user-selectable channels. It selects channels automatically, and in fact actively channel-hops to make eavesdropping on the connection more difficult (and probably more error-resistant too, in case certain frequencies are more prone to interference).

I have a second MX-700 here, so when the first one is out of power, I put it in the charger and hit connect on the charger and then on the other mouse. Nifty really. :)

Heh, well as it turns out, the connect button on the charger on a MX-900 starts the bluetooth pairing wizard, and the wizard will set the base station to scan for pairable devices with a click or two. Damn convenient I have to say, in case one wants to connect up a new peripheral. The mouse is actually (well, hopefully anyway, hehe) auto-detected just by pulling it off the charger... It may take a few moments, but it usually comes alive after a couple seconds.

And, the range is maybe five or so meters before the signal strength meter starts to get really low. I wouldn't suggest using it at a full 10m. Also, it'll burn much more battery at greater range. As it is now there's like 25cm at most from the base station to the mouse, so the transmitter probably runs at its lowest output setting.

Sxotty said:
anyway I play quake3 mods so you can see why I don't want it...

Well, it's actually not that much of a hindrance after a little while of getting used to. I've had it for a week now and my wrist isn't getting tired anymore. The lag also isn't as much of an issue either, I notice it less and less now. When playing a FPS, the big powersave mode lag will almost NEVER kick in, it takes like 30 seconds before the mouse enters powersaving mode. Unless you're a total camper which don't look around any at all, it won't happen... The constant transmission lag is like I said, extremely minor. I've played lots of single-player half-life and blue shift these past few days, I don't notice it. I only see it in windows if I keep my eyes on the mouse pointer while jiggling the mouse back and forth quickly.

Tiny tiny lag.

You should try the mouse before condemning it. :) The biggest issue might actually be the missing third mouse button in the driver software. Until Logitech fixes that oversight my playstyle is cramped in a number of games, Half-Life included. I'm used to shoot double shotgun blasts and such with the middle button... :(

Guden Oden said:
Unfortunately, that is not an option in my version of the software! Very strange. I have two types of autoscroll - one that works, and one that is totally useless, and a bunch of other BS options, but no middle mousebutton option.
Hm. That's strange indeed. You should try the Logitech Advanced Settings Utility for MouseWare. Here's a description of what it does. This will detect games and apply your settings accordingly.

And which would these be? Haven't found a single one that does so. I could use the thumb button of my ages-old Mouseman+ (best damn ball mouse I ever used!) in Jedi Knight - Dark Forces II (one of the best Star Wars games ever made IMO - great mood, but some of the levels are unfortunately rather stupid). These new-fangled back/forward thumb buttons don't work in anything in my experience...
Flawless detection of MB1-5:
Morrowind, UT2003, Contract Jack, Armed & Dangerous, Freelancer, Max Payne 2(&1?). There are many more.

Hm, I've never hit it by mistake. In fact, I find it kind of awkward to use.
I found it awkward too, but only when using it on purpose. Heh, weird.

Anyway, why would you want to use PS/2 interface anyway? It's sh!te, lots of latency, runs over legacy ISA interface, needs an interrupt all by itself, etc... A waste of space on any modern mobo.
Because of the BIOS emulation issue you mentioned earlier?

DarN said:
Hm. That's strange indeed. You should try the Logitech Advanced Settings Utility for MouseWare

Thanks man, I will. Hope it doesn't f*ck anything up, since it doesn't appear on the MX-900 downloads screen. :LOL:

Flawless detection of MB1-5:
Morrowind, UT2003, Contract Jack, Armed & Dangerous, Freelancer, Max Payne 2(&1?). There are many more.

Hmmmmmmmm... Interesting. I will have to give the buttons another go, I didn't actually use the mouseware drivers for my MX-500 for a LONG time, maybe they enabled them in later versions...

Anyway, why would you want to use PS/2 interface anyway?
Because of the BIOS emulation issue you mentioned earlier?

Hm, well, actually I use my old MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 for that. I got so many USB ports it's no bother having 2 mice plugged in at the same time. Also, it's good to have as backup should I suffer an unexpected battery failure. :) That happened while I was "burning in" the batteries, I was knee-deep in dead bodies in Wolf3D when suddenly the mouse cut out on me. :)

Heh, the advanced settings program thingy won't work on my box since the MX-900 doesn't run normal mouseware. It doesn't have those registry settings at all. However, there was an update on the Logitech website which I'd missed, and now the third button is working. I just set it as "generic button" and then it works just the way it is supposed to. Lobbing grenades with the grenade launcher in Half-Life has never been easier. :)

Back