Super Mario Galaxy Trailer

Thanks man! So what are everyones impressions so far? The servers are getting hammered it'll take me an hour or so before I get it :(

Absolutely marvellous. It seems like Nintendo really tried to make the "planetoid" as diverse and different as possible. More puzzles than usual, it seems. Graphics are ok, at least definitely better than other Wii titles. I am excited for this one.

hard to get excited over this after seeing little big world

Uhhh little big world has absolutely nothing to do with this. 1. They're on different systems. 2. Ones a full 3D singleplayer platformer while the other thrives on multiplayer and is 2.5D.

How does one influence your decision on the other?

There's some good shader and effects work there, I've also liked some of the large metallic surfaces in the video and creatures look good as well.

But the screenshots show a lot of aliasing and such :(

There's some good shader and effects work there, I've also liked some of the large metallic surfaces in the video and creatures look good as well.

But the screenshots show a lot of aliasing and such :(
Yeah, that was my biggest trouble with it at E3. The game looked great and like a sizeable leap beyond previous-gen achievements, but the size of those jaggies made it pretty apparent that the hardware running it wasn't a full generational leap ahead.

Looks nifty and imaginative, but I'm really wondering if the gameplay will be there. From what they've been showing, it seems to be concentrating more on oddball perspectives and freneticism, and actual "skill" may get overshadowed.

Only time will tell on that point, I suppose.

Well, the Mario games have always been about gameplay and I love 'em. The trailer looks like the game should be pretty good with plenty of variety of gameplay. I bought an N64 just for Super Mario 64 (sold it to a friend immediately afterwards), got a Gamecube for Super Mario Sunshine (though I also bought a few other games for this) and I'll be getting a Wii when Super Mario Galaxy is released. :smile:

Hoping for a price reduction first, however, as I think the price of Wii is still a little steep for what you get.

I'm certainly willing to give them the benefit of the doubt... I'm just expressing some. ;)

Mario 64 almost had me buying a N64 for that, but in the end there weren't enough games for me to find it compelling, and I kinda stopped paying attention before the Zeldas came out. I played N64 out (had, like, 5 stars left) on a friend's machine, so I got my game on anyway. :p

The Gamecube I picked up after it was $99--and Platinum!--but I did pick up Sunshine right away to continue where I'd left off on the same friends' machine. Hehe... That one I got to the point of only needing all the blue coins, which is not a "collection" I'm willing to spend for frickin' ever completing as I'd gotten anything else meaningful.

Plus, there was plenty else to do in the Sly's, Jak's, and Ratchet's. :smile:

Looks nifty and imaginative, but I'm really wondering if the gameplay will be there. From what they've been showing, it seems to be concentrating more on oddball perspectives and freneticism, and actual "skill" may get overshadowed.

Only time will tell on that point, I suppose.

I suspect they have been showing some very specific parts of the game that show a lot of those new mechanics (small planetoids...), and that the final product will be agenced a bit differently. Didn't the demo at E3 feature a much larger planet/level ?

The on-stage demo, or demos running on the floor?

I don't remember much huge and sprawling like any of the environments of previous Mario titles, as they all get split into little bite-sized planetoids. The biggest thing I remember was the robot boss you had to climb up on. (Oh noes! Mario is stealing from SotC! :p )

There was one called "Star World" that looked like a typical Mario start, but even then it was more of a "big hill," at which point you were trying to shoot off to another area. You get an appreciation of distance as you're flying around in space, but sadly you don't get the sheer size and amazing scenery you got from some of the SMS levels.

Back