~~Stupid Quotes from the Street: Come Share Yours~~

I was at EB Games yesterday and a fat, sex-depraved guy in his early 30's holding a Star Wars action figure said to the clerk:

"When's the PS3 coming out?"

Clerk: "Probably next Holiday."

"Dang, that's a long time."

Clerk: "Yeah, I guess."

"I heard it's supposed to be 15 times more powerful than the PS2 and the Xbox 360." (He unknowingly implied that the PS2 and Xbox 360 were comparable in power).

I just shaked my head and laughed inside. I guess I could have corrected him, but I got that feeling in my chest like you know that anything you said or do wouldn't make a damn bit of difference. So I just left. I'd totally do the clerk though, she was cute in an Emo kind of way.

I know it's one guy and he's insignificant, but still. How did he come to believe this? Then my disappointment turned into admiration for Sony. Damn, these guys are good. Whatever they said or did was damn good and they deserve to win the next generation of consoles. Talk about mindshare.

Now, is this before or after you found out you wouldn't be getting a launch console? ;)

(sorry, had to!)

Alpha btw, I think this thread is a little too... you know, they're just not very B3D. This 'share your wacky experience' type stuff. I mean what is the purpose here?

We had someone come in on my friends shift and ask if it was true that the ps3 was the size of the pstwo and would only cost 200$ at launch and would be more powerfull than the xbox 360

The best has to be the dude who keeps coming in telling us neo geo is going to launch a console next year at the 1000$ price point and that he read it at gamespot

xbdestroya said:
Now, is this before or after you found out you wouldn't be getting a launch console? ;)

(sorry, had to!)

Alpha btw, I think this thread is a little too... you know, they're just not very B3D. This 'share your wacky experience' type stuff. I mean what is the purpose here?
After. So it added insult to my injury. What a major kick in the ass to hear something like that.

Does Sony hire people to walk into crowds and start rumors. :p I know Sony does covert marketing where a guy in street clothes would go into a public place with a PSP or something and start playing it in front of people. Then when people start looking at him he offers to give them a play test and then tells them about the system. I'm not against that, in fact I think it's ingenious (Sony isn't the only one by a long shot, movie companies do it as well).

And as for this thread, we just do a lot of this on Anandtech where we share crazy tech support/clerk stories ("You can only play this game if you purchase [insert latest high-end graphics card here]").

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, you wouldn't believe the type of crap I hear at game stores.

Even my beloved friends, the EB staff, are often subject to poor information.

I generally cant go to EB Games or a similair store, simply the mis information I hear on one visit is enough to drive one mad. I dont know how a well educated worker about hardware/games could stand to work there unless they had very sick humor. :p

I called my Gamestop and the guy was seriously trying to get me to preorder the 360 games because a bunch of them will be released before the console comes out so I can pick it up. He said Kameo, PDZ, Ghost Recon, and PGR3 will be out before the console gets out. including some of the peripherals.

Me, I have a brother who works at Target so I'm going to go to Target since it's first come first serve rather than try to get it on the waiting list at GS.

Back