My mainboard went dead. The interesting part is how it died.

Rurouni

Veteran
So I was installing a new ram, replacing the old 8GB set to 16GB. Although it is rated for 2400MHz, the mainboard is very sensitive to the timing (or it is AMD Kaveri?), thus I must experiment multiple times. So here is the weird part, on my last effort, it somehow rebooted AND it said it was installing the mainboard firmware! WTF! I don't even have a firmware file in the root folder of any of my drive. I don't know how it got there, but eventually after it did its business, my mainboard went dead. I tried the AMIBOOT.ROM trick to no avail. Damn, there goes another unexpected expenses :(
I was on Biostar a88w, a high end FM2 mainboard. I switched to Asrock, which is 2/3rd of the price. I don't get the audio amp and built in cir (for ir remote), but I do get M2(?) connector (for SSD), and 1 USB 3.1 port. Don't know how good the OC is since I haven't touch it yet. It ran at default clock and the ram at 1333MHz. Hopefully I can at least run the ram at 2400MHz.
I also see an interesting problem at the computer shop. There was someone with Win10 experiencing problem, thus in the end chose to reinstall Win8 (he came from Win8). So upon reinstalling, the Win8 installer won't install to the HDD because the HDD use MBR instead of GPT. It is one of those WTF moment because Win8 was installed on it and it upgraded to Win10. I would guess that he might be upgrading from Win7, but why the limitation is there in the first place especially since it did ran on MBR previously? Anyway, the guy ended up buying a new HDD (or SSD) and install the system in it.

Also the elevator was dead, so I had to carry that heavy thing (the whole casing) to the 5th floor where the store is located. Escalator worked tho.

The only way that could happen is if @orangpelupa's cat somehow managed to access my PC remotely and initiate the kill switch button... which is possible of course.
The fact that it happened without even asking for my permission, just immediately show red background (the bios use red background) and immediately flashing is strange and a bit disturbing.

It is better than my co-worker laptop where her laptop was hit by cerber3 ransomware, and it seems a bit different variant than the cerber3 that was out there right now because the file extension isn't cerber3 but 123 or xyz, I forgot, but it was definitely cerber3. Since there is no more holes in cerber3, it is either paid up or just wipe the PC (since cleaning it a bit useless, all of the important files already encrypted).

The only way that could happen is if @orangpelupa's cat somehow managed to access my PC remotely and initiate the kill switch button... which is possible of course.
The fact that it happened without even asking for my permission, just immediately show red background (the bios use red background) and immediately flashing is strange and a bit disturbing.

It is better than my co-worker laptop where her laptop was hit by cerber3 ransomware, and it seems a bit different variant than the cerber3 that was out there right now because the file extension isn't cerber3 but 123 or xyz, I forgot, but it was definitely cerber3. Since there is no more holes in cerber3, it is either paid up or just wipe the PC (since cleaning it a bit useless, all of the important files already encrypted).

What many people don't realize is that Orangpelupa's cat is the evil twin of Schrödinger's cat.

Regards,
SB

Either all manufacturers must have a special production line feeding Indonesia with sub par hardware or you boys must be doing something wrong because the sheer amount of weird ass problems you keep having can't possible be all bad luck :LOL:

Back