streaming video from XP to X360

can this help?

wonkyMedia - our DLNA Certifiedâ„¢ MediaServer - enables you to share all your Music, Pictures and Videos with standard UPnP-enabled client devices throughout your home. A pure music version - TwonkyMusic - is available as well.

The TwonkyMedia / TwonkyMusic are not only available for Windows XP, Macintosh and Linux, but also for a number of embedded devices and network attached storaged devices (see here). This gives you the option to share your content without using a PC or having a PC online all the time. TwonkyMedia also comes pre-installed on several devices.

No matter whether you are an end user or a device manufacturer - we have the right licence model for you.

Device manufacturers may

* bundle TwonkyMedia with UPnP-enabled Media Players,
* pre-install TwonkyMedia in embedded devices like PVRs, NAS, or routers,
* acquire the full source code as part of the TwonkyVision UPnP SDK.

Our mature implementation guarantees a short time to market and provides a significant competitive advantage. Through the lifetime of your product our maintenance services assure interoperability with other UPnP-enabled products without the hassle of interworking tests on your side. TwonkyMedia is UPnP and DLNA CERTIFIEDâ„¢ (on ASUS V6000). TwonkyVision also assists device manufacturers through the whole UPnP and DLNA certification process.

End-users may directly buy TwonkyMedia run-time versions from our online shop.

Main characteristics of the MediaServer

TwonkyMedia needs fewer resources and is faster than other UPnP Media Servers, but still provides more features which help the user to enjoy large media collections. If you care about usability, TwonkyMedia is the right choice for you.

* Easy to setup,
* support for major media formats,
* convenient navigation on large media collections,
* very short response time,
* multiple language support,
* highly customizable (including navigation structure),
* easy handling of thousands of media items,
* Internet radio,
* interfaces to 3rd party applications like iTunes, Winamp, Adobe Photoshop Album,
* synchronize the same music on several media players throughout the home,
* search actions allow you to easily find a specific piece of content (depending on client support)
* supports a large variety of UPnP streaming clients (see our device compatibility list)
* integrated client adaptation layer to support special media player capabilities,
* available for all operating systems and embedded devices like NAS, STBs and PVRs*,
* small footprint and very small memory consumption,
* stable code base deployed in various products and tested at UPnP and DLNA plugfests.

How does it work?

The MediaServer can scan your HD for music, picture and video content. It hereby automatically extracts the available metadata. For WAV files a filename naming schema is supported which enables you to provide information about Title, Album and Artist of the music track.

In addition the MediaServer is integrated with existing Media Management tools like Winamp, iTunes or Photoshop Album. It utilizes the metadata libraries of these tools. Playlists created with Winamp or the Windows Media Player can be imported by the MediaServer as well.

For client devices which do not directly support Internet Radio, the MediaServer acts as a proxy and translates Internet Radio Stations. For these clients each Radio Station looks like one never ending MP3 song which can be selected and played like a normal locally available piece of music.

From the avalable metadata the MediaServer automatically creates a navigation tree.

Navigation on music collections

TwonkyMusic provides you with a much more flexible navigation structure than any other media server. Most media servers just organize your music according to your own folder structure and - if you are luckky - organize your tracks into the categories Artist, Album, Genre, and all Tracks. But there are much more comfortable ways to navigate to the desired track. TwonkyMusic provides you by default with a further navigation level including categories like Genre/Artist, Artist/Album, Year/Album, Year/Artist, and Alpha/Artist. Alpha group search is in particular very convenient when your client device only has a very small display.

Compilations are handled separately by the MediaServer, so that it does not create separate Artist entries for each song of a compilation.

Examples of default and customized navigation tress are provided here. Please note, that these are only examples for the navigation structure. The actual layout is determined by your MusicPlayer.

Pictures and Videos

For pictures the MediaServer supports inbuilt transcoding of all kinds of requested picture sizes and picture formats - e.g. transcoding of JPEG pictures to YUV for the Sony clients. Pictures are initially poor on metadata, but you may use Adobe Photoshop Album to add descriptions and apply your own set of tags. The MediaServer imports descriptions and tag information from this application and utilizes it to built your personalized navigation structure based on your tags. If there are no tags provided for your pictures the MediaServer will use the folder view which is also unsed in case of video content.

Content fomats

* Music: MP3, WMA, WAV, 3GP, M4A, MP4, LPCM, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC
* Photo: JPEG
* Video: MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG2-TS, MPEG4, AVI, WMV, VOB, DivX, 3GP, VDR
* Internet Radio: vTuner, Shoutcast
* Playlists: WPL, PLS, M3U

Client support

To support as many clients as possible is one of our main concerns. Not only that TwonkyMedia supports a large variety of UPnP enabled clients - it also automatically detects the connected client devices and can react on their special abilities. A music client for example is not provided with the entries for pictures or videos and clients which support quick navigation keys on the remote control like the D-Link are directly provided with the corresponding content when the short key is pressed.

http://www.twonkyvision.de/Products/TwonkyMedia/index.html

No matter how good this program is, I would never willingly download, install or run a program with the word "twonky" in its name...

It's a matter of principle.

I belive Xbox360 has some upnp capabilties, but i don't know if it includes video or only music.

The big question is what formats it will accept, if it's only wmv the server software will have to convert the video files on the fly wich works ok (i've only tryed with my d-link 320 and converting to mpeg1 on the fly).

There are upnp servers with xbox360 support as well like tversity (www.tversity.com).

www.dlna.org is another good resource on the subject..

And i belive the sony Bravia X series lcd tv will have upnp/dlna support for mpeg2 at least..

From reading these sites, the Xbox360 only supports Music and Pictures via UPNP (all sites specifically say you can't stream video to the 360 via UPNP).

Tom Crews

I have twonky on my iMac, if you go back months and months ago, I think you will see that MSFT does not use uPnP for video, which is why we are relegated to MCE for video. As someone that built a PC just for this very thing, I am rather impressed. With hdtvpump and transcode 360, to me it is better than xbmc. the fact that it can handle .ts "natively" makes MCE an easy suggestion for me. but don't listen to me I have MSDN so it doesn't cost me anything. I am thinking of making some room on the pc for a Vista Ultimate install this weekend to see how it plays with the 360.

Do to some unforeseen events, coding is on hold at the moment...this makes me sad.

Back