Steve Ballmer sells Windows 1.0, hilarious!!!

Despite all the serious shortcomings of Microsoft products I've used, mostly with regards to security and stability, (Let's not mention WindowsME) their undeniable skill in making things user friendly, especially in their latest products, warrants respect. It may not be the greatest there is, but it is very good.

I'm taking a class where we have to work from a Unix command line interface, or failing that a KDE desktop, and I'm reminded constantly of the things that I value in Windows that I like to call "Things That Don't Waste My Goddamned Time(tm)".

Perhaps the particular installation, release kernel, GUI package, and HAL are out of date, or some settings hidden in config files somewhere are poorly chosen. I don't know, but such things should not have any bearing on my getting the things I need done finished as quickly and hassle free as possible.

3dilettante said:
Despite all the serious shortcomings of Microsoft products I've used, mostly with regards to security and stability, (Let's not mention WindowsME) their undeniable skill in making things user friendly, especially in their latest products, warrants respect. It may not be the greatest there is, but it is very good..
No it's not. It might be better than previous versions of windows, but then, almost anything is.
windows xp (and the associated programs and packages) is chockfull of modes, duplicate functionalities, inconsistencies, sluggishness, half implemented features etc.
In other words, poor design.
I wont say that OSX is that much better, it has done many of the same things wrong, although to a lesser extent.
UIs as they work today, is overwhelming to novice users and cumbersome and awkward to more demanding and experienced users.
I believe the it is fully possible to meet most users needs with one well designed interface, where things have been really thought through in a scientific and careful manner, instead of the ad hock and subjective way UIs are designed today.

Squeak said:
3dilettante said:
Despite all the serious shortcomings of Microsoft products I've used, mostly with regards to security and stability, (Let's not mention WindowsME) their undeniable skill in making things user friendly, especially in their latest products, warrants respect. It may not be the greatest there is, but it is very good..
No it's not. It might be better than previous versions of windows, but then, almost anything is.
windows xp (and the associated programs and packages) is chockfull of modes, duplicate functionalities, inconsistencies, sluggishness, half implemented features etc.
In other words, poor design.
I wont say that OSX is that much better, it has done many of the same things wrong, although to a lesser extent.
UIs as they work today, is overwhelming to novice users and cumbersome and awkward to more demanding and experienced users.
I believe the it is fully possible to meet most users needs with one well designed interface, where things have been really thought through in a scientific and careful manner, instead of the ad hock and subjective way UIs are designed today.

Perhaps I'm just used to crappy UIs then. In which case, Microsoft gets points for just not sucking as horribly as most others do.

Perhaps I'm just used to crappy UIs then. In which case, Microsoft gets points for just not sucking as horribly as most others do.
What others? The Mac is still better (although they are not trying very hard to). Various Free Software and Open Source projects, that are made with zero budget, lacks organisation and direction, though some of them are giving it a very good stab, considering their funds.

That is the problem in a nutshell, microsoft has and underserved monopoly, and they don’t care about the great responsibility that monopoly puts on them, to give the consumers the best that can possible be made with the knowledge we have.

Squeak said:
What others? The Mac is still better (although they are not trying very hard to). Various Free Software and Open Source projects, that are made with zero budget, lacks organisation and direction, though some of them are giving it a very good stab, considering their funds.

Making a good stab at something doesn't automatically mean that something can't suck. Having no budget, no organization, and no direction is not what I consider to be a mitigating factor as to whether or not something sucks. It might be a good effort, and great for its means, but I'm not blowing a second more on something if there is a more convenient and streamlined way of doing things.

I've used free and open source tools. They don't all suck, I'm sure. It's just that a lot of the ones I have used do, and I don't think either an open source or proprietary solution is any more worthy of my time just because of noble efforts.

Open-source UIs suck. In many categories on the desktop, Microsoft has had the best software for years, for example, Visual Studio. No open source IDE comes close, although Eclipse is getting there, KDevelop is along way behind, VS has been around for a long time. Then there's office software. No open source challenger is as good as MS Office, and the best open source Office (OpenOffice, formerly StarOffice) was developed commercially. KDE and Gnome tried to copy OLE/COM features in Office via CORBA/DCOP, but it doesn't work as well.

When the Linux desktop is able to actually provide something better than XP, maybe you can say they don't deserve their position, but the fact of the matter is, the Linux desktop is a mess. OS X is the only real challenger.

You talk about a better UI, can you name one? It's not OSX, it's not BeOS, it's not IBM PM, almost all UIs are based off of the original Xerox paradigm. All variations on the same theme Windows uses too. So then what? ZUIs? OpenDoc? 3D UIs? No one has really come up with a simple, but powerful, easy to use UI. And with most people unable to program their VCR clocks, it's no wonder. For the last 10 years, I have heard the same arguments over and over about better UIs, and to date, no one has ever produced anything substantially better than the original Xerox mouse/window/menu/widget paradigm.

Just try explaining to the average user how to configure Xft and antialiased truetype fonts under Linux desktops.

3dilettante said:
Making a good stab at something doesn't automatically mean that something can't suck. Having no budget, no organization, and no direction is not what I consider to be a mitigating factor as to whether or not something sucks. It might be a good effort, and great for its means, but I'm not blowing a second more on something if there is a more convenient and streamlined way of doing things.
Agreed, but sometimes the reason people give up on free/open source software is because it works differently (maybe only slightly) from what they are used to.
They seem to completely forget the trouble they had back when they were learning how to use the monopoly programs.
That "power of habit" is one of the major obstacles for alternatives to microsofts programs. They not only have to be slightly better than microsofts offerings, they have to be much better, both usability wise and in term of capabilities.
Not that that is a bad thing but it does make a tremendous hurdle for developers with small/no budgets to overcome.
Firefox is a great example of this, here we have a web-browser, that is genuinely much better than ie in almost any way. Yet people are hesitating to use it, because it looks a little different from what they are used to. If you could force an ei user to use Firefox for a month I’m 99% sure he/she wouldn’t turn back to ei.

I've used free and open source tools. They don't all suck, I'm sure. It's just that a lot of the ones I have used do, and I don't think either an open source or proprietary solution is any more worthy of my time just because of noble efforts.
I’m not saying you should sacrifice your well-being to free software, but if you can see and understand why, what microsofts is doing is wrong, and then not actively try to avoid using the their products, then you are by definition of the word immoral.
Let's say that there was this evil regime (I know this an extreme analogy) that terrorised it's population, but that made some product (say oil) that the whole world had come to depend on, would you still feel indifferent about supporting them by buying their product, if there was alternatives?

DemoCoder said:
Open-source UIs suck. In many categories on the desktop, Microsoft has had the best software for years, for example, Visual Studio. No open source IDE comes close, although Eclipse is getting there, KDevelop is along way behind, VS has been around for a long time. Then there's office software. No open source challenger is as good as MS Office, and the best open source Office (OpenOffice, formerly StarOffice) was developed commercially. KDE and Gnome tried to copy OLE/COM features in Office via CORBA/DCOP, but it doesn't work as well.
I’m not sure you could get everyone to agree that VS is so good, I’ve heard more than a few people bitch about it, while praising other IDEs.
Maybe there is no one office package that matches ms office but there are several single applications that does a particular job at least as good as one of the office apps. And StarOffice/OpenOffice is not that bad at all, they more than fulfil the needs of the average home user.
ms office strength lies in the secret, proprietary file formats. If they didn’t have those other software vendors would have it much easier.
The main complaint I always hear when I suggest alternative programs to people is that “other programs are not fully compatible with word, exel, powerpoint, etc.â€.
When the Linux desktop is able to actually provide something better than XP, maybe you can say they don't deserve their position,
Let me get this straight. They deserve their position until Linux GUIs get better? Why Linux GUIs in particular? And how come they can deserve something they never earned?
but the fact of the matter is, the Linux desktop is a mess. OS X is the only real challenger.
I don’t’ now about “messâ€, “not good enough†would be more fitting I think.
It’s “just†a matter of someone taking on the responsibility of organising the development of one good GUI, just like Linus Torvalds is (still) responsible for the kernel of Linux.

Something free software developers should also really consider is changing the names and the logos they use. GNU and GNOME aren’t exactly ideal names if you want to break into the mainstream. An ugly gnu, a poorly designed penguin and a small foot are not good logos either.

You talk about a better UI, can you name one? It's not OSX, it's not BeOS, it's not IBM PM, almost all UIs are based off of the original Xerox paradigm. All variations on the same theme Windows uses too. So then what? ZUIs? OpenDoc? 3D UIs? No one has really come up with a simple, but powerful, easy to use UI. And with most people unable to program their VCR clocks, it's no wonder. For the last 10 years, I have heard the same arguments over and over about better UIs, and to date, no one has ever produced anything substantially better than the original Xerox mouse/window/menu/widget paradigm.

There has been made significant discoveries and tweaks to our knowledge on human computer interactions in the last 25 years. Yet very few of those discoveries have actually filtered down to/been adopted by the people who make GUIs. The reason? Lack of competition. It’s too expensive and is deemed futile for anyone to attempt making a new OS and GUI.
There are people working on alternative regardless, like Jef Raskin with his “The Humane Environmentâ€. A ZUI with a kind of “soft†CLI on top for commands.
I think CLIs might get a second chance, now that people have gotten used to having to write stuff to get results in various search engines and address bars.
Maybe a more error tolerant and "intelligent" CLI could be made, with input either through keyboard or microphone. Combining the speed and flexibility of a good CLI with the straight aheadness and accessibility of a GUI, could be powerful stuff.

I greatly prefer OSX to any other OS available. For whatever reason, I can navigate much more effectively in OSX than in Windows, with less effort. I only keep a PC (with XP) around for gaming anymore.

Now, if I could only have non-proprietary hardware, OSX, and the ability to play games, I would only need one computer.

BTW, have there been any good clones of OSX done with linux? I'd be willing to give them a go if they're any good.

Back