SteamVR Performance Test

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
The SteamVR test is really a GPU test, not a CPU full game engine test. To what degree a Source engine VR GPU test made by Valve is going to be reflective of CPU loads for UE4 or Unity VR games made by indie developers is anyone's guess.

The Oculus recommended CPU spec is not based on necessity from any particular benchmark or real world test, but an arbitrarily chosen line in the sand so they can give developers a known baseline spec to build against. I've been running an overclocked i7 920 and x5650 with VR for the last few years and have been fine. This is including launch content like Valkyrie through their soon to launch consumer storefront and finalized sdk. I don't have the consumer unit, so I can't comment on how these older CPUs will cope with the jump from 75Hz to 90Hz though (or what the newer constellation tracker system costs, although one would think that should be properly multithreaded).

The areas where I could see older CPUs being a problem as time goes on are with games like Elite Dangerous, Project Cars, etc that aren't built for VR from the ground up, so they will be more likely to stretch the limits of hardware specs.

Last edited:
Is there any word yet on mods for existing games to work in VR? I'd love to play the likes of the Witcher 3 or FC: Primal in VR.

Is there any word yet on mods for existing games to work in VR? I'd love to play the likes of the Witcher 3 or FC: Primal in VR.

Their UI, presentation style [forced camera movements, cinematics, hard transitions], traversal and general gameplay is not a good fit for VR... they would all need extensive adaptation. VR is a new platform, same as the touch gaming was when it appeared. Putting traditional console/pc game on touch device often caused issues, but for VR even small issues can cause actual real life discomfort.

But there is alternative if you REALLY want to take more advantage from your VR device:
https://www.twitch.tv/iijeriichoii/v/56490691

:D

Their UI, presentation style [forced camera movements, cinematics, hard transitions], traversal and general gameplay is not a good fit for VR... they would all need extensive adaptation. VR is a new platform, same as the touch gaming was when it appeared. Putting traditional console/pc game on touch device often caused issues, but for VR even small issues can cause actual real life discomfort.

But there is alternative if you REALLY want to take more advantage from your VR device:
https://www.twitch.tv/iijeriichoii/v/56490691

:D

Yeah but Alien Isolation seemed to work ok (at 75hz and low res, without ATW at that), so I'd hope other games would follow suit. I'm not saying it would be the perfect VR experience, but we already have proof that it's workable so I think the arguments against non "built from the ground up for VR" games being possible in VR may be a little overblown.

Yeah but Alien Isolation seemed to work ok (at 75hz and low res, without ATW at that), so I'd hope other games would follow suit. I'm not saying it would be the perfect VR experience, but we already have proof that it's workable so I think the arguments against non "built from the ground up for VR" games being possible in VR may be a little overblown.

The VR integration of Alien Isolation was done by the studio using the Oculus SDK just as regular made-for-VR titles are. Community mods of released games are forced to use Vireio Perception or other hacks and will probably never work properly.

edit:
The only way I think it'd make sense for developers to spend time working on VR integrations for already released titles is if they can justify repackaging and selling it as a new VR title. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is an example of this. It made sense for the Alien Isolation people because they were able to use it as a promotional tool for kiosks at trade shows.

Something like Witcher 3 would be a non trivial undertaking to get working adequately in VR (if possible at all), and the sales bump they'd get for it would never be worth it.

Last edited:
The VR integration of Alien Isolation was done by the studio using the Oculus SDK just as regular made-for-VR titles are. Community mods of released games are forced to use Vireio Perception or other hacks and will probably never work properly.

Interesting, I didn't realise it was quite so official. Point taken that community mods won't work then, I guess that reduces the potential for widespread conversions of current games into VR. I still hold out hope though of more official VR conversions for games that would clearly suit the genre though.

Even if we're not talking full VR, just a 3d vision like experience in cinema mode would still be incredible.

I'm sure Nvidia will be willing to step up to the plate to push 3D support as it gives them another value-add for their products (I believe they've referenced 3D Vision support in one of their marketing slides at some point.) I think that sort of virtual screen stuff is a bit of a novelty for the near future because of the effective resolution. Having a standard def Imax screen is cool, but you're making a big trade-off with fidelity for scale.

Back