Startup unveils low-power CPU

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20051024/tc_pcworld/123167

"The first chip in the family, the PA6T-1682M, is a dual-core Power-architecture processor that will dissipate between five and 13 watts of power in typical usage while running at 2GHz. The chip is a study in integration, with two cores, two DDR2 memory controllers, 2MB of Level 2 cache, and support for several different I/O standards all included on the chip. The I/O subsystem has eight PCI Express controllers, two 10-gigabit Ethernet controllers and four gigabit Ethernet controllers.

PWRficient chips are best suited for embedded networking and telecommunications devices, high-performance computing and consumer electronics devices, according to the company. P.A. Semi did not announce any customers for the processor.

P.A. Semi believes it can take the PWRficient design to 2.5GHz and up to eight cores. The dual-core PA6T-1682M is expected to become available in sample quantities in the third quarter of next year. A quad-core PWRficient processor is scheduled for late 2007 and an eight-core chip is being worked on for 2008."

Well, there's a not to bad Inquirer article on it that ran yesterday. I was actually wanting to post it, but couldn't figure out exactly where in this GPU-heavy forum it would go.

Anyway here's the link

Performance numbers are 2000 SPECint and 4000 SPECfp per chip (dual-core), giving some pretty impressive performance/watt. Not to mention they have on-die everything, which should reduce latencies in a massive way for the I/O operations.

Mariner said:
Interesting, but nothing about performance.

Anyone seen any other information about this chip yet?

1100 SpecINT, 2255 SpecFP

David Kanter has a write up over at Real World Tech

Cheers
Gubbi

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. Not sampling until Q3 2006 so I doubt we'll be hearing much for some time. Still, it's nice to see something new which isn't from one of the big companies.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to Via's C7? MIA or AWOL?

Back