Star Fox Adventures

mkillio

Regular
I got Star Fox the day it came out and have been loving it since. It's got great graphics, really good controls, pretty god sound and a lot of atmosphere. The controls are a whole lot like Zeldas but they're not quite the same and don't work as well. For instance, instead of pressing start and going to your item screen you use the C-Stick which doesn't actually bring up an item screen. It just brings up a little window (you can keep playin' though) and you move the C-Stick L, R, or up and down. Now you would think this would be nice and quick but since the c-stick is a stick and not buttons you tend to accidentally press it in the wrong direction do to the possibility of pressing it diagonally. Also when aiming with teh staff or FP view it's not very free, it always recenters which I hate and makes it tuff to aim quickly on enemies.

I'm 68% into and have only gotten upset witht eh game a few time with some ridiculous puzzles.

I also want to know if anyone has returned the third stone yet because I can not figure out how to open, what I believe to be, the last door before the teleporter. It's been driving me crazy for about 3 hours.

I agree graphics are amazing, I just have to wonder why Nintendo gave them Fox instead of Link, all the puzzles are ripped right out of zelda, It feels like I have done it all before(just not as pretty)

Captian, that's blasphemy to think that Nintendo would farm out Link to another company even if it was Rare. Mario, Link and Pikmin will always be developed from EAD. Miyamoto knows best to do with his "game giants" creations.

I agree about SFA. Really a good game. I'm giving it an 8.9. Rare did a fine job. Very polished and well produced. And the different kinds of fur is icing on the cake. They have really showed what the Gamecube can do. It's definetly a great purchase for anyone wanting a nice big adventure.

Blade said:
Ozy: Save your judgement for February 2003.. ;)

Why? I'm adamantly opposed to buying that game. I absolutey refuse to endorse Miyamoto's turning his back on me as a fan of Ocarina of Time by spending my money on his game. I just won't do it.

Panzer and Brute Force should be around then. That's more than enough to keep me occupied :D

A. You don't necessarily have to buy it.. ;) *points to Blockbuster*

B. To each his own.

C. All they did was change the look. From what I've heard, most everything is similar to OoT/MM except the cel-shading. The gameplay, the music, the sound effects, the landscapes. It's going to be slightly more light-hearted, sure.. that's about it.

I can understand yer frustrations, but to out-right boycott a new Zelda game is like, insane to me. Sorry.. it just is. :)

I love the Celda look. i wish they would change Link though. SFA despite being a bunch item collecting (Rare's trademark) is you Zelda OOT and MM for you Ozy. It's copying the hell out of EAD. Rare must have loved Zelda. It's all good though. SFA is one of my top games so far in 2002.

Goldni said:
Captian, that's blasphemy to think that Nintendo would farm out Link to another company even if it was Rare. Mario, Link and Pikmin will always be developed from EAD. Miyamoto knows best to do with his "game giants" creations.

I agree about SFA. Really a good game. I'm giving it an 8.9. Rare did a fine job. Very polished and well produced. And the different kinds of fur is icing on the cake. They have really showed what the Gamecube can do. It's definetly a great purchase for anyone wanting a nice big adventure.

Blasphemy that Nintendo would farm out Link?
guess we never heard of the oracle games on GBC?
the highest scoring zelda games yet yet(among the only games on
pocket IGN to get a perfect 10 rating)

CaptainHowdy said:
Goldni said:

Blasphemy that Nintendo would farm out Link?
guess we never heard of the oracle games on GBC?
the highest scoring zelda games yet yet(among the only games on
pocket IGN to get a perfect 10 rating)

However, remember the CD-I Zelda games Phillips did? My god they were ass-tastic.

I really can't stand people saying bad things about stuuf they don't know.

Games are all about gameplay (tetris anyone?), bashing a game because it doesn't look as you expected is s****d, and judging a game on his look instead of his gameplay is l**e.

I'm also disapointed by the look of the new Zelda, but I won't comment on it until I've played it.

You can tell us how you would have liked Zelda to look, or tell us that you're disapointed, but telling us you won't buy it show us how closed mind you are :p

Sorry I'm hard, but I'm really sick of people telling this or that sucks/is lame/whatever while they don't f****g now anything about it, but what they heard/saw on TV/Web.
That makes me VERY angry. (In case you didn't notice ^^)

Howdy: OOT got a 10 too.. and MM got what, 9.9 or something?

I bet if there were an IGN 16-bit right now, they'd probably give LTTP a similar score. And LoZ on IGN 8-bit, same thing. :)

Blade, I didnt say Nintendos Zelda was bad, I love them, I just said that the right companys were capable of it too, my point had nothing to do with Nintendos Zelda, my point was, Rare ripped off Zelda so bad with SFA, they may as well have made it a Zelda game(but then again, I dont enjoy it nearly as much as I do zelda)

the game is pretty, but its also very hollow, I agree with planetgamecubes review of it the most

Ingenu said:
I really can't stand people saying bad things about stuuf they don't know.

Games are all about gameplay (tetris anyone?), bashing a game because it doesn't look as you expected is s****d, and judging a game on his look instead of his gameplay is l**e.

I have to disagree pendantically with you here. The looks of a game can enhance or detract from the gameplay. Yes, overall how a game plays is the most important factor (for me at least) but the look is also important. It's analogous to a fine meal where the Chef works on presentation in addition to flavor because he knows the former directly impacts the latter.

Ingenu said:
You can tell us how you would have liked Zelda to look, or tell us that you're disapointed, but telling us you won't buy it show us how closed mind you are :p

Yea, that's a bit of a stretch if you're any sort of Zelda fan.

Ingenu said:

You know, everyone decides what they're looking for from their games. You can't tell me what criteria I should use to decide what games I want. Me, I want a game that looks and plays well. If it doesn't fit both of those criteria, I'm not buying it.

It's just that simple. And it's more about art than technology. Thus Celda is a big loser from the start, with that art style no matter how good the game is I doubt I can sit through it. Especially since I have all three consoles, and there will be plenty of other (better) games out then.

Blade:

I'll probably end up renting it, good idea. It'll be worth it to see the cool boss animations, but as for actually playing much of the game, nah, I'll pass. I got Star Fox Adventures to give me an OoT-like experience :D

Starfox Adventures is amazing to me. I'm 35% through it and I love it. The story is great, I really like the voice acting, the puzzles are good, the graphics are mind-blowing, but the best thing is the music. Truly great.

9/10. Hands-down my favorite GCN game, with Eternal Darkness not too far behind.

I'm actually looking forward to Zelda now. I'm not fond of the way Link looks, but I'm pretty sure Miyamoto isn't going to let us down.

The game is a lot of fun even if it involves collecting a lot of things.

20020927l.gif

Ozymandis said:
It's just that simple. And it's more about art than technology. Thus Celda is a big loser from the start, with that art style no matter how good the game is I doubt I can sit through it. Especially since I have all three consoles, and there will be plenty of other (better) games out then.

Better refers to what ?? IMO, you can categorize a game with respect to gameplay, technology and art direction. I doubt there will many games better than Zelda on the second and third, and art direction is not bad, it just does not suit your tastes.

wazoo said:
Better refers to what ?? IMO, you can categorize a game with respect to gameplay, technology and art direction. I doubt there will many games better than Zelda on the second and third, and art direction is not bad, it just does not suit your tastes.

Better refers to specific games released in the same time period. Like Brute Force, Unreal 2, Devil May Cry 2, and most notably Panzer Dragoon Orta.

When I say "better", there's just one simple meaning- "what's preferable for me". From what I've seen of Celda, I can't fathom a situation where I would end up buying the game :(

Ozymandis said:
When I say "better", there's just one simple meaning- "what's preferable for me". From what I've seen of Celda, I can't fathom a situation where I would end up buying the game :(

Considering the list you gave, it is sure that Zelda would not fit inside (if this list reflects the spectrum of your tastes).

Back