Star Fox Adventures

Teasy,

Oh please, Johnny thought Rare's FPS's were pathetic, now suddenly he's looking forward to Perfect Dark

I don't remember him saying anything about perfect dark. Either way what would it matter, he already owned a cube before the entire Rare sale went down... did he not?

and all of a sudden you have a GameCube and SFA is wonderful. People who have barely mentioned playing GameCube games here suddenly love one particular GameCube game.. interesting.

My GOD, what is it with you (and your buddy) with short memories. You obviously don't remember me saying that on a number of occasions that I planned on buying a game cube after Super Mario Sunshine was out? ...and I did. I also picked up SFA to see if it was as good as I heard, and it IS. Who said I "love" one game in particular? Super mario sunshine is a great game too. Perhaps it's because the game isn't nearly as bad as a person that can't purchase it makes it out to be.

9 and 9.4 are very different scores on any site,
Whatever Teasy, that's a load of BS. If you really believe that and can't see how illogical that statement is why bother discussing it further.

I've said for over a year already, that the only reasons to buy a nintendo console are:

1. Nintendo games
2. Rare games

Strange, I can't remember you ever championing Rare's cause until you thought Rare were leaving Nintendo. I only remember you starting to say this when you came along with your first Rare rumour story on this forum. All of a sudden Rare were so great and the only reason, other then Nintendo, to own GameCube was Rare, despite the fact that they were yet to release a game and had barely anything scheduled for release in the future.

Strange, I can't remember you ever championing Rare's cause until you thought Rare were leaving Nintendo.

Funny here comes the short memory again. Strange, I can't remember you saying how Rare "wasn't as good as they once were", until AFTER the Rare leaving Nintendo rumors came about. That's when you started the "it doesn't matter anyway" talk.

Who's championing (is that a word?) Rare around here? You mean me arguing that Rare is STILL capable of making great games (which has been proven true IMO) is "championing" Rare? Please Teasy, if you can't see the fault in your argument then you need to get your head checked.

I only remember you starting to say this when you came along with your first Rare rumour story on this forum.

Once again with the short memory! For one thing, I was giving my 2 reasons to buy a Nintendo console LONG before GC was in stores. Second, I was NOT the first person to post of this rumor on these boards. I even said that I didn't believe them when we first heard about it!

All of a sudden Rare were so great and the only reason, other then Nintendo, to own GameCube was Rare,

It's NOT "all of the sudden" Teasy. Do you need to understand the reason anyone would say that? For christ sakes Rare and Nintendo were making the ONLY games worth owning on the N64. There was NO reason for that to change on the GC. Get it through your thick skull, I've been saying that LONG before the rumors arrived!

For one thing, NOBODY around here has been saying "Rare is so great" or anything of the sort. All we've had are fanboys saying "Rare isn't as good as they once were" and "we now have zoonami and free radical with ex rare employees". All these people that you say have been "championing" Rare, have actually said is that Rare isn't any better or worse then they ONCE were! Nto that they are "now so great"! You're completely spinning what people are saying and I'm so sick of your BS!

despite the fact that they were yet to release a game and had barely anything scheduled for release in the future.

Yes and you still listed the games you thought they were going to make for GC in every list of must have GC titles. hmmm, go figure...

Noone ever said Rare sucked, its not about fanboyism, my Comments on Starfox are just true, it just seems like either you have terrible taste or just dont want to see that.
hit up gamerankings, read up on the reviews, and you will have a VERY hard time finding a review that doesnt contain pretty much everything I said about it. So you are just in the minority on your opinion of it. If I was to be anti Rare about it, I would say the game just plain sucks, which it does not, its just not great.

But I do feel Rare is being rushed and pushed too hard by MS already, they are talking 5 games next year, thats when I feel I will be allowed to say Rare is not what they used to be.

Noone ever said Rare sucked

Did I claim that someone said they "sucked"? No, so where are you getting that from exactly? Imo it looks like that's what you were thinking and automatically assumed that I was saying that. Anyway, you're right no one said that. All people said was that "Rare isn't as good as it used to be" and that they are "going downhill" and won't "be the same with nintendo". See the pattern? Specficically the last comment. It's there for everyone to plainy see... IMO it's also not a correct assumption your making.

my Comments on Starfox are just true, it just seems like either you have terrible taste or just dont want to see that.

Hardly. Take a look at the review scores on gamerankings. The game is consitently getting 8's and 9's. If you excuse the one guy that gave it a 7 and said this is no "zelda", even though the game wasn't supposed to be zelda. The game has some very positive reviews.

GamePro.com 80.0%
IGN 90.0%
Gamers.com 80.0%
Gamespy 82.0%
Gamer Web 70.0%
Game Revolution 80.0%
Nintendo Power 88.0%
GameCube Advanced 92.5%
The Laser 95.0%

hard time finding a review that doesnt contain pretty much everything I said about it.

They all have concerns and comments about things, but almost none of them except for one review tried to make the game sound bad or worse then it was. There's a reason for that, it's because the game isn't bad, it's a great title.. It's a excellent title.

So you are just in the minority on your opinion of it. If I was to be anti Rare about it, I would say the game just plain sucks, which it does not, its just not great.

I personally think YOU are in the minority.

I don't know about you, but i can remember seeing the words "great" or "excellent" in the majority of the reviews. Either way, if a game recieves and 8 doesn't just mean it's "good" a 7 means it's just "good" from every reivew I've seen. I'm not trying to say the game is perect, but it's not nearly as bad as some of you make it out to be.

But I do feel Rare is being rushed and pushed too hard by MS already, they are talking 5 games next year, thats when I feel I will be allowed to say Rare is not what they used to be.

Riiiiiight, you "feel" this in your bones I suppose? it must be that cold MS wind blowing...

I think Star Fox Adventures is an excellent game :)

And one of my best friends IRL thinks it's several times better than Mario - and he really liked Mario :)

Tagrineth said:
I think Star Fox Adventures is an excellent game :)

And one of my best friends IRL thinks it's several times better than Mario - and he really liked Mario :)

and Gt3 is a much better racing game than Mario ;)

How can you compare both ??

comparing Zelda to Starfox is fair, and of course Starfox loses,but that is not a big deal, we have yet to find an adventure game that tops Zelda.

Starfox is a technically excellent game that succeed to do well a lot of things, albeit being not very original or innovative. But you do not need to be innovative to be fun. That is what I get from reading reviews.

I'll get that game when it will comes out later this year.

the review average is an 88
which as I said, is not bad, but does not live up to Rares legacy.
not at all, because, usually with them, the gameplay is the height of
the game, in this one, its the games biggest complaint.

Qroach said:
my Comments on Starfox are just true, it just seems like either you have terrible taste or just dont want to see that.

Hardly. Take a look at the review scores on gamerankings. The game is consitently getting 8's and 9's. If you excuse the one guy that gave it a 7 and said this is no "zelda", even though the game wasn't supposed to be zelda. The game has some very positive reviews.

GamePro.com 80.0%
IGN 90.0%
Gamers.com 80.0%
Gamespy 82.0%
Gamer Web 70.0%
Game Revolution 80.0%
Nintendo Power 88.0%
GameCube Advanced 92.5%
The Laser 95.0%

hard time finding a review that doesnt contain pretty much everything I said about it.

They all have concerns and comments about things, but almost none of them except for one review tried to make the game sound bad or worse then it was. There's a reason for that, it's because the game isn't bad, it's a great title.. It's a excellent title.

Well, to be fair even the 90% CubeIGN review shares some of Howdy's concern. If I remember well, it even says: "Starfox is a great game, but it is no(t) Zelda" or sg similar.

Planetgamecube gave Starfox in two reviews 8.0/10.0 and they brought up some valid points about the gameplay. Usually I am using the mean of PGC & IGN so that makes it 8.5/10. For me that means a great game but just not Triple A.

http://www.planetgamecube.com/reviews.cfm?action=profile&id=193
http://www.planetgamecube.com/reviews.cfm?action=profile&id=194

I just finished it (25 hours). It's a great game.

Pros:

- Great presentation
- Amazing visuals
- Killer music
- Large world to explore
- Pretty good puzzles

Cons:

- Lacklustre combat system
- A little too easy (except the final boss)
- No replay value

Overall - 8.9/10.

dont forget the one thing that made OOT amazing, the free abilty to take challenges at your own pace, you could go where you wanted, and do what you wanted in freedom, but SFA lacks that, its way too linear for that type of game.

Johnny Awesome said:
I just finished it (25 hours). It's a great game.

Pros:

- Great presentation
- Amazing visuals
- Killer music
- Large world to explore
- Pretty good puzzles

Cons:

- Lacklustre combat system
- A little too easy (except the final boss)
- No replay value

Overall - 8.9/10.

It was defenitely to easy, I beat in 17hrs. I didn't think the boss was hard either, I beat him on my second try. I agree with you on all of your other points although I didn't like the music that much. I still feel like it's a 9.0 though. It just kind of has a AAA feel to it, and I think that for a game to be a AAA game it has to be 9.0 or higher

The linear feel of SFA is one thing that puts it behind SMS as a better game.

Hell, Slippy and Peppy even hold your hand through th' whole experience..

I just can't "jam" in SFA like I can in Mario. You can't just pick it up and play, like you could Star Fox 64 or SMS..

In Zelda, at least that sort of possibility was available.. it's sprawling with lots of secrets and mini-games. (like fishing) SFA is just a straight-forward action/adventure title with a handful of secrets. Thankfully, it performs well. AAA? Maybe, maybe not.

demotivators_1705_1423592

Instead of thinking on your own you allow others to think for you? Why not play the games for yourselves?

Blade said:
The linear feel of SFA is one thing that puts it behind SMS as a better game.

Hell, Slippy and Peppy even hold your hand through th' whole experience..

I just can't "jam" in SFA like I can in Mario. You can't just pick it up and play, like you could Star Fox 64 or SMS..

In Zelda, at least that sort of possibility was available.. it's sprawling with lots of secrets and mini-games. (like fishing) SFA is just a straight-forward action/adventure title with a handful of secrets. Thankfully, it performs well. AAA? Maybe, maybe not.

thats the kind of stuff that was missing, adding to the hollowness of the whole experience, if I had not previously played Zelda, or better yet, had never played a Rare game, I would be a lot less hard on SFA, but my point of view is only from that of living up to a legacy, in which it does not do, outside of that, it is a very good game, I am not disputing that.
but its one to rent and forget, it coming in the same timeline as Animal Crossing was good, because it fills the Zelda extras that made it so great, to me AC feels like a game based around Zelda side quests.

Back