stand-alone torrent client

I think people who have memory usage complaints with Azereus only seem to be those who download/seed multiple files at once...which is just dumb. I do one torrent at a time, and i've always had my server sitting on a good 85-90% free memory. The only time it jumps a bit is when a file starts seeding and has to be checked, but once the check is done everything goes flatline again.
Well, then try DL a torrent with a couple 1000s of files - I had to increase the Java-Stack to over 200MB just so that Azureus wont quit with an Out-of-Memory Error. uTorrent never went over 50 MB.

To be fair, Azureus was always supposed to be a cross-platform client via Java. It's never going to be as tight as a dedicated platform binary. It was one of the first clients with a proper GUI that could handle multiple downloads at once, and received a lot of support from the Linux crowd who didn't have any other client available.

There's now so many other clients available to choose from, it's no surprise that Azureus has been somewhat eclipsed.

I've been using uTorrent for over a week and I am pleased with it.

Welcome uTorrent... Farewell Azureus, you did great.

why try and hide a standalone torrent app

install opera it handles torrents and your boss will just assume you installed it becasue its a better browser

I think people who have memory usage complaints with Azereus only seem to be those who download/seed multiple files at once...which is just dumb. I do one torrent at a time, and i've always had my server sitting on a good 85-90% free memory.

Hey, not to kick a dead thread, but just FYI, there are plenty of reasons to leech/seed multiple torrents at once -- the most obvious example is people like myself, in China, trying to download files from the US. Although tere are times my bandwidth is sturated with just one overseas torrent, it's rather rare. Usually we'll download up to a dozen files at once and still not saturate the line. Occasionally one torrent will suddenly perk up (likely someone else in HK finished leeching!) and I'll temporarily suspend a few torrents to let it hurry on home. Even in the US on cable, ofttimes you can add more torrents and further utilize your bandwidth -- possibly a function of the way torrents ratio your download speed to your upload -- which is usually capped on US broadband. Anyway, perhaps you're on a great US .edu backbone or something similar -- but if you ever have the need, you might want to give a client a shot that can handle dozens of torrents with low resource usage. It's a real relief.

[Edit: lol, i just noticed you're in Australia. You're probably the one getting me halfway-decent speeds on my Colbert Reports! ;) So, yeah, keep your bandwidth wide open for me! ;)]

Back