stand-alone torrent client

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
I'm afraid of installing any torrent client in my work laptop, because it may be detected.

is there an ultra-light client version that runs from a simple EXE file? I'd like to avoid installing a client that'll modify registry and thus be detectable by the network admin.

thanks.

µTorrent, I can't say enough wonderful things about this client! I was a die-hard Azureus user up until a few months ago when I finally gave µTorrent a try, and I have not gone back nor will I!

One simple executable, no installation, and it's less resource intensive than Azureus and you don't need Java.

Oh, and it let me find out that my cable net uncapped my up limit from 45kB/s to 300kB/s....that might have something to do with it too....but it really is a great program and exactly what you're looking for. ;)

EDITED BITS: I just checked and I'm running the latest 1.6.1 release that is on the main page. GET IT, USE IT, LOOOOOVE IT!!!!

The best one out there is uTorrent. I believe its runable from a usb flash-drive.

as for port detection, I could simply change the udp/tcp ports, right?

Are you running this at work?

If so I would be concerned about a disciplinary after an admin notices high bandwidth usage from your IP. Can't you just grab stuff at home?

Are you running this at work?

If so I would be concerned about a disciplinary after an admin notices high bandwidth usage from your IP. Can't you just grab stuff at home?

yep....... you are totally right... I have azureus running at home 24/7....

it's that the internet bandwidth is idle over here........... :) :D

I'll just control myself.......

Everything is detectable or near it and certainly anything that is using bandwidth.

You should get uTorrent though for your home setup, you should also try uTorrents WebUI and then you'd at least be able to control it from work.. maybe, as long as your work is not using IE6.

You could hide uTorrent, but you wouldn't be able to hide it's network activity. It will use a lot of up/down bandwidth, and will send a lot of packets to and from a lot of different IP addresses. Just like people who uncap cable modems are convinced you can hide the tampering from your ISP, as soon as you start to use that uncapped bandwidth, the traffic betrays you.

If you're really worried that your work admins are on the ball enough to catch the installation of a torrent client, they will be good enough to catch the traffic, especially if they have their routers set up to alert them to that kind of thing. If they pay for their net access by the byte, when the bills come in, they will go back and check the logs to see who has been running up the network costs.

In short, if you think it's something you need to hide at work for fear of getting caught and punished, chances are you will be detected via methods outside your PC and outside your ability to influence.

yep....... you are totally right... I have azureus running at home 24/7....

it's that the internet bandwidth is idle over here........... :) :D

I'll just control myself.......

Same where for where I work, we have 1x 1mb SDSL and 1x 512mb ADSL lines. Both idle from 7pm to 9am! Theres so much temptation to put an emule or torrent client on there and use the bandwidth! I own the network here, my line Manager and owner of the company wont know that I would do it, but alas its not ethical. Im in the same boat, have my own line 24/7 so theres really no point ;)

Wow, talk about complete opposites, my bandwidth is faster at home than at work thanks to broadband cable internet: 12mbit/1mbit vs 1.5mbit/1.5mbit.

nice....

uTorrent stand-alone EXE is only 173Kb.

I ran it, and now it's using almost 7Mb of ram. No torrents yet.

I like the interface so far. Reminds me of Bitcomet.

cheers

Not sure if you've compared it to Azureus or ever looked to see how much that uses. I have and Azureus would be sitting around 120Meg with a couple torrents seeding, while I've never seen uTorrent go above 25Meg. The best part is once uTorrent is done seeding, the memory usage dropped back down to slightly under 5Meg. When it's minimized it droped down to under 3Meg. This very same instance has been running for 57 days. Very nice and well done resource handling.

Is it my impression or uTorrent is faster for downloads? Yesterday I reached almost 250Kb/s steady, whereas Azureus would barely reach 150Kb/s.

The interface is neat. I think Azureus is jealous..... :)

Not sure if you've compared it to Azureus or ever looked to see how much that uses. I have and Azureus would be sitting around 120Meg with a couple torrents seeding, while I've never seen uTorrent go above 25Meg. The best part is once uTorrent is done seeding, the memory usage dropped back down to slightly under 5Meg. When it's minimized it droped down to under 3Meg. This very same instance has been running for 57 days. Very nice and well done resource handling.

I just checked my server at home, it's had Azereus running 24/7 for at least 3 months solid now, and after going through god-knows how many torrents, memory usage is sitting happy at ~30mb with one torrent downloading. I never do multiples, it's always one-at-a-time....I only download one file at a time, then when that's finished if there's nothing critically necessary in the queue after it I seed. A lot of the time I pop over to someone's house to do repairs and the silly kid in the family complains his PC is running slow when he's downloading stuff...so I take a look and there's always some stupid amount of files seeding/downloading (ie; 5+) what does he expect?

I think people who have memory usage complaints with Azereus only seem to be those who download/seed multiple files at once...which is just dumb. I do one torrent at a time, and i've always had my server sitting on a good 85-90% free memory. The only time it jumps a bit is when a file starts seeding and has to be checked, but once the check is done everything goes flatline again.

Back