Splinter Cell 4: Double Agent HDTV Clip - Xbox360

Amazing! I'll be getting that for the 360 for sure. That looked like a CGI demo damn near. Good work whoever the programmers are!

I think it looks great, the texture shimmering really takes away from the IQ though. On the plus side, the textures and backgrounds are all extremely good, the animations look very realistic, the skin textures are quite impressive.

It's not what I was expecting from the frst iteration of SC, but it does look signifigantly better than what I saw a few weeks ago, and pretty much as good as nearly any real game we've seen in action to date.

I think it looks great, the texture shimmering really takes away from the IQ though. On the plus side, the textures and backgrounds are all extremely good, the animations look very realistic, the skin textures are quite impressive.

It's not what I was expecting from the frst iteration of SC, but it does look signifigantly better than what I saw a few weeks ago, and pretty much as good as nearly any real game we've seen in action to date.

Actually i agree to taht. But it's light years away from the first render stuff we saw of this game, but i guess that's got forgotten pretty easy as it seems...:???:

I hate to bring this up but to me that looked as good as many parts of the MGS4 trailer and I thought the character models were done perhaps even a bit better.

RobertR1 said:
I hate to bring this up but to me that looked as good as many parts of the MGS4 trailer and I thought the character models were done perhaps even a bit better.

Agreed, but I wasn't gonna go there ;)

RobertR1 said:
wait...what? lol, splinter cell 4 looks nice, but maybe you should watch the mgs4 15 min trailer again.

That said, im looking forward to the "dark side" of sam this time around. The plot sounds more interesting than the previous ones imo.

Bad_Boy said:
wait...what? lol, splinter cell 4 looks nice, but maybe you should watch the mgs4 15 min trailer again.

I have, plenty of times. It's nothing out of this world. It's appeal to me is that it's MGS4 and a series with a storyline that's really gripping. Had that just been some other game without the MGS name, I'd just go "oh, cool. nice demo. should be interesting" and just move on.

I really don't expect to be able to control raiden quite like that :)

Last edited by a moderator:
RobertR1 said:
I have, plenty of times. It's nothing out of this world. It's appeal to me is that it's MGS4 and a series with a storyline that's really gripping. Had that just been some other game without the MGS name, I'd just go "oh, cool. nice demo. should be interesting" and just move on.
Im not talking about the story or anything like that, you specifically stated that you think SC4 looks on par or better than mgs4's trailer, and I'm just saying, graphically I dont see it; at all. I'd say the soldiers walking around seem to have higher poly counts than the NPC's in the SC4 video (note the overlapping clothing, the hair, the vests the soldiers wear, etc), but not just the polycounts, there seems to be much more of them walking around at once; enhancing the feeling of a real war. The MGS4 environments seem to have a much larger scale also. For example check when the truck is driving around with the 2-3 buildings broken apart in the scene, huge open area. Also when snake looks at the buildings in the distance as the "mini-gears" flee away (but I'll give SC4 the benefit of the doubt because we havent seen enough of the game yet). But not just in character numbers and larger environments though, theres alot of debree flying around and dirt being kicked up that adds to the feeling. I know you are comparing trailer to gameplay, but the SC4 animations just seem gritty (for example, look at about 30 seconds into the video-- the guy rotates around instead of using his body or his legs to turn) And not that MGS4's textures should win a trophy, but SC4's textures in some parts seemed to stick out like a sore thumb in some places (i could post pictures but some would probably think id be nitpicking to the fullest). Theres alot more things I could probably point out, but I think I went far enough. On the other hand...one thing i do like about SC4 is that the skin does look a bit better than the MGS4 trailer. Looks more realistic imo.

But I guess opinions will be opinions.

RobertR1 said:
I really don't expect to be able to control raiden quite like that :)
Raiden wont be a playable character. ;)

Sorry for the MSG4 vs SC4 debate. I'll stop now. :)

Comparing cutscene vs. gameplay footage it pointless anyway. I think it looks pretty good. Early on I can see the ground shimmering, but in the rest of the video it wasn't very noticable at all. What irritated me most was the lack of recoil on the weapon and the way it didn't seem to do any damage to the environment (I'm not expecting FEAR levels of mayhem, but a little more wouldn't hurt)...

It's actually kind of reminiscent of GR:AW I think. Except the main character model is much better - modelled, animated and textured.

Overall: I like! :)

slider said:
It's actually kind of reminiscent of GR:AW I think. Except the main character model is much better - modelled, animated and textured.

Overall: I like! :)

Is this the graw engine being reused or something else?

I must be totally disillusioned because amazing and fantastic are the last things that come to mind after seeing that video. Blame it on too many "next-gen" CGI trailers I guess. What struck me most about the video was the overdone HDR. Why is the sky constantly blindingly bright? And is it only me but did the head-butt animation look kinda stupid?

trinibwoy said:
I must be totally disillusioned because amazing and fantastic are the last things that come to mind after seeing that video. Blame it on too many "next-gen" CGI trailers I guess. What struck me most about the video was the overdone HDR. Why is the sky constantly blindingly bright? And is it only me but did the head-butt animation look kinda stupid?

I guess it's just some kind of bloom/fake HDR, that should be the reason (without tonemapping).

trinibwoy said:
What struck me most about the video was the overdone HDR. Why is the sky constantly blindingly bright? And is it only me but did the head-butt animation look kinda stupid?

Seems about right to me for a desert at noon. Even here in Edmonton at noon in the summer, it's extremely bright. *shrug* Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean precisely.

Alstrong said:
Seems about right to me for a desert at noon. Even here in Edmonton at noon in the summer, it's extremely bright. *shrug* Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean precisely.

Could be, I haven't been in too many deserts at noon in my time. :LOL: Even so, it still looks a bit overdone.

I lived in the desrert for a while and visit my parrents who still live there. The sky looks about like it can when looking towards the sun, but it seems it looks that way in every direction in the game where as you should be able to make out some blue sky when not facing towards the sun.

Back