*spin-off* Ryse Trade-Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
900p is a bigger loss than COD3 total resolution:oops:

What?

You're dropping from 1920x1080 to 1920x900? That's a loss of 1920x180 pixels (345600).

COD 4 was 1024x600 (614400). The newer games should have been higher resolution. What was COD3? 1024x300?

What?

You're dropping from 1920x1080 to 1920x900? That's a loss of 1920x180 pixels (345600).

COD 4 was 1024x600 (614400). The newer games should have been higher resolution. What was COD3? 1024x300?

The numbers I took were from that gaf thread- 1600x900=1,440,000 -2,073,600=633,600

COD=614,400

Actually, 900p (with good scaling) should look pretty much identical to 1080p:

I think this is basically Penello's (and the engineers he's talking to) point, there will be no substantial visual difference between multiplat titles.

If that's what Penello and the engineers believe , i'll take whatever they say about bandwidth with a grain of salt .
Anyway , when your tent pole game , your showcase piece cannot meet standards , that's bad news for XB1 .

What?

The EG article suggest the resolution is 1600x900.

900p is disappointing, considering from what we've seen most of the time the game only has a handful of characters, if not one, on the screen that you actually interact with. But I don't think it's too surprising. Many of the shots and trailers looked a little too clean to be true.

Below 1080p is going to be bad PR if PS4 counterparts get 1080p

I´m not worried just yet, because i remember x360 lineup and their share of trouble meeting expectations, I hope they master Esram utilization (if it is the problem)

If that's what Penello and the engineers believe , i'll take whatever they say about bandwidth with a grain of salt .
Anyway , when your tent pole game , your showcase piece cannot meet standards , that's bad news for XB1 .

I wouldn't call a third party game, a tent pole game. Do all 360 games look and perform like Kameo or Perfect Dark Zero? Were those tent-pole games? Forza 5 is much closer to what I would consider a tent-pole game or the next Halo.

This is a launch title. During this games developement, the dev kit and all supporting dev tools were being developed so it's not surprising performance isn't up to par. And if first kits did go out in Feb 2011, that's about a short 18 month dev cycle, with what 3-4 months of final hardware?

To me this game looks pretty damn good (as does F5 and Sony's first party games). I think this bode's really well for both platforms if launch titles can look this good.

Must be a good upscaler then :smile:. For one, I can see the difference between a native 1080 and an upscaled 1600X900 on my monitor. TVs themselves have pretty good upscalers in built in them, but a difference in quality by having actually more detailed picture is always visible. Like I said earlier, most people won't mind. My own TV is a HD ready one, meaining its a 720p TV which can take in 1080p signal. But I game on my Monitor, and I can easily tell when a game is 720 vs 1080. You can also try it out on your PC, just run a game @1600X900 in fullscreen and then run the same game on 1920X1080 fullscreen. The blurriness of the lesser res image is very clear, because it is being upscaled by the monitor. Having the XBOne upscale it is a better option, of course, but we cannot have the same detail in the image as a native 1080. I mean its not something new, more pixels=more detail. :)

Now move your monitor so that is roughly 1.25-1.5 meters away and you'll have something similar to what you would see on TV. At that point you'll have a hard time telling which is which assuming your monitor doesn't have an absolutely horrible scaler.

Or to put it another way. Unless you sit about 1.5 meters away from a 55-60 inch TV, it's not going to look the same as a 24" monitor from ~1.5 feet away.

Now if you play all your console games on your monitor, then you'd have a point.

Regards,
SB

Ok, so it's 1600x900. That's 1440000 pixels. That's 518400 more pixels than 720p. Am I supposed to be really upset or pleased? We can make up numbers all day and count resolution in units of "CODs", but all that matters is if the game looks good in the end. Plus, there's more to resolution than just the final framebuffer.

Yeah, I don't get the outrage either. The new gen's resolution is going to be a lot higher than the PS360 era, so what exactly is the issue anyway?

I wouldn't call a third party game, a tent pole game. Do all 360 games look and perform like Kameo or Perfect Dark Zero? Were those tent-pole games? Forza 5 is much closer to what I would consider a tent-pole game or the next Halo.

This is a launch title. During this games developement, the dev kit and all supporting dev tools were being developed so it's not surprising performance isn't up to par. And if first kits did go out in Feb 2011, that's about a short 18 month dev cycle, with what 3-4 months of final hardware?

To me this game looks pretty damn good (as does F5 and Sony's first party games). I think this bode's really well for both platforms if launch titles can look this good.

I'd add that the XBO hardware is clearly the less friendly platform to utilize, and the improvements from launch games, to the un-rushed second gen games, should be (more) pronounced.

AFAIK display planes are a fancy way of saying 'alpha-blended overlay'.

If you want to render different parts of the scene in different resolutions and merge them, then AFAIK you'd need to do that manually.

I'll probably be killed for it, but another possibility is that the console's internal target spec was missed. (a 150Mhz boost is awesome, unless you were told to expect something more significant).

Actually, what I described is the intended, primary purpose of the display planes from what I have read. Each plane can seperately render and composite 4 boxes. The individual planes are then scaled to 1080 if necessary and composited. Some of the boxes can be told not to render. All of this happens automatically in hardward. That is the point of the specialized video compositing chips. Manually would be the way Alan Wake did it on 360.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back