*spin-off* God of War III Demo Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, let's keep the versus discussion to a minimum (preferably non-existant). We can argue all day (as usual).

Agreed. I think some may have a bit of a mental block because AA's animations aren't quite on par with the others, but the modeling itself is superb.

Actually, Batman's proportions are all completely wrong, oversized shoulders that are far too high, and thus his arms appear too short...

Are you serious?

Why so surprised?? Batman AA's visuals were well received from gamers & medias alike. And there're some hard numbers to prove when it comes to character details where Gears2 used around 15K polys for its main characters, Batman would use about 20K. Here's an example of texture difference as well.

BatmanAAvsGEOW2.jpg

But then you also feel that Batman AA is on par with Gears 2. Not sure how you came to the conclusion that Uncharted 2 is a master of none when basically it does things better than most if not all of the console games out there, KZ2 has the edge in terms of the number of possible light sources but Uncharted 2 has better and more realistic lighting quality (sky light as well as objects that give off light such as flames) due to HDR, and better shadowing quality than KZ2, and GOW3 doesn't even have self-shadowing for the majority of the enemies presented on screen and basically it's limiting the self-shadowing by the angle the light is being cast because the camera is fixed on a rail. It's not like the other two teams aren't sharing the Edge tools developed at Naughty Dog.

- overall texture quality is significantly better in Gears 2, no contest at all. U2's texture fidelity is even lesser than what's seen in U1.

- use of motion blur is just better in KZ2, mostly due to its art direction. U2 takes more hit from blur caused by motion blur because U2 takes its strength from image clarity.

- use of shadow is a lot better in KZ2, with far more shadow casting lights.

- character models are better in RE5, it even used real time cut scene where U2 did mostly with movies

- I've seen better HDR lighting in games like GT5 or Halo 3

- explosions don't even come close to what's seen in KZ2

- use of AA is not the best with lots of visible aliasings

- animation is a lot better in KZ2

There're more, but let me just end it here. It does everything good, but nothing stands out. I find KZ2 or GOW3's visual more impressive, because it does what it does the best in its own distinct style.

- overall texture quality is significantly better in Gears 2, no contest at all. U2's texture fidelity is even lesser than what's seen in U1.

Wait, you're still referring to Batman AA VS. Gears 2 with the first statement, right?

- character models are better in RE5, it even used real time cut scene where U2 did mostly with movies

I like the art direction better myself, and they're made by the same guys who handled RE4's model so they make use of every poly really well. I think it's a difference in art direction here.

The cutscene models are vastly different though, facially anyway. Same goes for U2.

Wait, you're still referring to Batman AA VS. Gears 2 with the first statement, right?

I don't have to explain everything, don't I? ;)

The image is just to compare textures used in character models, so those shots were taken under very unusual circumstance that you wouldn't normally see.

Gears 2 spent most of its texture budget on background objects, some of them are so insanely high res that you could literally see them under microscope (read: sniper rifle) and can't find it pixelating. :smile:

The demo looks great! I just figured out how to hook enemies from far away then quick let go and grab again and use him to charge through the rest:) it looks insane the darker areas with the blood and red orbs going on.

Gears 2 spent most of its texture budget on background objects, some of them are so insanely high res that you could literally see them under microscope (read: sniper rifle) and can't find it pixelating. :smile:
Gears 2 sport some very high res textures mainly due to the overly abuse of repeated textures on virtually every Hall ways, structures, floors, caves and what not. The lack of variety is sorely eye hurting. So in that regard UC2 has done heck of a better job of implementing better texture variety while keeping them high res still.
Res5 models have much lower poly count than UC2's, 15k vs 30k+. The cut scenes in Res5 used much better lighting and shadows than ingame even despite both games use the same models in all situations.
KZ2 is still giving me the most CGI esque feel in a video game, the particle, animation and deferred lighting are just too good.
We still haven't seen much of anything other than the 20min demo in GOW3 but there are moments which impressed me just as much as I did in UC2 graphically.
Edit. OK, just saw Alstrong's warning ignore me.

HA HA HA HA..:LOL::LOL: Maybe I'm reading it wrong but did someone here actually say that Batman and Gears 2 is on par with or even looking better than Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2? Sorry but just no:LOL:.. I don't care If i'm going to get punish for this post, but the FRIST Uncharted alone already blow Gear 2 out of the water.. Simply look at the comparison here.

http://kineticninja.blogspot.com/2009/01/naughty-dog-realtime-graphics-and.html

http://kineticninja.blogspot.com/2009/01/naughty-dog-realtime-graphics-and_31.html

Saying that Gears 2 - or any games out there for that matter - looks as good as (or better than) U2 and KZ2 is just flat out wrong.. Currently is no games on ANY consoles (and I highly doubt there will ever be) that can match the quality of U2 and KZ2

Sorry mod, but I can't handle it when people make outrageous statement like that

HA HA HA HA..:LOL::LOL: Maybe I'm reading it wrong but did someone here actually say that Batman and Gears 2 is on par with or even looking better than Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2? Sorry but just no:LOL:.. I don't care If i'm going to get punish for this post, but the FRIST Uncharted alone already blow Gear 2 out of the water.. Simply look at the comparison here.

http://kineticninja.blogspot.com/2009/01/naughty-dog-realtime-graphics-and.html

http://kineticninja.blogspot.com/2009/01/naughty-dog-realtime-graphics-and_31.html

Saying that Gears 2 - or any games out there for that matter - looks as good as (or better than) U2 and KZ2 is just flat out wrong.. Currently is no games on ANY consoles (and I highly doubt there will ever be) that can match the quality of U2 and KZ2

Sorry mod, but I can't handle it when people make outrageous statement like that

:LOL::LOL: Of course you are going to say that, considering you are obviously a self proclaimed PS3 only fanboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back