Spider-Man 2 [PS5, PC]

Targeting Fall of 2023 for launch on PS5:

Targeting Fall of 2023 for launch on PS5:

This is Insomniac, they will reach the release date. I think a September or at worst an October release date will be ok.

Insomniac never miss a release date or release windows but they want to be sure at 100% they will be on time before giving an exact date. They are organize to launch game on date even if it means have less ambition like in Spiderman compared to HFW or God of War Ragnarök nearly all the side quest were by the number with nearly zero narration. This the first time, they will have five years to develop I hope this part will improve and same for the game engine on CPU side. If it is not the case it means they need to delay the game to do it and this is not how they work.

This is Insomniac, they will reach the release date. I think a September or at worst an October release date will be ok.

Insomniac never miss a release date or release windows but they want to be sure at 100% they will be on time before giving an exact date.

When you watch videos of Insomnaic's development process (they present at GDC a lot), they have a disciplined project management process and since they restructured a few years back to become a two-team, two-project studio, they have extra resilience against slippage. If an unexpected issue comes up on a game with an announced release date they can divert resource from the next project to get the imminent project out of the door on time.

I really don't know what is going on at Naughty Dog. They have not shipped a game on the announced release date since Uncharted 3 (2011). It's dumb to announce release dates, or even a release window, ridiculously far out.

When you watch videos of Insomnaic's development process (they present at GDC a lot), they have a disciplined project management process and since they restructured a few years back to become a two-team, two-project studio, they have extra resilience against slippage. If an unexpected issue comes up on a game with an announced release date they can divert resource from the next project to get the imminent project out of the door on time.

I really don't know what is going on at Naughty Dog. They have not shipped a game on the announced release date since Uncharted 3 (2011). It's dumb to announce release dates, or even a release window, ridiculously far out.

The Sony Santa Monica art director told in an interview in Portuguese to a Brazilian website Insomniac make other Sony first party teams envious because they released always on time and very often. This is not only AAA title but If I remember well, they released 14 or 15 titles last generation and always on time between all projects(Sony, MS, PC(some AA title), Meta(VR Games) and AR(Magic Leap)).

I expect them to release at least one PSVR 2 title during current generation. And from rumors I heard in the industry they have a three teams setup now.

EDIT:

Last edited:

It give an idea of Insomniac efficiency and I forget they release Android ans IOS games too.

2014Sunset OverdriveXbox One, Windows
2015Slow Down, BullWindows
Fruit FusionAndroid, iOS
Bad Dinos
Digit & DashiOS
2016Ratchet & ClankPlayStation 4
Song of the DeepWindows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Edge of NowhereWindows
The Unspoken
Feral Rites
2018Marvel's Spider-ManPlayStation 4
SeedlingMagic Leap One
2019StormlandWindows
StrangeletsMagic Leap One
2020Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles MoralesWindows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5
Marvel's Spider-Man RemasteredWindows, PlayStation 5
2021Ratchet & Clank: Rift ApartPlayStation 5
2023Marvel's Spider-Man 2

It give an idea of Insomniac efficiency and I forget they release Android ans IOS games too.

Fruit FusionAndroid, iOS
Bad Dinos
Digit & DashiOS
Edge of NowhereWindows
The Unspoken
Feral Rites
SeedlingMagic Leap One
2019StormlandWindows

This is so good to know. It gives me hope other studios CAN become more efficient. I find it a bit of a bummer how few titles big studios release nowadays. I also think its smart to have some AA and mobile games in between the big titles to let the AAA devs stretch their legs and try new things in a faster pace. It completely transformed Double Fine when they started doing it too. More devs should take note.

EDIT: Like, remember when Rockstar released a Table Tennis game for PS360 just to dip their toes into (then) next gen technology? I wish more studios did that sort of thing. Make experiments that you actually ship.

maybe they were tired of becoming insomniac years ago, they finally managed to get the golden-way to develop games without needing to become insomniac?

Insomniac have a good structure, but haphazardly rushing other devs seems foolhardy when investors and money leads definitely don't have the discipline or patience to allow for good team structure and will push out games before they are done anyway.

Seems like Sony have been very hands off with them which is good

Insomniac have a good structure, but haphazardly rushing other devs seems foolhardy when investors and money leads definitely don't have the discipline or patience to allow for good team structure and will push out games before they are done anyway.

Seems like Sony have been very hands off with them which is good

I don't think they rush the development it will be the first time Insomniac have five years to release a new title and I hope it means better side quest content and improvement they needed to do on game engine CPU side. Before they were single threaded limited.

I don't think they rush the development it will be the first time Insomniac have five years to release a new title and I hope it means better side quest content and improvement they needed to do on game engine CPU side. Before they were single threaded limited.
I am not talking about insomniac but other devs

I don't mean this to rag on Insomniac, but the game part of their Playstation titles is rather generic. That clarity of vision surely helps their talented teams apply themselves efficiently?

I'd be surprised if Spiderman 2 offered much more than improved visuals, a new story and a few mission tweaks. I'm not suggesting that isn't plenty to be be worth people's time & money!

Fruit FusionAndroid, iOS
Bad Dinos
Digit & DashiOS
Edge of NowhereWindows
The Unspoken
Feral Rites
SeedlingMagic Leap One
2019StormlandWindows
Meanwhile Nintendo taking over 5 years for a game that looks like a DLC to Breath of the Wild...

Anyway, I hope this will come quickly to PC too.

I don't mean this to rag on Insomniac, but the game part of their Playstation titles is rather generic. That clarity of vision surely helps their talented teams apply themselves efficiently?

I'd be surprised if Spiderman 2 offered much more than improved visuals, a new story and a few mission tweaks. I'm not suggesting that isn't plenty to be be worth people's time & money!
I mean, it's pretty unfair to talk about a specific studios output being generic, when in the gaming industry the genres and niches have become pretty uniform as a whole.

An open world Spiderman game, third person shooter based platformer in ratchet, seems pretty consistent with the rest of the industry. Who else is being more "ambitious"?

I mean, it's pretty unfair to talk about a specific studios output being generic, when in the gaming industry the genres and niches have become pretty uniform as a whole.

An open world Spiderman game, third person shooter based platformer in ratchet, seems pretty consistent with the rest of the industry. Who else is being more "ambitious"?

+1 I think Spiderman games suffer from not having tons of well written side quests but from a gameplay perspective this is a spiderman game. I hope having more time to do Spiderman 2 they will do more side quest like the one with tombstone for example.

Another hope, I hope spiderman speed will increase a lot going on PS5 and we can add for next Horizon no PS4 this time don't make the flying mount flight at 10km/h.

Copy paste pixel art indie games too difficult for majority of players ;d

I thought I was being very clear that I wasn't slagging them off for being 'generic'. I was postulating that it allowed their talented teams to focus on the quality and deliver in a timely way. Nothing wrong with that.

I thought I was being very clear that I wasn't slagging them off for being 'generic'. I was postulating that it allowed their talented teams to focus on the quality and deliver in a timely way. Nothing wrong with that.
"I don't mean this to rag on Insomniac, but the game part of their Playstation titles is rather generic."

???

The reason I responded to you was because you said it as if they were uniquely generic in the industry which allowed them to gain an edge in other areas. But they are not really any more generic than any other developer, which means it would not really be an advantage.

I think it's probably just their work flow is very efficient.

"I don't mean this to rag on Insomniac, but the game part of their Playstation titles is rather generic."

???

The reason I responded to you was because you said it as if they were uniquely generic in the industry which allowed them to gain an edge in other areas. But they are not really any more generic than any other developer, which means it would not really be an advantage.

I think it's probably just their work flow is very efficient.

Maybe a mistranslation from English english. Rather being the same as quite or moderately. 😁

I don't mean this to rag on Insomniac, but the game part of their Playstation titles is rather generic. That clarity of vision surely helps their talented teams apply themselves efficiently? I'd be surprised if Spiderman 2 offered much more than improved visuals, a new story and a few mission tweaks. I'm not suggesting that isn't plenty to be be worth people's time & money!

I think franchises like Spider-Man - that are well fleshed out with vast amounts of source material - can be tricky to change too much. You can expect fundamental gameplay evolutions, which we saw in Miles Morales, but fundamentally it's Spider-Man. His thing is fighting crime by swinging around, using his agility and strength and webbing people.

Unless you're thinking of a gameplay paradigm shift like classic God of War to modern God of War, the Spider-Man formula is kind of locked but I'd be interested to hear what you think they could add or change without incurring the wrath of Spider-Man fans. It's the same with most franchises: Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, The Last of Us, Halo, Gears of War. They are what they are. Changing too much is a hell of a risk/reward gamble.

I think franchises like Spider-Man - that are well fleshed out with vast amounts of source material - can be tricky to change too much. You can expect fundamental gameplay evolutions, which we saw in Miles Morales, but fundamentally it's Spider-Man. His thing is fighting crime by swinging around, using his agility and strength and webbing people.

Unless you're thinking of a gameplay paradigm shift like classic God of War to modern God of War, the Spider-Man formula is kind of locked but I'd be interested to hear what you think they could add or change without incurring the wrath of Spider-Man fans. It's the same with most franchises: Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, The Last of Us, Halo, Gears of War. They are what they are. Changing too much is a hell of a risk/reward gamble.

I wasn't suggesting they need to change up their formula for Spider-Man or Rachet too much. More that iteration on a clear (I quite regret using 'generic') formula is probably a huge help to their very dependable release cadence.

As for what I'd actually change, I'd probably have cleaning the apartment sections where you have to use all your Spider powers to get it done before Mary Jane appears and calls you out for living in a shit hole. Write about what you know! Hurried tidying before someone arrived was a key part of my 20's. 😁

Last edited:
Back