*spawn Twice as fast / twice faster

fehu

Veteran
*MOD EDIT: Moved 22 posts from four pages discussing this matter from AMD: R8xx Speculation thread

The first it should mean to anyone reading it, is that
Just for the record's sake if RV770 is 100 than in order to reach 1.6x you need to add 60%.

that is different from sayng "1.6 times faster"
it would be 60% if it was worded "0.6 times faster"

that is different from sayng "1.6 times faster"
it would be 60% if it was worded "0.6 times faster"

No 1.6 times faster literally means you take the first number and multiply it by 1.6. 0.6 times faster doesn't make sense because multiplying something by 0.6 would give you a smaller number.

maybe it's a problem with the wording in my original language, but
+60% -> y is 1.6x
+160% -> y is x+1.6x -> x is n time more than...

No 1.6 times faster literally means you take the first number and multiply it by 1.6. 0.6 times faster doesn't make sense because multiplying something by 0.6 would give you a smaller number.

This is where logic&maths don't meet with the common way people use these terms.

How people usually use it is what you said, 1.6 times faster = 160% speed of something, while maths and logic dictate that 1.6 times faster = 260% speed of something

The way i see it is lets say we were getting 30fps in crysis with the rv770. Miltply that number by 1.6 and that would be your performance increase number. for example: 30x1.6=48FPS for Rv870.

The way i see it is lets say we were getting 30fps in crysis with the rv770. Miltply that number by 1.6 and that would be your performance increase number. for example: 30x1.6=48FPS for Rv870.

1.6 times faster

30 + 30*1.6

Nope Richard, that's not right.
If we'll take x = 30
1 time faster = x + x
1.6 times faster = x + (x*1.6)
2.5 times faster = x + (x*2.5)

So 1 time faster = 30 + 30 = 60
1.6 times faster = 30 + 48 = 78
2.5 times faster = 30 + 75 = 105

This is how MATH & LOGIC do it.

Common use among people is however the way you said it.

- hi
- hi
- how much hight are you?
- I'm two time you, so is 1.70*2

- hi
- hi
- how much hight are you?
- I'm two time highter than you, so is your height plus two time your height, so is 1.70 + 1.70*2

- hi
- hi
- you eated a lot of spinach when you was a kid
- sure

maybe it's a problem of direct translation in my language, and in english the same must be worded differently, but I interpret it this way

fehu it's not the wording, it's just the common use that's different from how it should be used

30 * 1.6 would be "1.6 times as fast"
30+30*1.6 would be "1.6 times faster"

That's right, however the "1.6 times faster" is in common talk used meaning the same as "1.6 times as fast"

The language barrier may have left some nuances lost.

If it is an additional 60% of performance over the original, English speakers would usually say "it is 60 percent faster" or "it is 1.6 times as fast".
160% additional performance would be 160% faster or 2.6 times as fast.

Fuad picked words from both ways of saying it and wound up saying nothing, unfortunately.
One doesn't include the base performance hinted at with 1.6 and then say "faster" because this is too ambiguous.

Maths and logic would not make an ambiguous statement such as "1.6x faster". The two clauses together don't make sense precisely because they are ambiguous.

For what it's worth, as a native English speaker, my interpretation of what you said in that post is that you're not a native English speaker and that something has been lost in translation. Apologies if you are a native speaker :)

Anyway regarding Fuds post I'm reasonably certain that somewhere along the line something has been lost in the translation chain English->Chinese->English->Bosnian->English-><insert language here>->English-><insert another language here>->English->...

Nope Richard, that's not right.
If we'll take x = 30
1 time faster = x + x
1.6 times faster = x + (x*1.6)
2.5 times faster = x + (x*2.5)

So 1 time faster = 30 + 30 = 60
1.6 times faster = 30 + 48 = 78
2.5 times faster = 30 + 75 = 105

Common use among people is however the way you said it.

Actually yeah, I ninja-edited my post when blood reached my half-awake brain. :p

When Im saying twice as fast or 2 times faster, Im always refering to current speed times 2 and I thought thats how everyone was taught to read it in math.

Joe's honda civic can do 160 miles an hour
Fred's farrari is 2 times faster.
How fast is the farrari ?
160 *2=320mph.

But I may need to go back to school if that isnt the correct way LOL

When Im saying twice as fast or 2 times faster, Im always refering to current speed times 2 and I thought thats how everyone was taught to read it in math.

Joe's honda civic can do 160 miles an hour
Fred's farrari is 2 times faster.
How fast is the farrari ?
160 *2=320mph.

But I may need to go back to school if that isnt the correct way LOL

Yep, you do need to go back to school, the Ferrari would go 480mph if it's 2 times faster. If it's 2 times as fast it would go 320mph

1.6 times faster = 1 + 1*1.6 = 260% of 1

1.6 times as fast = 1*1.6 = 160% of 1

Substitute "100%" or "160%" in place of of "1.6 times" to hear it better.

Hence the phrase "twice as fast" - meaning x*2 = 200% of x.
Also, hence the phrase "10% (for, example) faster" - meaning x + x*.1 - meaning 110% of x.

People who say things like "Two times faster" when they mean "twice as fast" are speaking incorrectly.

Edit: Shit, there's a whole new page explaining this already. Will click next, next time.

Back