Soul Calibur still impressive?

I pulled this game out, haven't played it in a LONG time.

I'm still very impressed with this 3+ year old game.

anyone else here still impressed by Soul Calibur?

the motion capture is some of the best Ive ever seen.

Yup, it was one of the few fighters I enjoyed..
and more impressive, it is the #3 highest rated game of all time(according to Gamerankings.com)
right above Halflife, and just below Metroid Prime.

Everything in this game just clicked. It's still awesome... the animation is brilliant, and the graphics are very pleasing to the eye.

Yeah, it is seriously impressive. The motion is beautiful, and the graphics are probably the absolute best on DC. Great testament to DC's true power...

<hick American accent>Dude, you can't coach "Super Happy Fun Mega RPG & Peoplesoft Manufacturing Concern"....</hick American accent>

I'm not sure if I should be proud or ashamed of that... :oops:

archie4oz said:
<hick American accent>Dude, you can't coach "Super Happy Fun Mega RPG & Peoplesoft Manufacturing Concern"....</hick American accent>

I'm not sure if I should be proud or ashamed of that... :oops:

LOL Archie!

Naw, there's this guy I play MechAssault online with (FroznReapr). He is SUCH a hick, but he's absolutely HILARIOUS. Anyways, he said something similar to the above (I couldnt remember the exact wording), so I thought I'd just amalgamate them ;)

for those that have seen SC2 in the arcade, what kind of a leap is it from SC on Dreamcast?

is it like the leap from Soul Edge on PSX & System11 arcade (almost identical) to the Dreamcast version of SC? (not arcade SC)

Also, how much better is the DC version of SC compared to the arcade (System12) version?

I've heard that the DC's visuals are better by several times. some even
say 10x.

The arcade System12 hardware is about 50% greater than PSX, DC is much more than 10x PSX, and probably 10x System12.

how is the arcade's SC1 animation and framerate?

Arcade SC1 looks basically like the DC SC with point sampling.

Arcade SC2 looks good, but it honestly didn't 'blow me away' or anything. IMO, DoA3 still had better character models, and VF4 had better animation.

It was still amazing though, and since the console ports should be arcade perfect, its still a must-buy.

I was never a SC guru, but the core gameplay didnt seem all that different from the arcade SC1. A lot of the moves and animations look the same... (but thats not necessarily bad).

edit: I guess you could say the leap from DC SC -> Arcade SC2 is like DoA2 -> DoA3, rather than VF3->VF4.

SC2 looks pretty tight. I've heard characters have self shadowing, which none of the current fighters have:

soul_screen008.jpg

for those that have seen SC2 in the arcade, what kind of a leap is it from SC on Dreamcast?

Its pretty good, its like a more detail SC. Just take a look at Nightmare for example. In SC he is just plain, in SC2 looks abit more interesting :) As for gameplay, haven't spend alot of time on it, but my first impression isn't good :(

is it like the leap from Soul Edge on PSX & System11 arcade (almost identical) to the Dreamcast version of SC? (not arcade SC)

Soul Edge is the first one, SC is the sequel. SC even in Arcade is much better than SE. If you look from a distance SC Arcade, looks like SC on DC. But its obvious DC one is superior. :) we are talking about PSX base hardware here. But it was one of the better looking game on it.

I never spend much time on SC in the Arcade, but I know the animation is still fluid, and alot better than Tekken 3.

SC2 will be release next year on all 3, so you can judge it yourself.

Back