Sony's Cross-Generation Game Messaging [2021]

The game will release one day in PC maybe in two years(3 years after release) or 4 years(5 years after release). All depends of Sony policy before they have a PS4 backlog to release to PC and it sold well.

I'd say Demon's Souls Remake PC will come out the year before Demon's Souls 2 PS5, as a way to market the newer game on the console.
Maybe 2025 for Demon's Souls 2, making Demon's Souls Remake PC a 2024 game.

I'd say Demon's Souls Remake PC will come out the year before Demon's Souls 2 PS5, as a way to market the newer game on the console.
This was my theory for Horizon Zero Dawn. The sequel is coming out only on PS4/PS5 anytime soon - launch on PC and maybe get some PC-only folks to consider getting a console for the sequel if they like the original enough.

Good point. I suppose just getting the internet chatter going is worthwhile alone.
Profits from the PC crowd, after profits from the main platform become residual and the game already pulled in enough people to the Playstation ecossystem, are also important of course.

https://wccftech.com/demons-souls-remake-playstation-4-database-entry-old/
The database entry is over 4 years old and whoever scraped it managed to somehow do it without obtaining even a single piece of metadata to verify any aspect of it, so I don't think it's worth even acknowledging personally. It's very likely a PS Now entry for the internal port of Demon's Souls PS3 for PS4 that was created during the early stages of remake for the purpose of remote QA. Sony often do this. These builds are never intended for release.
So I'm not certain we will see ps4 version.

Last edited:
I think PlayStation has another two years of crossgen slated for their titles, 2022 and 2023. Maybe more. I think Xbox is nearly finished, with small number one or two crossgen titles being early 2022.
Wow looks like Sony is suiciding, taking the piss out of PS5 gamers with jank games supporting 2013 hardware.

Wow looks like Sony is suiciding, taking the piss out of PS5 gamers with jank games supporting 2013 hardware.
Suiciding? Lol they'll be just fine.
Doubt the games will be jank either.
Games may not be all they could've been, but doesn't mean they will be anywhere close to bad.

It is crazy how their cross gen seems to be lasting longer than xbox though. Who would've believed that would be the case a year ago.

It makes sense. MS has less to lose than Sony considering they were outsold almost 3:1. Sony could piss off 120 million users. MS can only piss off 50 million users.

Also worth noting that the chip shortage is hurting Sony more than MS. Especially, given that XSS is unaffected.

It makes sense. MS has less to lose than Sony considering they were outsold almost 3:1. Sony could piss off 120 million users. MS can only piss off 50 million users.
But that wasn't the messaging, far from it.
I'm not disagreeing with this view though, as it's one I shared when this all came up a year ago.
Also worth noting that the chip shortage is hurting Sony more than MS. Especially, given that XSS is unaffected.
I wouldn't say its affecting MS less.
PS5 is outselling every other PS generation, and outselling xbox this generation.
If MS could get more XSX out there they would be selling more.

Doesn't matter. PS5 will sell as fast as it can be made, and Sony will be making more money from reaching the PS4 install base alongside PS5 than if they target PS5 alone.

Perhaps this marks the end of generations for real? The value of a hard transition is lost where the architecture doesn't change and everyone's now getting used to soft transitions across all devices. Seems like a natural evolution towards a software platform/experience and a library of entertainment rather than a particular box with its own identity.

Doesn't matter. PS5 will sell as fast as it can be made, and Sony will be making more money from reaching the PS4 install base alongside PS5 than if they target PS5 alone.

Perhaps this marks the end of generations for real? The value of a hard transition is lost where the architecture doesn't change and everyone's now getting used to soft transitions across all devices. Seems like a natural evolution towards a software platform/experience and a library of entertainment rather than a particular box with its own identity.
Technology has reached a point where cross generation games can look like the same game on high and low settings depending on the generation, but still be largely the same game. Although, real next gen games aren't out yet. Games take much longer to make now than they ever have, so no game out can really be a full next gen experience yet. I know someone's going to bring up Ratchet, and that game is impressive for sure, but it had to be in development well before real hardware was.

That essentially describes the PC ecosystem right? There have been great leaps in graphics fidelity on PC even though most software runs on hardware several generations old. Scalability isn't a new concept in games.

That essentially describes the PC ecosystem right? There have been great leaps in graphics fidelity on PC even though most software runs on hardware several generations old. Scalability isn't a new concept in games.

I think even with a rolling generation the console's will have an advantage in the fact that there is a very limited amount of hardware to develop for. Even now you only have to support xbox one , ps4 , pro and x along with the ps5 and xbox series s / x. Its very limited.

On the pc side however even within the same generation of hardware you have wildly different hardware. You have the GeForce 3090ti vs a 3060. You have a 16 /32 ryzen and a 4/8 core ryzen all the same generation. That is just one generation of the hardware that was launched within a year of each other.

The fidelity on the PC is pushed by the extreme end of hardware its then filtered down over years to the rest of industry. I think however on the whole the PC pulled down by the consoles. If you look at 2013 the console released and were behind. It got even worse as the year went on. By 2016 the consoles weren't even in the discussion when it comes to hardware. The pro and x didn't even move the needle with the pc pulling further ahead. I think we already see that here with the new consoles. RT performance is pretty bad compared to the pc side esp when you count in nvidia hardware. With RDNA 3 hitting next year I think the consoles will be very very far behind. I expect them to struggle while pc hardware of the time will play the same games at 4k with higher frame rates. But of course at that point developers wont spend the time making the pc games better. They will be stuck just running higher resolutions with better filtering and ray tracing

That essentially describes the PC ecosystem right?
More like iThing. A fixed set of hardware permutations makes consoles a nicer target. But in real terms, everything made for console is also made for PC and has to deal with the infinite permutations on that platform anyway!

The most concerning aspect here is game design being capped by a minimum performance level, particular on the CPU or game-processing side rather than graphics. And considering mobile is now an incredibly big and versatile platform, we run the risk of games targeting their gameplay systems to a mobile processor and just throwing eye-candy at it, which actually works on a business level because social media and viral reach is largely driven by visuals. That can also work in new-wave titles that target the high end alone as they can push next-gen visuals, but next-gen gameplay is going to be a more difficult choice to commit to from the dev's POV. Given a choice between 'game that only works on powerful systems' and 'game that runs on anything including a watch', you have to choose between a smaller, more selective market but possibly with higher proportional uptake and/or unit pricing, or an insanely massive market where a tiny adoption rate might still be far more profitable, but then you may also get lost in the mix.

But that wasn't the messaging, far from it.
I'm not disagreeing with this view though, as it's one I shared when this all came up a year ago.
I wouldn't say its affecting MS less.
PS5 is outselling every other PS generation, and outselling xbox this generation.
If MS could get more XSX out there they would be selling more.

Well, it IS affecting MS less. They lost out selling 5 or 10 million XSX because of the chip shortage and Sony lost out selling 10 to 20 million PS5s. The chip shortage absolutely hurts Sony more. MS only cares about GP adoption. PC subscribers benefit MS as well.

At the time I didn't expect the chip shortages to be this bad, but I knew Sony was lying about "generations are everything" and you can check my post history from a year ago for details. I'm the least surprised around here by these developments IMO.

I dread to think what clicky-mtx-laden crap Sony are intending to release on mobile. Probably the same stuff everybody else is releasing and making millions off, with Sony IP skins.

Back