Sideways is the new forwards for consoles?

Squilliam

Beyond3d isn't defined yet
Veteran
Supporter
Right at this moment it seems the most successful products in the console industry and the games industry haven't followed the typical development path of major advances in performance between iterations. The three major success stories in the current console cycle seem to be the Wii, Kinect and the Xbox 360 S redesign in terms of sales and profitability and the two major failures are the Xbox 360 original and PS3.

The dilemma I see at the moment is how to reconcile the needs of the less 'needy' people who use their consoles as media centers and whom don't want to pay too much for their consoles or need specifically much higher performance if at all from next generation consoles with those who demand high performance and expensive consoles. The relative success of Kinect, Wii and the development of the Wii U suggest that catering to the wider audience is wildly more profitable than catering to the core/hardcore gamer though that audience is significantly more active and brings in more revenue per person.

With a complex, high performance console it is difficult to cater to the less demanding part of the market because lowering the price to an appropriate level if you've got mandatory HDD's and complex memory, I/O and processing sub-systems is difficult to do profitably. The only systems which do cater to both parts of the market are the next generation interfaces which allow new ways to play games, consume multimedia and can give rise to new innovative uses for the console hardware. So where to draw the line at the needs of the many with low requirements matching the needs of the few with high requirements?

The current generation HD consoles are already stretched well beyond what their original designs anticipated when they were drawn up almost a decade ago. Can they keep up with the evolving requirements to compete with cheaper, more versatile and more up to date machines? If all console makers anticipate keeping their previous generation machines viable in the next generation, will there even be space for 6 consoles on retail shelves or will some be summarily curtailed in favour of the new? The idea which circulates is that cheaper current generation consoles will hold the fort in the lower end of the market whilst more expensive new consoles cater to the higher end, however this idea may not hold in the face of an evolving reality.

If in order to compete effectively in all markets the old must be updated then what we think of as the new may need to be rethought. The Wii U is a sideways expansion of what we call current generation HD consoles combined with the Wii, so what will become of the HD consoles as well call them? Perhaps the best clue is Kinect due to the fact that the hardware and capabilities of the camera interface are significantly greater than what the current Xbox 360 can deliver. Why was hardware which cannot be used effectively now installed in an interface at the expense of higher cost if that performance was never anticipated to be useable?

We have seen the effectiveness of a tick-tock type strategy from Intel, Apple has gone 3G, 3GS, 4G and 4GS so why won't we see Xbox 2, Xbox 2 S, Xbox 2 SS where SS defines the console as Slim/Speed. We have rumours about low relative performance to the PS4 from a future Xbox console, why can't that console be a refined current generation console? Kinect exists with the capability to take advantage of a faster console with better I/O hardware and forward compatibility was talked about by Microsoft quite a while ago. They can update again when or if the need arises and maintain profitability throughout the console cycle instead of risking boom/bust with each iteration. Consoles as we know them may go sideways to cater to new or existing customers and may never attempt to leave the current users behind ever again. Apples strategy works for what is effectively a console platform, why not apply it to what are traditional consoles?

how is the xbox 360 original a failure ? Didn't it out sell MS's previous product and Sony's flagship PS3 ?

I don't think it be considered a failure and the xbox 360 s wouldn't be a sucess if it wasn't built on a sucessfull product

how is the xbox 360 original a failure ? Didn't it out sell MS's previous product and Sony's flagship PS3 ?

I don't think it be considered a failure and the xbox 360 s wouldn't be a sucess if it wasn't built on a sucessfull product

This.

I'd add to it that there is no need to ensure the consoles are introduced at $250. Ipad is having no difficulty in selling at $500. And that is the base configuration for a device that is mostly a gadget/periphery/toy.

As to the tech investment not being necessary, Apple invested heavily to improve the tech in ipad2 and will likely continue again for ipad3.

They did this for a reason.

We also see this same tech investment from Nvidia with the tegra chipsets starting at single core, then dual coare, and now quad(5) core and improved graphics in each as well.

Same for other portable devices getting higher clocks, more cores, and better GPU's.

Tech still sells.

To think that just because a new interface is introduced that the rest of the tech in the box is irrelevant, is to ignore 2 things:

1) Graphics & interactivity are still a long way from perfection
2) "the interface war" is essentially done

It was hot, expensive, unreliable and lost a lot of money. The Xbox 360 S on the other hand was a lot cooler, reliable, profitable and was possibly the best use of a hardware revision on a console in many years. I would say that the 360 S is the base design from which future consoles will be compared, not the original 360.

I would say that the 360 S is the base design from which future consoles will be compared, not the original 360.

Agreed.

Cooling through the side/top of the case is a lot smarter than pairing small fans at the back of the case, and the CPU/GPU chips will likely never be put under an optical drive again. ;)

I'm curious as to why you think the Wii audience and the media center audience are the same people. The Wii is a terrible media center.

But regarding the media center per se, I believe the Xbox and PS3 are historical anomalies there. They're currently good media boxes because few other devices are, but there's no reason a media box needs a powerful graphics processor, all that much RAM, access to an online gaming service, a closed ecosystem that restricts it to licensed media and software, etc. In fact, Profile 2.0 Blu-Ray players and Internet-enabled TVs are already capable of streaming Netflix and rapidly catching up to the sorts of things the HD consoles can do. So for the person who doesn't care about games, boxes that do everything the consoles do for less money and with slimmer profiles are already hitting the market, and they'll be getting them from companies like JVC and RCA, not Microsoft.

In fact, when we get to the point that even your toaster streams Netflix and Hulu, how important is it going to be that your console does, too? How important was DVD playback in 2006?

I'm curious as to why you think the Wii audience and the media center audience are the same people. The Wii is a terrible media center.

But regarding the media center per se, I believe the Xbox and PS3 are historical anomalies there. They're currently good media boxes because few other devices are, but there's no reason a media box needs a powerful graphics processor, all that much RAM, access to an online gaming service, a closed ecosystem that restricts it to licensed media and software, etc. In fact, Profile 2.0 Blu-Ray players and Internet-enabled TVs are already capable of streaming Netflix and rapidly catching up to the sorts of things the HD consoles can do. So for the person who doesn't care about games, boxes that do everything the consoles do for less money and with slimmer profiles are already hitting the market, and they'll be getting them from companies like JVC and RCA, not Microsoft.

In fact, when we get to the point that even your toaster streams Netflix and Hulu, how important is it going to be that your console does, too? How important was DVD playback in 2006?

That may be true, but there's still a lot of people that only buy a TV once every 10-15 years. If your current TV is fine, why spend over a thousand USD for a replacement just for media centric activities when you can instead get it in a console far cheaper. You can apply the same logic to AV receivers and optical media players.

And while some of the more expensive TV's are indeeded starting to include some impressive media related abilities (including DLNA and social networking) they are still a far cry from either of the two HD consoles.

And personally, I'd rather buy a new console every 5-10 years than a TV every 5-10 years.

Optical media players are certainly an alternative, but personally I have a feeling either this generation or the next generation will be the last for optical media players and the industry as a whole will transition to digital distribution and streaming for the masses, while only the niche videophiles will continue to use physical media.

Regards,
SB

They're alike in the way that alternative interfaces apply to them above and beyond additional performance as a priority. I.E. Make consuming media easier whether it is games or movies and make it more inclusive and intuitive.

Where they make the difference is in utility, performance and interface. A lot of media boxes do exist but at the moment none are quite as useful as a games console. This gap will obviously close if a next generation console has too much performance at the expense of noise and price, I.E. they'd leave this group behind when all they would really need is improvements in performance only as far as it allows for a better experience. The problem here is whilst something like the 360 Kinect as it is can be considered good, they can do much better with better hardware.

The importance is this: If my console supports it, I'll use it on the console, because changing devices is a hassle. (My Tivo supports Netflix, my Bluray player supports netflix and hulu and youtube, but in general, I will always use the 360 for those services, because it's easier, faster, and it's what I normally have on)

Now all I need is a Tivo MRV app for the XBox, come on Tivo!

The importance is this: If my console supports it, I'll use it on the console, because changing devices is a hassle. (My Tivo supports Netflix, my Bluray player supports netflix and hulu and youtube, but in general, I will always use the 360 for those services, because it's easier, faster, and it's what I normally have on)

Now all I need is a Tivo MRV app for the XBox, come on Tivo!

The other thing is that your Blu Ray player etc is unlikely to have voice control or motion control which makes navigation a bit more of a pain. I guess this is one obvious advantage for consoles in the present and for another 5 years or so until enough TV penetration happens, though to replace the console option completely would likely take another 5-10 years after that.

Back