Sony Tomorrow: Synergy in the Livingroom

DeathKnight, do you have a quote of what Abbrash said exactly? Personally, at the moment, I'll have to question the credibility of it, but I guess it will impress me all the more if it ever comes to that. Then again, I wonder what the other consoles could achieve using maximum efficiancy... :?

Under virtually any set of assumptions, Xbox has adequate memory bandwidth to handle 50 Mtris/sec. in real-world use, and usually plenty to hit the pipeline limits of the chip.
http://www.ddj.com/documents/s=882/ddj0008a/0008a.htm

Adjust the number between 40-50 because of the decreased clock speed. It's a pretty impressive number, but we won't know if it'll ever be reached until it actually is reached (which requires some pretty damn talented and experienced developers).

DeathKnight,

First, thanks for the link - I read it with great interest. :)

You probably read this article way more times than the one time I just did, so perhaps you can answer me how you conclude that Xbox will be able to handle 40 to 60 mpps, perhaps justifying its 3 times superiour output? The only relevant bits I found in that article states:

Under virtually any set of assumptions, Xbox has adequate memory bandwidth to handle 50 Mtris/sec. in real-world use, and usually plenty to hit the pipeline limits of the chip.

He also states that:

Having said all that, the Xbox GPU will be able, even at 250 MHz, to handle up to 125 million Gouraud-shaded, two-texture triangles per second, complete with transformation, clipping, and perspective projection. With one infinite hardware light added, the rate will be at least 62.5 Mtris/sec.; with eight local lights, at least 8 Mtris/sec.

Obviously, adding nifty light sources decreases geometry outout. Considering that a game with 1 infinite hardware light is still able to push 62.5 Mtris/sec, I have to question if this is taking texturing and many other in-game related stuff into consideration? I doubt though. Of course, a very simple game pushing ~50+ mpps should be possible - I however doubt though that anyone would use it as an example of 3x times the geometry compared to other consoles. Actually, under those circumstances, PS2 probably wouldn't be that far off...

Any thoughts, Or did I miss something relevant?

Phil said:
DeathKnight,

First, thanks for the link - I read it with great interest. :)

You probably read this article way more times than the one time I just did, so perhaps you can answer me how you conclude that Xbox will be able to handle 40 to 60 mpps, perhaps justifying its 3 times superiour output? The only relevant bits I found in that article states:

He also states that:

Having said all that, the Xbox GPU will be able, even at 250 MHz, to handle up to 125 million Gouraud-shaded, two-texture triangles per second, complete with transformation, clipping, and perspective projection. With one infinite hardware light added, the rate will be at least 62.5 Mtris/sec.; with eight local lights, at least 8 Mtris/sec.

Obviously, adding nifty light sources decreases geometry outout. Considering that a game with 1 infinite hardware light is still able to push 62.5 Mtris/sec, I have to question if this is taking texturing and many other in-game related stuff into consideration? I doubt though. Of course, a very simple game pushing ~50+ mpps should be possible - I however doubt though that anyone would use it as an example of 3x times the geometry compared to other consoles. Actually, under those circumstances, PS2 probably wouldn't be that far off...

Any thoughts, Or did I miss something relevant?

well IN THEORY (but i might be very very wrong here), the XBOX should be capable of, let's say, real time cut scenes with an amount of polygons that hovers around the 60million mark... and they would be textured polygons.
PS2 however could only reach that number if the polygons are untextured, because we all know that when adding one layer of textures the fill rate is cut in half.
the thing is, i read somewhere that because the XBOX is fill-rate limited, it would NEVER be capable of DISPLAYING more that around 32 millions polygons a second whatever the conditions are.
that number is not that far off an hypotetical max number for PS2 to be honest, although the XBOX would probably make them look prettier with better textures etc....

really, it makes me wonder how some people cannot see how an *evovled* PS2 coming out on the same day as the XBOX with (of course) loads of improvements (they would have had almost 2 years to improve, and that's a whole lot of time) would absolutely bury the XBOX in pretty much every single aspect.

don't want Lazy or whoever to start flaming me for saying this, but really, try THINKING about it. it's ONLY speculation of course and YES the xbox is more powerful than the PS2 so chill out...... :LOL:

Back