Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

I really would have liked to see the thing hit 120 FOV. That would really put it above the current popular PC HMDs that I am thoroughly accustomed to.

130 degree fov wouldve been up to current higher end pc solutions. The 2019 Index has 130fov, it does add to the immersion (in HL Alyx).

130 degree fov wouldve been up to current higher end pc solutions. The 2019 Index has 130fov, it does add to the immersion (in HL Alyx).
It's similar to the Odyssey+. I've seen a 115 diagonal measurement for both. It's noticeably wider than the Reverbs in my experience.

It's just unfortunate that PSVR2 sounds like it will be a familiar experience on the FOV front. I don't remember what PSVR1 was like anymore but 110 can't be that much wider.

Last edited:
It's similar to the Odyssey+. I've seen a 115 diagonal measurement for both. It's noticeably wider than the Reverbs in my experience.

It's just unfortunate that PSVR2 sounds like it will be a familiar experience on the FOV front. I don't remember what PSVR1 was like anymore but 110 can't be that much wider.
psvr1 is 100, quest2 90, index 108

26o3a9tcu9c81.png

Last edited:
I didn't know the Q2 is so narrow. The Reverbs are quite scuba like already. And the Odyssey+ is underappreciated.

its also super misleading.

Q2 is not only narrow, it also FAR AWAY from your eyes.

while PSVR1 allows eyes to be RIDICULOUSLY CLOSE

Its surprising because the rest of the specs are formiddable for a 400/500usd vr kit in 2022. (Tied to a 10TF main machine)
A wide fov adds to the immersion, a crucial aspect to the total experience.

Its surprising because the rest of the specs are formiddable for a 400/500usd vr kit in 2022. (Tied to a 10TF main machine)
A wide fov adds to the immersion, a crucial aspect to the total experience.
We won't know until it's the fov is measured. A lot of factors contribute to the actual fov experienced.

A quick search showed a measured fov of 108 horizontal and 106 vertical for the Valve Index.

So there are dozens of considerations that impact FOV, and all must be designed together in order to maximize the actual, delivered FOV across the entire user base.

We won't know until it's the fov is measured. A lot of factors contribute to the actual fov experienced.

A quick search showed a measured fov of 108 horizontal and 106 vertical for the Valve Index.

If 130fov results in 106/108, then 110 will be quite below todays highend standards.

I can't find anywhere where Valve list the fov as being 130°. They only say:

Field of View (FOV)​

Optimized eye relief adjustment allows a typical user experience 20º more than the HTC Vive
Depending on who you listen to, the HTC Vive has a typical fov or a bad fov. So 20° more than what?

Fov is a simple geometrical relationship between your eyes and the screen so it has range from person to person. I don't think the Index is physically capable of a 130° fov.

Valve Index is a 2019 VR product, its not a 2022/2023 one. Its listed as a 130 degree fov and 144hz panel, abit weird its lower than 130?

above competitors on market (with exception of pimax that costed 1300$ on premiere and doesnt support eye tracking and haptick feedback).

Theres allegedly coming VR sets this/next year which would be a more accurate comparison. VR remains a niche market though, so its entirely possible everyone but Sony is ignoring it. On PC its the mod community that makes VR interesting there, otherwise its your standard VR games akin to PS4.
Maybe PSVR2 injects some interest for others, but then it has to do better than PSVR in sales.

The 130 number for Index seems to be related to adjustable eye distance. It's a diagonal measurement. I also see 115 for that. And yeah that does vary by user.

With the Reverb G2 one can skip the removable face frame and attach a mask directly to the HMD and get a few more degrees as well. You can get your eyelashes flicking against the lenses and can see the edges of the LCD panels heh. It's still less FOV than an Odyssey+.

Back