Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

I'm actually not convinced the experience on PC will be better at all. Even if the headsets are technically superior, how well will things like foveated rendering and haptics be integrated with the software? I hope the PC solutions can pull it out of the bag there because I really don't want to have to get a PS5 for my VR needs, but if the best experience available is on the PS5 then I may just have to.
Huh? What exactly do you believe the issue will be with regards to foveated rendering and haptics?

I guess the way psvr 1 tracks the headset and controllers can't be emulated, so every psvr game would have to be patched to work on psvr2.

Huh? What exactly do you believe the issue will be with regards to foveated rendering and haptics?

I'm meaning in terms of support. I fear that while on PSVR2 every title will support these things, on PC, because the vast majority of headsets won't have those features, the support will be spotty at best, at least for the first few years.

On the foviated rendering side it'd be great if this was somehow done automatically without requiring game level support but I assuming that's not possible.

I'm meaning in terms of support. I fear that while on PSVR2 every title will support these things, on PC, because the vast majority of headsets won't have those features, the support will be spotty at best, at least for the first few years.

On the foviated rendering side it'd be great if this was somehow done automatically without requiring game level support but I assuming that's not possible.
I would think the APIs and plug-ins would already largely be in place for developers to take advantage of. When the next generation of headsets with eye-tracking come... developers should be able to add support for it as seamlessly as possible.

Obviously not everything is going to support it, but, we're also going to have much more powerful PCs that can brute force visuals in this manner.

Last edited:
Haha this is so Sony. They are too "lazy" to write an abstraction layer.
Yeah. I think the narrative of 'we believe in generations' going in to PS5 that many Sony gamers were backing is starting to look a little thin. It doesn't pay dividends like it did in the past. I think the future is progressive platforms and continuous libraries. I think this move really sad that they can't shoe-horn a PSVR emulation onto the PSVR2 running on a PS4 emulation on their PS5.

Could do with someone (DF) challenging Sony on their software stack and asking if this will be repeated with PSVR 3 and 4...

Why not ? After playing psvr2 games I can't belive anybody want to back to psvr1 blurriness ;d
will simply no longer play them. and wont be buying the remastered version. unless the game is truly unique.

and talking about unique, im pretty sure driveclub vr wont get PSVR2 remaster

will simply no longer play them. and wont be buying the remastered version. unless the game is truly unique.

and talking about unique, im pretty sure driveclub vr wont get PSVR2 remaster
You wont buy Firewall Ultra ? About Driveclub, yeah without evo studio is highly unlikly.

Why not ? After playing psvr2 games I can't belive anybody want to back to psvr1 blurriness ;d
Why are you so accepting of Sony being incapable of providing any improvements?

Why can't Sony simply reach the same heights for PSVR1/PSVR2 as Microsoft has with their X360 BC efforts or their XboxOne BC efforts? Where all X360 games have vast framerate and texture filtering improvements and XboxOne games have FPS Boost or Image quality improvements?

Why are you so accepting of Sony being incapable of providing any improvements?

Why can't Sony simply reach the same heights for PSVR1/PSVR2 as Microsoft has with their X360 BC efforts or their XboxOne BC efforts? Where all X360 games have vast framerate and texture filtering improvements and XboxOne games have FPS Boost or Image quality improvements?
Because I never played old games without any patch increasing resolution/frames. And diff between psvr2 vs psvr1 is bigger than between ps5 and ps4. Btw where is gow4 xsx patch ?😁 would like to play it 4k 60.

You are really judging VR differences from video footage? You can't really judge VR without putting the headset on.

Not from the footage that was shown so far.
This is a silly, unconstructive 'discussion'. Firstly, PSVR2 is clearly a great advance over PSVR than PS5 is over PS4. Not only is there a 1080p to 4K advantage, the FOV of that screen is far higher meaning the relative improvement far greater. You move from LED to OLED with greater contrast, and foveated rendering brings a potential order-of-magnitude more fidelity per pixel than simply PS4 -< PS5 can bring rendering to the whole screen. Videos can't do that justice.

Secondly, there's no reason PSVR games couldn't run on a better headset and take advantage of it so long as the hardware is abstracted enough. We have this already on PC with games scaling to different headsets. There's nothing magical about PSVR2 that mean PSVR (or any other existing VR title) couldn't be rendered to the OLED screens even if with PSVR limitations. No different to supporting DS4 on PS5 even though you don't have haptic triggers. A different platform implemented with more forward-thinking would have the software adapt. And you know what, we have that already to a degree in games. They are already developed with a flexible resolution target so that when Sony enabled 1440p output, games support it. Games should be able to query output resolution and render accordingly. PSVR's API could have been abstracted enough that when rendered on a higher resolution headset, it just works.

Now I can see some justification. PSVR was a first effort and Sony were still in the fixed-function, to the metal mindset going in to PS4. They probably just thought about accessing PSVR without even thinking about what comes next, just as they did creating their past consoles. Interfacing with PSVR is probably some fairly kludgey software. I'm guessing PSVR games only run on PS4, the camera is spoofed through the adaptor and it can't just use any old camera, the adaptor has to be requested. For PS5 to support PSVR games, the game would have to either run in the PS5 environment rather than the PS4 environment, or the PSVR2 would have to have a PSVR emulation written for PS4 and the PSVR game would run in PS4 mode, talk to PSVR, and have some software somewhere making PSVR2 talk like PSVR. That's a fair bit of work, prone to issues, and perhaps of limited value.

But I don't think that clean break works any more and I think response to this news, "why can't I play my PSVR games on PSVR2," indicative of current values. Buy an app on your phone? It works on the new one with a higher res screen. Buy a new Steam game? It works on the new laptop in higher framerate. Get a VR game on one headset and on the new headset it's better. Ideally VR games will be updated (just need ports of the existing PC versions 9 times out of 10!) and, ha ha ha, Sony would eat the cost of giving free updates. Failing that, updates should be cheap to cover the work done. But going forwards, I want to know Sony are properly abstracting their hardware now. The fac they had a PS2 emulator on PS4 but didn't expose it fully does support the 'Sony like milking resales' view, which is also supported with Nintendo's lucrative resell philosophy. It works for Nintendo, it'd be silly from a business POV for Sony not to try that themselves. And if it works, if the majority are happy to buy again, then it's the consumer who's ultimately to blame if Sony go that route. If people didn't buy remakes, they wouldn't be made.

The upside here is this is a great headset and Sony have strong positive history with VR. It could be another Vita, but I think they want a strong position in the VR market. Virtual metaversing could be big. Bring back Home plus this, make it on PC, Sony are actually in a strong position for that emerging market. But we at least know this be well supported for the life of PS5 and should get some fabulous attention and some new VR landmark experiences.

Back