Sony is officially working on PlayStation 4

Sony has confirmed that work on a "future platform" to follow the PS3 "is already under way".

Sony's executive vice president and chief financial officer Masaru Kato made the revelation on a conference call to investors today. He was asked to explain increased research and development (R&D) costs.

"For the home equipment the PS3 still has a product life," he said, "but this is a platform business, so for the future platform - when we'll be introducing what product I cannot discuss that - but our development work is already under way, so the costs are incurred there."

Kato's comments are in direct contrast those of Sony Computer Entertainment boss Kaz Hirai's. Hirai said, three months ago in March, that "a near-future PS4 or next-generation home console is not something that we are even debating now".

Hirai stressed that Sony wasn't "even at the half-way point" in PS3's lauded 10-year plan.

This console cycle may be destined to last longer than previous generations, but there are already rumours of top-tier publishing partners receiving prototype dev kits of Microsoft's new Xbox.

Meanwhile Nintendo has plans to formerly unveil Wii 2 - codenamed Project Cafe - at E3 next month.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-26-sony-is-working-on-playstation-4

Pretty sure they're in the R&D phase but I can understand why Kaz Hurai said they're not working on it...they want people to continue to buy the PS3 instead of waiting for a PS4.

Work on the next-gen device most likely started before this one was even released, even if there were maybe just a few people doing background-research/predicting the future. IIRC work on PS3 and more specifically Cell started some time around 2000 or a bit before that.

I think I recall, at E3 2005 after PS3 was revealed, Sony stated they were already in the planning stages for the next console, that Nvidia and them were working on a graphics roadmap that began with RSX.

Here it is (link not working)

As the company revealed during E3, it's teamed up with leading PC graphics card maker Nvidia to create a new graphics chip, called the RSX, for the PS3.

"Our new GPU has been cocreated with Nvidia. I drew a road map for the future together with [Nvidia president] Jen-Hsun, and the starting point of that road map is the RSX. Many people seem to think that the PS3's GPU is an upgraded model of GPUs for the PC, but it actually has a completely different architecture," explained Kutaragi, whose comments seemed to indicate that the two companies might work together again on the inevitable PlayStation 4

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/24/news_6126423.html

??? That quote is gibberish. RSX isn't a new architecture - it's 7xxx series nVidia.

Well, it can be true. :p It's not an upgraded model of GPUs for PC, and it also has XDR I/O (well, at least RSX is significantly larger than G71). :p

I'm sure I'm reading too much into it but I almost see him distinguishing between a "platform" and the PS3. It almost makes me think it's like a next gen network rather than PS4 that the R&D is about.

But that doesn't make a whole lot of sense and I'm sure he does mean Ps4.

How much was the increase in R&D expenditure anybody know?

And is Microsoft's R&D increasing right now the same way?

Anyway, the Wii2 is what is going to start to bring pressure for next gen, the writing is kind of on the wall there, especially if, as likely, it's significantly more powerful than current gen. Everybody has a ten year plan till they get punched in the face, to paraphrase Mike Tyson :LOL:

I'm sure I'm reading too much into it but I almost see him distinguishing between a "platform" and the PS3. It almost makes me think it's like a next gen network rather than PS4 that the R&D is about.

It makes sense if you picture they way in which they want to develop the PSN in terms of mobile devices, embedded devices, and consoles. If PS4 is a software platform that runs on a number of different hardware platforms, maybe with a smattering of virtualisation chucked in for good measure.

Sony Confirms Development of PS4, Cuts PlayStation Development Budget.

Sony Cuts Investment Costs for PlayStation 4 Game Console

[05/26/2011 07:12 PM]
by Anton Shilov
Sony Corp. has confirmed that it had initiated development of the next-generation PlayStation video game console. At the same time, the company admitted that due to global economic crisis along with its own business problems, it would not invest the same amounts of money into the PlayStation 4 as it did in case of the PS3.

"The PS3 still has product life, but this is a platform business. So for the future [of the] platform, when will we introduce it? What product? I cannot discuss that. But development work is already underway," said Masaru Kato, chief financial officer of Sony, at a meeting with investors noting that part of the FY2012's (began on March 31, 2011) R&D budget would be spent on the PS4, reports Gamasutra web-site.

Sony invested tremendous amounts of money into PlayStation 3 game consoles, which is currently still the worst-selling system in the current generation behind Nintendo Wii and Microsoft Xbox 360. In particular, the consumer electronics giant co-developed Cell heterogeneous multi-core microprocessor with IBM and Toshiba and invested into chip manufacturing facilities, developed Blu-ray disc standard and spent money on BD replication plants, created a number of other technologies. Sony had been losing money on all PS3 consoles it sold for years after the introduction in 2006.

But that is not something that is going to happen to the PlayStation 4. The company is going to try to cut research & development as well as manufacturing costs. Partly, those expenditures should be reduced because the firm no longer plans to make major chips itself using proprietary manufacturing processes on its own fabs. In addition, the firm does not seem to have plans to create a new microprocessor for the console from scratch.

"This is something that will not happen in the future. The semiconductor business is changing. It is no longer thinkable to have a huge initial financial investment like that of the PS3," said Mr. Kato, reports Andriasang web-site.

Rumours that Sony had initiated work on the PlayStation 4 have been floating around for over a year now. At present, capabilities of the console are unclear, but the targets have probably already been set.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multim..._PS4_Cuts_PlayStation_Development_Budget.html

Hmmmm. Well, that's very disturbing, if true....

Why? They can still make a powerful console without spending near as much on R&D. I'd certainly hope they wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel again, I don't think it served them all that well in the PS3. (I mean that I don't think the effort for cell was worth the result)

Yeah, I don't see the problem about cutting R&D for next gen. With PS3 there was some sort of mismanagement of R&D, and initial investments to begin with. They invested in lots of stuff, that didn't get used. PS3 had one SPU disable in its Cell processor. If they did it right, they would have save some money just making a 7 SPU Cell. Then there is the FLEXIO that doesn't get fully utilised. Who else does that ? Of course we all know about its security features. Also, Sony invested in PS2 BC, ended up using hardware solution and later abandon it all together. Invested in eDRAM and later seliing the fabrication plan. It's just bad decision one after the other.

Looking at NGP they seems to be more organized this time around, maybe PS4 may turn out to be their best hardware yet even if the R&D investment is lower.

maybe this time the easiest way to keep retrocompatibility with cell would be to keep cell... or just go for a mild incremental upgrade of it.
After all, the main weak point of cell was its partner.. the RSX ! and cell ended up doing all the work a cpu isn't supposed to do... from cliping/culling/optimising geometry, and lightning to postprocessing and antialiasing and even pixel shading in battlefield3 !!
This time around, they just need someone with huge balls to really choose the next gen GPU on the roadmap instead of ending with RSX when the 8800 was around the corner.
Maybe they should just release dev kits to work with higher levels API for first gen games which would work on drivers only like on PC directX games... then only authorise second gen games which would be close to metal after the release of the console which would have the "really next gen GPU". This would off course require a huge bet on the capacity of the GPU designer to deliver in due time the GPU.
I suppose it is already done this way but if they want to survive the next gen war... they really need to have a noticeable edge over microsoft this time around.. because they don't have the silky smooth LIVE and neither Kinect, and their reputation has taken a serious hit recently too.

Indeed the X360 cost considerably less in R&D then the PS3 but put out a comparable system. The main thing a cut back in R&D costs means and that is not certain as they left it open with try will cut back on is exotic design decisions. Which is a bit of a bummer but not exactly a gamebreaker.

Didn't Sony spend a ton of that PS3 development money building a huge fab they later sold to Toshiba at a loss? Presumably Sony won't get caught up in that kind of thing again.

Nah. PS3 had massive investment for things like Cell that don't need to be reproduced. If anything they overspent on PS3, and a cutback is a case of efficiency rather than reduction. In fact at this point the hardware may be almost immaterial. The best console next gen regards the experience given to consumers may be the one with the best virtualised middleware that's portable across the most platforms.

Yeah, Sony should look at what expensive and strange hardware has brought them, and what MS has gotten with good development tools out of the box. IMHO it's very hard to justify expensive development of complicated custom CPUs and GPUs, especially when you consider the general economy and Sony's financial position.

I think the plan was for the PS4 to have reduced R&D expenditure from the start of the PS3 planning. I've always thought of the Cell as a multi-generational processor. I've thought of Blu-ray being in PS3 and PS4. Plus, the mention of a GPU roadmap starting with the RSX points to the same. Of course, I always thought the PS4 would include the evolution of those original investments.

The Cell was a processor design based on the best hardware performance one could get when unencumbered with legacy support (for die space and money). One of the goals was to be ahead of Intel's processor performance for, I believe, four or five years from launch. They have accomplished that. STI know they can, easily, push the clock speed up to 5 GHz. They, also, know they can drop up to a 36 core Cell on a 45nm process. That research is done. That screams thinking beyond the PS3 to me.

They made a lot of money from the PS2. I believe the thinking was, at some levels, about an investment into a long-term future. It seems to be an investment that spans, at least, two console generations. The software development of libraries for the Cell screams that it would not be complete in only one console generation.

This frees up options for the future. Either you can scrap everything and start over next generation, including very high R&D costs. Or, you can have much lower R&D costs next generation with high performance and ease of development (all while your competition, typically, has to invest heavily and start over).

Think of it as the filming of Matrix 2 & 3 or Lord of the Rings. It's cheaper to film the movie as one, instead of separately. The difference being that it looks worse on paper ($225 million instead of $75 million per film). In the case of the PS3 & PS4, the development appears to go beyond the short-sightedness of a single console generation.

I think the plan was for the PS4 to have reduced R&D expenditure from the start of the PS3 planning. I've always thought of the Cell as a multi-generational processor. I've thought of Blu-ray being in PS3 and PS4. Plus, the mention of a GPU roadmap starting with the RSX points to the same. Of course, I always thought the PS4 would include the evolution of those original investments.

The Cell was a processor design based on the best hardware performance one could get when unencumbered with legacy support (for die space and money). One of the goals was to be ahead of Intel's processor performance for, I believe, four or five years from launch. They have accomplished that. STI know they can, easily, push the clock speed up to 5 GHz. They, also, know they can drop up to a 36 core Cell on a 45nm process. That research is done. That screams thinking beyond the PS3 to me.

They made a lot of money from the PS2. I believe the thinking was, at some levels, about an investment into a long-term future. It seems to be an investment that spans, at least, two console generations. The software development of libraries for the Cell screams that it would not be complete in only one console generation.

This frees up options for the future. Either you can scrap everything and start over next generation, including very high R&D costs. Or, you can have much lower R&D costs next generation with high performance and ease of development (all while your competition, typically, has to invest heavily and start over).

Think of it as the filming of Matrix 2 & 3 or Lord of the Rings. It's cheaper to film the movie as one, instead of separately. The difference being that it looks worse on paper ($225 million instead of $75 million per film). In the case of the PS3 & PS4, the development appears to go beyond the short-sightedness of a single console generation.

That's an incredible amount of effort you're putting in to spin this.

Sony never intended for this generation to be something of a disaster, and I doubt that RSX was actually an expensive, ahead-of-its-time investment in PS4.

MS will have "ease of development" next generation without without sacrificing this generation, and I expect the same thing from Nintendo.

One of the goals was to be ahead of Intel's processor performance for, I believe, four or five years from launch. They have accomplished that.

What?

That depends on why the competition is doing, I'd say.

It would seem that Sony does not want to be late to the party. They will want to make sure they have a new console ready incase MS makes the jump in 2013. Wii2 will likely get one year of the market to itself.

I hope neither Sony or MS take the low tech road and really go after the performance crown, again.

Forget for a minute that I said launch at a lower price. Hypothetically what if Sony spent all it's RnD budget on a new GPU, a GPU that in all likelihood would have more potential than a competitors GPU who also has to spend money sourcing a new CPU (given identical budgets).
The consensus seems to be that the PS3 is unbalanced with too much emphasis being placed on CPU power. Would that CPU power (a nine core 3.2Ghz processor) still be adequate in a couple of years time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back