Sony Gamescom 2013 conference

Not sure how i feel about Shadow of the beast
Being a Amiga 500 owner from the 80s. For people who weren't around then shadow of the beast was THE game that defined the Amiga. So it's huge news. But I'm sort of the opinion that they shouldnt renew old franchises be they games or films. Its best to let the elite's the manic miner's the knight lore's pass away

The Amiga had such a good library of games, some of which have yet to be surpassed, that it would be a shame to let them fade into obscurity. I think, if it is done in a sympathetic way, that re-imagining some of them has the potential to bring a whole new audience some of the joy of the 16 bit era.

Give me Moonstone, Barbarian, Hybris, IK+ etc. But if they are jazzed up to modern expectations then give me a true to form original version as well.

so they announced nov 15/29? what a surprise gaf had been overly optimistic with their mid oct predictions :LOL:

but hey, we have one firm date now.

oh and i guess cboat was wrong...again

32 countries definitely trumps ms with ease...

kind of crazy both are going late in japan. i guess that speaks how much japan has fallen out of console relevancy. but then again i am sure even japan's puny sales are miles above some (even most) of the countries on sony's list, so it may be localization issues again (but you'd think sony wouldn't have problems there...)

Lot's of indie titles, but besides that, it was a really boring event. I'm personally tired of seeing the same three first party games being shown in the last 3 events.

Oh so true~

The live view of online games with the option to join is potentially excellent, if you can find games and join from the main console interface instead of ghastly lobbies and waiting, but it'd need to be engineered incredibly well to allow the versatility it'd warrant (selection of filters before finding games). Virgin Media partnership is useful for the lies of myself where they aren't available...

It's somewhat close to what I want for a 2D Home, but the devil is in the details. Gotta try it myself.

Most importantly though, the camera is a complete waste of time. It'll have one function, the Play Room, and otherwise sit there uselessly. At least going by what Sony have shown. I was playing Tumble on a 3D TV for the first time today. Just like EyeToy, Sony have forsaken something they spent a lot of effort developing because they gotten bored of it. Richard Marks job is great in what he gets to do, but it must be pretty demoralising that Sony have such a lack-lustre interest in his creations and will never back them properly.

You like Tumble ? It's a cute little title that showcase Move pretty well.

Tumble, and the drawing recognition engine should definitely be reused in PS4.

EDIT: A clearer view of the live UI. Pretty cool:
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_killzone_shadow_fall_gc_ps4_interface-30578_en.html

32 only trumps ms if the volume shipped is also a lot more.
Which wouldn't surprise me though. :smile:

What a crazy day, after ms closed session tweeting, I thought, well that wasn't great.

Watched Sony's and thought MS wasn't so bad after all.
Sony in-between the silence, waiting for their employees to cheer which they forgot to do sometimes, so awkward silences, I just wasn't that impressed.
I'm really surprised, maybe I was expecting too much after the ms one?

It's almost like ms thought, we aint got much to say, so lets not say much, and tell them to go play games.
Sony 2 hrs to say what could've been said in 1hr.

Can remote play work whilst PS4 is streaming Netflix on the tv? Pretty sure that wouldn't be too hardware heavy, and may fall under OS reserved system resources.
Or does the PS4 become locked down and unusable at that time?

32 only trumps ms if the volume shipped is also a lot more.
Which wouldn't surprise me though. :smile:

What a crazy day, after ms closed session tweeting, I thought, well that wasn't great.

Watched Sony's and thought MS wasn't so bad after all.
Sony in-between the silence, waiting for their employees to cheer which they forgot to do sometimes, so awkward silences, I just wasn't that impressed.
I'm really surprised, maybe I was expecting too much after the ms one?

It's almost like ms thought, we aint got much to say, so lets not say much, and tell them to go play games.
Sony 2 hrs to say what could've been said in 1hr.

Can remote play work whilst PS4 is streaming Netflix on the tv? Pretty sure that wouldn't be too hardware heavy, and may fall under OS reserved system resources.

i didn't see sony's but they seemed about equally light content wise.

gamescom is not as disappointing as something like gdc, but it's no e3.

most disappointing to me is new next gen footage seems pretty lacking so far. maybe more will turn up from the show floor.

I am waiting for them to show this. ^_^
Probably one of the most common use cases.

i didn't see sony's but they seemed about equally light content wise.

gamescom is not as disappointing as something like gdc, but it's no e3.

most disappointing to me is new next gen footage seems pretty lacking so far. maybe more will turn up from the show floor.
MS was saying prior to event that they'll have things to say all week.
So lets see if that's true, they seem to want to drip feed stuff.

Will be interesting what else Sony has to say this week, or if they went all out in their conference.

It's obvious Sony didn't go all out. The question is are they showing any of it on the show floor or holding it for a later date.

I like the games shown though. Now I just hope for some nice stuff from Japan for TGS. And I don't think a 2013 lauch for japan is out. They would announce that at TGS not Gamescon but I don't see it likely till at least December.

It's obvious Sony didn't go all out. The question is are they showing any of it on the show floor or holding it for a later date.
It's not obvious to me.....
I did say _this week_, I'm sure that both Sony and MS will have things to say at a later date at TGS etc. Holding back for later date doesn't count. :)

It's not obvious to me.....
I did say _this week_, I'm sure that both Sony and MS will have things to say at a later date at TGS etc. Holding back for later date doesn't count. :)

Given how little they have shown so far, it should be possible to show more this week if they want to.

They should beef up their PSN though. Hopefully their network and their partners' are up for massive video sharing and streaming.

Cheaper Vita and memory cards!
The memory card price cuts are a disappointment. They amount to a 20% price cut after nearly 2 years. So the markup on a Vita memory card is still over three-fold. And the Vita still needs a 64GB card given how big some of its games are.

How much was Vita before the cut ? I forgot.

If Sony also lower the wholesale memcard price, we should be able to get the cards cheaper from 3rd parties.

Vita is more and more interesting because of Gaikai and Google-Starbucks partnership.

Boom

Microsoft might have touted the industry’s two biggest series alongside its console at Gamescom earlier today, but that offering was, once again, trumped by the sheer volume and integrity of Sony’s announcements. PS4 remains the frontrunner in the next-gen race, a console that boasts the more creative and interesting approach to next gen play, a truly coherent featureset and – throughout it all – vitally, a lower price.

Killzone and Infamous looked amazing:D

My memory is slowly coming back as I read more GAF. :D

So Sony have 2 live streaming partners now:

Twitch Joins Ustream On PS4, Will Be Freely Accessible For All Users
http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/...-ps4-will-be-freely-accessible-for-all-users/

And today, Sony made the announcement that the popular streaming service Twitch will join Ustream as part of the PlayStation 4’s online ecosystem; providing players with another digital avenue to broadcast their gaming content.

Perhaps they will add Nico Nico for Japanese gamers (like they did for Vita).

Back