Sony Disable “Install Other OS” in firmware (v3.21)

The software is part of the package and is required to make the machine work - we don't just buy a bundle of components.

They could produce a firmware with the same functionality that the hardware had at your purchase, but make the firmware impossible to upgrade. Essentially giving you what you bought and reimburse any software that required a newer firmware. I wonder if that would work.

A brick with functionality :)

Lots of games require later firmwares, as a means to enforce upgrading. I imagine reimbursing all those games would cost way too much!

Well thanks to geohat we know have CFW on the ps3 and no piracy. Funny that I was correct

You sure like to distort things in order to try to prove your point, dont you? Of course there's no piracy on PS3 with this custom firmware. How could there be when only one person has it. In fact we have no idea if this CFW is even real.

Well thanks to geohat we know have CFW on the ps3 and no piracy. Funny that I was correct

First of all, we don´t have any firmware yet :)

Secondly, the PS3 would be a unique example of a CFW without piracy and afaik, that wasn´t a part of your argument, you used known cracked consoles as your examples and one of your main issues, harddrive installs will not be an option unless we have piracy added :)

You were far from correct.

First of all, we don´t have any firmware yet :)

Secondly, the PS3 would be a unique example of a CFW without piracy and afaik, that wasn´t a part of your argument, you used known cracked consoles as your examples and one of your main issues, harddrive installs will not be an option unless we have piracy added :)

You were far from correct.

I"m certianly correct. CFW does not equal Piracy. We have CFW on the way for the ps3 and there is no piracy connected to it. They could have done the same with the psp. They could have made custom firmware without allowing piracy.

Hardrive installs can be an option. They can program in a disc check just as easily as microsoft did it for thier platform.

If they will or wont is another matter.

I"m certianly correct. CFW does not equal Piracy. We have CFW on the way for the ps3 and there is no piracy connected to it. They could have done the same with the psp. They could have made custom firmware without allowing piracy.

Hardrive installs can be an option. They can program in a disc check just as easily as microsoft did it for thier platform.

If they will or wont is another matter.

:)

Yes, because if "they" made a Custom Firmware without Piracy on the PSP no one else would just patch it in, hahaha. The one and only reason that Piracy wont follow after a CFW for the PS3 is if the game protection isn´t cracked. If it´s already cracked as a part of Geohots work, it´s just a question of time.

So you would take your UMD´s with you and insert them when the Custom Firmware asked you to check the original disc before starting the game from the Memory Stick.

:)

Yes, because if "they" made a Custom Firmware without Piracy on the PSP no one else would just patch it in, hahaha. The one and only reason that Piracy wont follow after a CFW for the PS3 is if the game protection isn´t cracked. If it´s already cracked as a part of Geohots work, it´s just a question of time.

So you would take your UMD´s with you and insert them when the Custom Firmware asked you to check the original disc before starting the game from the Memory Stick.

They certianly didn't have to share information with others on how to hack and mod the CFW. Geohat hasn't done so.

They certianly didn't have to share information with others on how to hack and mod the CFW. Geohat hasn't done so.

He hasn't even proved he's got CFW yet. One leaked video isn't proof.

Then again, if we have CFW we will have piracy and the PS3 will suffer as a result. No matter how much spin you try to put on that it is a bad thing.

I"m certianly correct. CFW does not equal Piracy. We have CFW on the way for the ps3 and there is no piracy connected to it.

If it's on the way, then we don't actually have it, now do we? So of course there's not going to be any piracy on system with CFW that no one has. In fact, you can't even prove that what Geohot is CFW, so no, you're most certainly not correct.

They could have done the same with the psp. They could have made custom firmware without allowing piracy.

"They" could have, but "they" didn't. So fact of the matter is that there exists no system today that has CFW and no piracy.

That's jumping the gun! Two days fo custom firmware isn't really enough time top see the impact, especially as no CFW has been released! You'll need to wait until CFW is established in the wild before seeing if it results in pirated games or not.

I thought in the manual somewhere SCEE might have stated that 'the product features may be subject to change at any time without notice' or something like that...

I don't have PS3 so don't know

They can put whatever they want in a manual, but that doesn't change EU Law.

They were lucky to get in early I guess. Amazon aren't going to give £80 back to every PS3 buyer! I think you'd be hard pushed to argue the value of Other OS is worth a significant part of the value of the system; if it were that important to you, you wouldn't have upgraded.

Why not? By law, they have to give a partial refund. Furthermore, they have already establish a precedent by giving the first customer £80. Anybody thats still has a 20/60 Gb will be entitled to a refund determined by the original purchase price.

It may just be that it was cheeper to pay off the person in this case rather than having a lawyer fully scrutinize it. You can bet that if a significant amount of people try to take this action a defence will be made. Similar to the recent bank charges refund was handled in uk, people were being paid thousands until it was widely publicised and the banks decide not to pay out and go to court instead, spent a few years in court and in the end the banks won and didnt have to pay out anything. Just because this guy was paid off does not mean it is proved to be unlawful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back