Sony Closing (Stopping) TV Production by Mid 2016? (Rumour)

Panasonyc ?

:yes:

Panasonyc is a word when people start to listen
Especially big eared people, they pay close attention
You might not believe it, you might not want to try it
But when it comes watching TV, you probably want to buy it

Panasonyc
Panasonyc

I saw my llama llama llama
Do my nama see me?
now my llama nama do
my llama llama nama see me
now my llama nama do
my llama llama nama see me
now my llama nama see me,
I'm a do my llama hum uh

yeah (Yeah)
Now it's it. That's it (That's it)

(lyrics by J.J Kaz)

is their tv line doing better ?
Are you going to buy a sony tv if they are? ;)

From most professional measurements I saw, their top model is alternating 1st and 2nd place with LG depending on your criteria. But any sony model without quantum dot is not really competitive for the price, at least against the midrange samsung and lg (just my opinion).

Next year is a make or break situation:

If the new big oled production finally have good yield, sony will have to buy the screens from lg, but since sony still have better processing and lower latency, it's not a bad place to be. They can sell tvs with the same screen for a higher price. Their upscaler is the best, and since bluray upscaling is currently the best source, they will have this edge in the near future until BR 4K picks up steam with enough titles. Upres bluray looks better than low bitrate 4k streaming, which is really funny, but not surprising.

OTOH, If the large oled can't get good yield, sony's quantum dot and processing could hold them at the top, or at least competitive. (lg also started using QD to reach rec2020 gamut, it's a tie)

That's good to hear.

I still have a 2006 vizio (maybe 2007) that is still chugging along. My gf and I are looking for a place to buy so any tv has to wait till after that :) But if they have a good price for what I'm looking for I might buy. I'm still quite happy with Vizio , recently got my gf's parents a 60 inch 4k vizio and it looks amazing and was a great price (1,200 at Costco)

I'm in the market for a new projector and Sony's offerings are looking pretty good to me. I've had good experience with them in the past. I might wait a few more months to see if the competition puts out anything cheaper in comparable quality.

Yeah, I have had a vw90es for almost 5 years which I'm still very satisfied with, I'm at my 5th 2000h lamp and still like new, some friends of mine have the hw15 and hw40 and they are very good too. I wish I had money to upgrade to 4k but right now the price for a 4k sxrd is insane. (and I'm full of debt, so no toys allowed for quite a while becauce of some veterinarian expenses, do you know how much it costs to MRI a cat? My cat scan joke wasn't enough for a discount).

JVC would be the only competition similar to sony's sxrd, if it wasn't for their bad latency unusable for gaming. If there's one thing sony is known for it's the low latency over their entire range of tvs and projectors.

Last edited:
Their TV also the only brand that consistently properly use HDMI ARC for proper surround audio for every input source.

Other brand I'd hit or miss. Vizio works but need fiddling with options.

*according to CNET article I read when looking for home theater

Trying to sell Samsung TVs?

Only a guy that doesn't knwo what's inside it, would buy a samsung over sony.
Open them, and check the quality.
Attack their security systems, and guess which one you can safely put on internet.

I bought a sony TV just for the higher degree of security it has (hopefully, they will redesign the remote controllers, you really see QA made by guys that love complexity there..).

Only a guy that doesn't knwo what's inside it, would buy a samsung over sony.
Open them, and check the quality.
Attack their security systems, and guess which one you can safely put on internet.

I bought a sony TV just for the higher degree of security it has (hopefully, they will redesign the remote controllers, you really see QA made by guys that love complexity there..).
Smart TVs and smart appliances are often bad with security in general, but Samsung's track record is horrible.

Samsung Admits Its Smart TV Is Spying On You
"if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be captured and transmitted to a third party."
http://thehackernews.com/2015/02/smart-tv-spying.html

Samsung Smart TV: Like A Web App Riddled With Vulnerabilities
https://securityledger.com/2013/08/samsung-smart-tv-like-a-web-app-riddled-with-vulnerabilities/

the pre-loaded Skype app can allow a hacker to read the user’s Skype name and password
www.sammobile.com/2013/08/05/samsung-smart-tvs-found-to-have-serious-vulnerabilities/

Samsung Smart TV security hole allows hackers to watch you, change channels or plug in malware
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/12/12/samsung-tv-vulnerability/

Samsung's smart TVs 'wide open' to exploits
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/12/smart_tv_pwned/

all my internet content comes in from my 8 xbox 360s. MS has me covered. Now if only they put media center on the xbox one

I hadn't really thought about vulnerabilities in smart TVs. :oops: Tis a brave new world indeed. Conceptually we'll need everything to be security vetted soon - cars, CE devices, kitchen appliances when we get to that.

Reactions: NRP
No kidding. I was just watching a video on "smart" autonomous cars (cars that use sensors and machine vision to drive themselves). Seems like these things are very close to being ready to deploy to the public. They're basically a computer. Can you imagine what kind of carnage an asshole hacker could cause if these cars become widespread?

A google dongle is a better choice than any integrated smart TV functions.
I just want a good image thank you, I'll connect whatever I want on it. :LOL:

I bought an Amazon Fire TV stick recently, due to arrive today. And I just now looked up security on it! Not that there's anything on the subject. But I use it very simply, and I think that's basically the only choice for internet security. I won't do anything serious away from a Windows PC running security - no mobile banking app or using a tablet browser to shop for me!

I recently set my brother in law up with a intel pc on a stick. Works extremely well and you can even run windows defender on it

Device security requires highly, highly skilled guys on it - and it takes years to assemble a good team for it.

The problem of IoT (which, in the end, your smart TV ends up in) is:
1) the sensors they have. Like microphones, webcams etc. (you are with your girlfriend in the sofa and someone records you?)
2) the warped usage a twisted mind could do of them -evil people do exist (all car controls like braking etc. pass over a CAN bus - if you have a wifi on it...).

On the commercial side, by compromising one of those TVs you could get naked DRM like i.e. the private netflix keys... not good.

For positional tracking... well, phones+GPS+all the permissions the apps request is usually more than enough :)

I bought an Amazon Fire TV stick recently, due to arrive today. And I just now looked up security on it! Not that there's anything on the subject. But I use it very simply, and I think that's basically the only choice for internet security. I won't do anything serious away from a Windows PC running security - no mobile banking app or using a tablet browser to shop for me!

Hell, you can get Windows on a stick (size of a thumb drive) now for use with a TV. It's still a first gen device though. I'm waiting for second gen to get one.

Regards,
SB

Back