Teh ULTIMATE console gaming TV! (It's a Sony! }:D )

That's a flawed analysis because burn-in can occur whether the light is direct or reflected. Old rear projection tvs used a mirror to reflect light too and they suffered burn-in as well. It all depends on how intense the light is and how durable the screen is. In fact rear projection DLP have very shallow cabinets so the light doesn't have to travel very far thus it still retains the high intensity energy at the screen.

You can do a very simple experiment to see what actually happens. For example take a very clear mirror and reflect the sunlight onto your skin and you'll be able to feel the heat very quickly. This heat will eventually cause burn-in on a screen with a static image even though the light is reflected and not direct. I say urban legend. :)

Well, whatever it is, the horrible viewing angles will stop me from buying one way before i start worrying about burn-in, so it's a non issue for moi.

I thought burn in was caused by having 1 image stay in place on the screen, and I heard that DLPs slightly but imprecetibly vary the image so that burn in doesn't occur.

Fox5 said:
I thought burn in was caused by having 1 image stay in place on the screen, and I heard that DLPs slightly but imprecetibly vary the image so that burn in doesn't occur.

Mmm nope. It's because the receiving screens are different.

Burn-in
Screen burn-in can damage displays that rely on a phosphor coating on the screen — plasma TVs and rear-projection CRT-based TVs are the most vulnerable to burn-in, and it's less likely, but possible with direct-view CRT TVs. Burn-in can occur when a static image such as a video game, stock or news ticker, or station logo remains on-screen for an extended period. Over time, these images can become etched into the phosphor coating, leaving faint but permanent impressions on-screen. The chance of burn-in can be reduced or eliminated by properly adjusting a display's brightness and contrast settings.

If DLP don't have a phosphor coating on their screen, then i guess i have proven they can't possibly suffer from burn in. If they have a phosphor coated screen, then they might be susceptible to burn in.

PC-Engine said:
That's a flawed analysis because burn-in can occur whether the light is direct or reflected.
But what is it you're burning into what? If the projection screen is just a matte screen (such as in some camera obscuras), there's no way you could burn anything into it with less light intensity than that emitted a few microseconds after initiating an atmospheric nuclear bomb blast. :D

Rear projection TVs still rely on phosphors and electron guns to my knowledge, hence they have burn-in. DLPs have no phosphors so I don't understand what it would be you'd burn into it.

To further complicate matters, I have noticed "burn-in" in LCD screens; I had a faint outline of my windows desktop visible on my old Dell 1701FP monitor while playing games with dark graphics. :p Of course, it isn't burn-in in the sense one talks about phosphor screens, but it was something at least. I read back then that if the screen was powered off for a number of days it would reset itself. I never tested that theory before the monitor had a premature death...

Someone mentioned samsung plasmascreens. Not that I'd buy even a nut or a bolt with a samsung logo on it (says the person using a Dell 1905FP monitor with a samsung panel in it :D), but I wonder how much power a screen like that would draw... I've noticed certain pioneer 50" plasmas draw just under 400W, which is a HELL OF A LOT really. An even bigger screen would likely be much worse than this.

The confusion some have here is because of where the burn-in occurs.

CRT RPs suffered burn-in in their phospors, not the plastic screen at the front. And it's because they needed to run quite a bit "hotter" in order to project an image that was comparable in brightness to plain-jane CRTs.

DLPs do NOT suffer burn-in.

Ty said:
The confusion some have here is because of where the burn-in occurs.

CRT RPs suffered burn-in in their phospors, not the plastic screen at the front. And it's because they needed to run quite a bit "hotter" in order to project an image that was comparable in brightness to plain-jane CRTs.

DLPs do NOT suffer burn-in.

Huh? burn-in from RPCRTs can be seen even without having to turn on the tv which means the screen is where part of the burn-in has taken place...

To further complicate matters, I have noticed "burn-in" in LCD screens; I had a faint outline of my windows desktop visible on my old Dell 1701FP monitor while playing games with dark graphics. Of course, it isn't burn-in in the sense one talks about phosphor screens, but it was something at least. I read back then that if the screen was powered off for a number of days it would reset itself. I never tested that theory before the monitor had a premature death...

But was it permanent? LCDs can temporarilty retain an image for a few days.

PC-Engine said:
But was it permanent?
Like I said, I couldn't test it because the monitor had a premature death... I suppose the liquid crystals stay partly affected for a while if they've been set to the same position for a long time, but that they eventually reset themselves if the power is removed long enough.

PC-Engine said:
Huh? burn-in from RPCRTs can be seen even without having to turn on the tv which means the screen is where part of the burn-in has taken place...

I've never seen this. Perhaps you're seeing a bit of light reflecting off of the tube. /shrug. Next time you see this, get real close to the screen and take a looksee for us.

Unfortunately the Burn-in FAQ on AVS moved with their forum revamp but the initial link at least talks about where the burn-in for CRT RPs occur, at the phosphor level (the author is speaks in general but also about RP CRTs as he owns one).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=406182

Edited in:

If it was burned into the plastic screen at the front, I would hope that the owner could simply replace those.

Back