SONY BRAVIA KDL-40D3500 native resolution?

Mendel

Mr. Upgrade
Veteran
So they're reporting the resolution in megapixels now? In some places they call it a 1920x1080 resolution display, elsewhere they say it has "6.2 megapixels"

It does not compute, 1920x1080 < < 6 200 000 ... What's the native resolution of this thing?

So they're reporting the resolution in megapixels now? In some places they call it a 1920x1080 resolution display, elsewhere they say it has "6.2 megapixels"
Who is this "they" you keep speaking of? Regardless, "they" should not be trusted.
It does not compute, 1920x1080 < < 6 200 000 ... What's the native resolution of this thing?
1080p, which is just over 2 megapixels.

1920 x 1080 x 3 = 6220800. They're counting red pixels, green pixels and blue pixels I'd guess.

yeah, the individual red, green and blue elements of the display are not pixels, they are subpixels.

Got a link for that?

right, sorry. well, I just saw it in an advertisement, in a couple of magazines actually. That said, googling for (the modelname) +megapixels yields several results where that number is included as well.

edit: Thanks nutball, I guess that could be it. Makes absolutely no sense so in fact that must be it! :D Sheesh... advertizers

Just to provide a link for an example:

http://www.pixmania.com/si/uk/685742/art/sony/bravia-kdl-40d3500-lcd-te.html

Resolution (horizontal x vertical - in pixels) 6.2 megapixels
The resolution indicates the number of pixels that make up the screen, both horizontally and vertically. The higher this number of pixels, the finer and clearer the image.

Confusing to say the least if they mean subpixels when they say pixels...

Just to note. I'm not blaming this particular e-tailer, the same claims are all over the other ads as well so it could well be that "they" are Sony marketting department.

Back