Sony announces new Yaroze contest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_Yaroze

"Net Yaroze (yarozei, or phonetically ya row zey vb. means "Let's do it together!" or "Let's work together!") was a product promoted by Sony Computer Entertainment in 1997 to get computer programming hobbyists familar with the PlayStation development environment so that they could make video games for the PlayStation console system."

It seems like you can submit a game concept for the contest and the winner(s) will get help from Sony Japan to build the game. This "help" ranging from hardware and software to the actual creation of the team for the game's development.

Wow! Only open to Japan presumably? If they've had one of these before, what was the result? Was any game released from such a submission?

It seems it's open to all nationalities but actual development must be in Japan.

I don't know specifics about the previous yaroze project, but i think stuff like Pokemon and Worms came out of contests like this one.

Anyway, if someone with good skills in japanese could translate the press release it would be nice ;)

Worms is a ripoff of Scorched Earth, which in turn was inspired by some previous game as well AFAIR. Console Pokemon is in part a variant of traditional japanese RPG battle system with some other influences, I doubt any part of it is really original, apart from the weird creatures and their funny names that the player uses to do battle with...

Guden Oden said:
Console Pokemon is in part a variant of traditional japanese RPG battle system with some other influences, I doubt any part of it is really original, apart from the weird creatures and their funny names that the player uses to do battle with...

Yeah, Dragon Quest had monsters collecting before Pokemon. And DQ was inspired by the early CRPG like Wizardry, Ultima, according to the designer. Its basically simplified to fit on Famicom. I think in game world, execution is far more important than original ideas.

Well one such game from the original Yaroze is Dokodemo Issho. So it seems there were real games to come out of this.

Shifty Geezer said:
Well one such game from the original Yaroze is Dokodemo Issho. So it seems there were real games to come out of this.

Was this game considered good by the gaming community? Did you like it?

¡Oh Great!

But I have to find my Net Yaroze and to relearn soma aspects that I forgotten with the time.

Back in the PS1 days they used to include Yaroze projects on demo discs that you could get with certain magazines, although I had no idea that it was still going.

Shifty Geezer said:

Wasn't the character from the game based around the Sony mascot or am I thinking of another company?

EDIT: AH!! YEAH YEAH YEAH! Toro! That's right. Sony's mascot indeed.

Bit more info
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61419

previous winners include the creators of Devil Dice, Bombtastic and Doko Demo Issho.

Fancy giving it a shot? Well you'll have to wait until November 15, since that's when the 'Let's Play a Game' competition website will launch, via which you'll be able to send in your application. The closing date for entries will be some time in February 2006.
Devil Dice on PS2 got an IGN rating of 9.0, rating it the most addictive puzzle game since Tetris
Bombtastic is a PS2 sequel with IGN score 8.5

So the results weren'ta dismal failure and it's certainly worth someone entering because the winner will get their game made!

V3 said:
I think in game world, execution is far more important than original ideas.

You got that right. Who cares if the ideal is original, it's all about creating the product, and selling it.

Back