Sonic the Hedgehog (X360/PS3): It's a one way track..

Farid

Artist formely known as Vysez
Veteran
Supporter
It seems that nobody cares enough on this board to start a thread about the upcoming release of Sonic the Hedgehog, so I, as the diehard Sega fan that I am, decided to do it.

Official site

Pictures:

I was interested in this game from day one, the game being a true Sonic game and all.
Althought, I'd admit that the first tech demo they showed didn't present a really convincing gameplay for a Sonic game, just as the news of having Shadow (driving a SUV :cry: ) and yet another hedgehog as playable characters didn't please me much. I won't lie and say that I wasn't thrilled when I heard that it was a Sega Studios USA (EX-Sonic Team USA) game neither, given that while I loved Sonic 2, I wasn't fond of SA2 and completely hated Shadow the Hedgehog --a game, by the way, that never existed as far as I'm concerned.

But what really sold me on this new Sonic is the inclusion of a remake of the first level of Sonic Adventure!
Unlike some other folks, I thought that Sonic Adventure one was awesome, adventure parts include.
I mean, I own virtually all the version of the game, even the DX PC versions.
Of course, like most I didn't like the Knuckles/Amy/E102/Big the Cat parts, but at least they weren't forced on you, you could, if you wanted play the Sonic and Tails scenarios only and be done with it. If you did the latter, you wouldn't get to the Super Sonic level, though, unless you downloaded a completed save with the Dreamcast browser (great feature).

Actually, to be perfectly honest, I would rather have a complete remake of Sonic Adventure, with expanded levels, more areas, etc... instead of some of the new parts featured in this new game (Burning city/Shadow/Silver parts), but hey, it seems that the Sonic Team loves to disappoint me these last years, so I won't complain too much, given that at least they got some part of the game right, it seems, this time around.

Can Sonic ever work in 3D? Sonic was all about speed, and speed doesn't control well in 3D platformers unless they're just a straight course (is that what this is?). Isn't this Sonic in name and protagonist only? How can they get it to play with the same feel as the 2D originals?

Shifty - Agreed. I still think the mechanics of nearly all 2D is better than their 3D counterparts including fighting games. 2D Sonic was a masterpiece still unequaled... now the bonus rounds in 3D were a bonified treat.

I agree with all of the above. I can't say much more than is already expressed. :p I'm interested in checking out the game...don't know if I'll ever get it though.

Hm... so I guess even Hedgehogs can get chicks.

I want a 2D side scrolling Sonic that looks like rendered claymation...
If the Sonic Team was run by monkeys, they'd would work on a 2.5D (2D gameplay, 3D graphics) Sonic and they'd, at least, realease it via the online distribution platform of the X360/PS3. But hey, there's so much you can expect from simian primates.

Sonic on GC was 3D and very good. Not the same speed as the old 2D, but still quite playable.

If the Sonic Team was run by monkeys, they'd would work on a 2.5D (2D gameplay, 3D graphics) Sonic and they'd, at least, realease it via the online distribution platform of the X360/PS3. But hey, there's so much you can expect from simian primates.

They almost do this on the PSP though, don't they? Except that for some reason they felt it had to be a 'rivals' thing, rather than a regular old Sonic. Still, they might put the engine to some good use.

Can Sonic ever work in 3D? Sonic was all about speed, and speed doesn't control well in 3D platformers unless they're just a straight course (is that what this is?). Isn't this Sonic in name and protagonist only? How can they get it to play with the same feel as the 2D originals?

Yes it does work, and the tracks are fairly linear. Its almost like a racer sometimes, where you try to squeeze every second out of a track by being as efficient as possible. Sonic Adventure on the DC is what made me buy the DC in the first place. It was about as good as a 3D interpretation could have been. And trust me the speed is there and its blazing fast. Pick up a copy of it on the GC or even PC with a controller.

I agree. SA1 was awesome although they gave some unnecesary emphasis on some adventuring aspects in some parts. Still the best 3D sonic and a great game overally. I still want a DC just for this game.
But the recent Sonics were terrible. They killed the series. I hope this one manages to retain the speed and ease of control of the 2D ones for once.

I used to be a huge Sega fan, but I've lost all hope of anything good coming from their console division these days. Fans have been asking for a Sonic game without all the stupid characters for years. SA1 was great, the Sonic levels in SA2 were good, but I could do without the other characters. They should focus on getting the Sonic gameplay right instead of adding all these other characters. I want to play as Sonic, not throw crap around with Silver.

I tried the 360 demo and the controls were terrible. What has Sega done to Sonic? Way to ruin one of the best frachises ever.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were done well. The Sonic based stages are definitely based on speed if you don't suck. =)

Always been a big sega fan.

I wonder what changes did they add as opposed to the ones that came out before...

OTOH, I'm still waiting for them to make the sequel to "Nights"

I played the Live demo, admittedly for only a couple of minutes..had to say it seemed very terrible.

having the ability to rapidly fall to your death in this type of uber fast 3D game doesn't seem like a good idea to me..
________
Live sex webshows

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with SEGA these days is that they have all this old IP that they fail to use. And when they do use old IP they ruin the experience and should jsut change the characters and give different names.

Sonic is a perfect example of this. Sonic Adventure 1 was a good game, it would have been great if they did away with Big the Cat, E102, and Amy Rose. There's no reason for that crap to be in a Sonic game as it just brings down the overall experience. Then we have Sonic Adventure 2 that introduced Shadow. YAWN. This is one method of revamping the series that was horrible in execution.

I feel a rant about SEGA coming so bear with me and I might end up getting into it.

A Sonic game can have Tails and Knuckles. It can have all the classic elements done right in a Sonic game with both speed and slow exploration if that's what the player wants. The problem we are facing is that the people making the game just want to keep adding new things in it that dilute the gameplay to a point where it is a chore jus to pick up the controller. If I want to explore this beutiful level then let me do it! If I just want to blaze through it to the end just to get the best score possible then let me do it! And don't get me started on the boss battles. The ones in SA1 were really good, but now it is another YAWN. Sonic Team needs to come back with a pure Sonic game and focus it on revolving Sonic and maybe Tails and Knuckles fighting Robotnik and Metal/Mecha Sonic. At least this would harken back to the Genesis/Mega Drive days when it was all about the gameplay and the story was understated and not in your face. The gameplay can be there, it is just that Sonic Team has failed to deliver again and again. I don't blame the concept of Sonic in 3D, I blame SEGA for failing to capture that gameplay in 3D.

I have defended the company in the past for so long, but it's at a point where to keep trying is useless. They have IP that would make great games now adays, so why not just bring thee games back? Streets of Rage, Kid Chameleon, Vector Man, Golden Axe (on its way last time I checked), a real Phantasy Star RPG, Fighting Vipers, Eternal Champions, Daytona (despite licensing issues), a good Shining game, and countless others that are out there just waiting. Let's think about it. We had it damn good in the Genesis days, and in the Saturn days despite SEGA being in a distant 3rd. The games were still quality and great to play. Then the Dreamcast comes and the games are still great to play and even innovative in concept. Then SEGA went software only. I had such high hopes that the games they would make would bring them into a mega profit now that they no longer needed to sink money into hardware they couldn't manage. It was supposed to be great. If only it ended up that way. It feels as if SEGA lost its entire identity and the will to make great games. SEGA needs specific hardware to cater for, it is that simple. When the Dreamcast died, the rest of classic SEGA died with it. I wish the company as a whole would just pick a next gen platform and stick to it being entirely exclusive. At least that way they would get to know the hardware intimately again and we might see graphical greatness and just possibly gameplay greatness! (I know the two aren't related, but SEGA used to be the best at both)

That's the end of my rant. I have low hopes for the new Sonic game.

Always been a big sega fan.

I wonder what changes did they add as opposed to the ones that came out before...

OTOH, I'm still waiting for them to make the sequel to "Nights"

Indeed I am waiting as well. They were going to make one on the DC they said, but there was nothing.

I hopr they will do it well if they decide to make a new one. But if it's going to end up like the sonic and other sega franchises they shouldnt bother at all. They should leave Nights in its glory it built on the Saturn than ruin it with another badly made sequel

I played the Live demo, admittedly for only a couple of minutes..had to say it seemed very terrible.

having the ability to rapidly fall to your death in this type of uber fast 3D game doesn't seem like a good idea to me..
What the hell????This has been a HUGE complain in all 3D sonics and especially the last ones (God how much I hated Sonic heroes for that) and they still havent FIXED IT??

So they fixed NONE of the issues??? Why dont they GET IT??? What do they need to understand? :mad: :mad:
Jesus Christ people have been complaining for the same issues for years and Sega still doesnt get it that Sonic is all about SPEED and control. Its like a different dev is developing Sonic. A dev who has no idea of Sonic.

I am pissed.

I was expecting for once that Sonic would have retained his speedy, fun and cool gameplay. But its more of the same mistakes repeated all over again. Damn you Sega

The problem with SEGA these days is that they have all this old IP that they fail to use. And when they do use old IP they ruin the experience and should jsut change the characters and give different names.

Sonic is a perfect example of this. Sonic Adventure 1 was a good game, it would have been great if they did away with Big the Cat, E102, and Amy Rose. There's no reason for that crap to be in a Sonic game as it just brings down the overall experience. Then we have Sonic Adventure 2 that introduced Shadow. YAWN. This is one method of revamping the series that was horrible in execution.

I feel a rant about SEGA coming so bear with me and I might end up getting into it.

A Sonic game can have Tails and Knuckles. It can have all the classic elements done right in a Sonic game with both speed and slow exploration if that's what the player wants. The problem we are facing is that the people making the game just want to keep adding new things in it that dilute the gameplay to a point where it is a chore jus to pick up the controller. If I want to explore this beutiful level then let me do it! If I just want to blaze through it to the end just to get the best score possible then let me do it! And don't get me started on the boss battles. The ones in SA1 were really good, but now it is another YAWN. Sonic Team needs to come back with a pure Sonic game and focus it on revolving Sonic and maybe Tails and Knuckles fighting Robotnik and Metal/Mecha Sonic. At least this would harken back to the Genesis/Mega Drive days when it was all about the gameplay and the story was understated and not in your face. The gameplay can be there, it is just that Sonic Team has failed to deliver again and again. I don't blame the concept of Sonic in 3D, I blame SEGA for failing to capture that gameplay in 3D.

I have defended the company in the past for so long, but it's at a point where to keep trying is useless. They have IP that would make great games now adays, so why not just bring thee games back? Streets of Rage, Kid Chameleon, Vector Man, Golden Axe (on its way last time I checked), a real Phantasy Star RPG, Fighting Vipers, Eternal Champions, Daytona (despite licensing issues), a good Shining game, and countless others that are out there just waiting. Let's think about it. We had it damn good in the Genesis days, and in the Saturn days despite SEGA being in a distant 3rd. The games were still quality and great to play. Then the Dreamcast comes and the games are still great to play and even innovative in concept. Then SEGA went software only. I had such high hopes that the games they would make would bring them into a mega profit now that they no longer needed to sink money into hardware they couldn't manage. It was supposed to be great. If only it ended up that way. It feels as if SEGA lost its entire identity and the will to make great games. SEGA needs specific hardware to cater for, it is that simple. When the Dreamcast died, the rest of classic SEGA died with it. I wish the company as a whole would just pick a next gen platform and stick to it being entirely exclusive. At least that way they would get to know the hardware intimately again and we might see graphical greatness and just possibly gameplay greatness! (I know the two aren't related, but SEGA used to be the best at both)

That's the end of my rant. I have low hopes for the new Sonic game.
Couldnt agree more

Hopefully this latest Sonic game will be fun but I think it comes down to the formula not working on a 3d platformer. The problems with combining "sonic" speed into a 3d platformer is encompassed well in Rangers rant. The only remedy I could imagine is giving the character's shoes a more magnetic feel (that cling that seems to minimize players' margin of error in control), where jumping from wall to platform to wall isn't an exercise that makes me want to break my controller. After watching some of the gameplay screens I've seen that this is partially done in levels where Sonic speeds and jumps from wall to wall as if he's got glue on his feet. Maybe Sonic should not be given license to fall unless it is an obscenely stupid move from the player.

As for the Sonic IP; It seems to be getting pushed in all directions but the game. They come up with a cartoon and then insert these new characters into the game, instead of visa versa AFAIK. Have any of you come across these cartoons? I'm not sure if the cartoons were forced into the gameworld or the other way around, though I am convinced the characters others than those in the genesis family are horrible.

I also was less than impressed by the demo. The controls just didn't work the way I think they should for a game with this pace. They lacked precision and immediacy in reaction to what I "felt" I had done. End result being that it was way too easy to fall to your death and sometimes way too hard to pick up and keep posession of your rings. Worst part was that "combat jump" the tutorial taught you. Forcing you to utilize that almost uncontrollable jump against enmies that like hanging out near ledges is kind of a bad idea, especially if you're floating on some kind of platform hundreds of feet above the ground... :rolleyes:

I'd rather download a Sonic Mega Drive Collection from Marketplace than buy this TBH.

Back