Soccer or football?

trinibwoy said:
only one or two guys on the team kick the ball a couple times a game. :rolleyes: Should've called it american rugby or something.

Yet another person who did not read the article. ;) Besides the historical aspects (e.g. rugby also falling under the title football at one time) the term football seemed to be allocated for ball games played on foot in constrast to ball games play on horseback.

Anyhow, from someone who has played both: I don't care what people call it overseas (its not like us Americans care what you think or call stuff anyhow :p ) the problem is we have two sports vieing for the same title. Each needs a short title. American Football is far too long and inconvenient. Since American football is what developed as the sport of choice under the football umbrella in the States (and is infinitely more popular here) it won out, and the English term soccer for football is what we call English football. Just another way to show our arrogence :devilish: The other way is we totally shun the sissy sport. How much so?

Ice Hockey is more popular in Florida and Ariazona than Soccer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Simon F said:
You completely missed my point, or perhaps I was too subtle. The earlier link stated that the US game originated from the "posh" schools and hence surely has a greater similarity with Rugby (Union).
Well, it also says that modern American football is a combination of the "Boston game" (which had soccer-like rules) and rugby. It must have been really interesting to see two teams playing with entirely different rulesets in the Harvard-McGill match :)

The article linked at the top of the thread isn't exactly correct. I believe the term 'Soccer' was deliberately coined by the F.A. back in the early part of the 20th Century in order to differentiate between Association Football and Rugby. I've got an old history book published in the 1920s somewhere which states this and if I get the chance I'll look for the reference.

Still, calling the game Soccer just doesn't sound right to the British ear!

When it first started out, the game was a little bit more robust than today. You could tackle a man with the ball in any way you pleased, literally kicking his legs from beneath him. This led to quite a few broken limbs and at one point in Victorian times there was quite a movement to try and ban the game. Players were also entitled to charge the goalkeeper at any time, literally bodychecking him at full pelt. Rules were later changed so that you weren't allowed to charge the goalkeeper... unless he was in possession of the ball! This sort of explains Nat Lofthouse's (in)famous goal in the 1958 F.A. Cup final although, of course, charging the keeper had long been illegal by then.

One of my favourite sayings about the Beautiful Game is quite correct: "Football is a gentleman's game played by ruffians, and rugby is a ruffian's game played by gentlemen".

;)

geo said:
I wonder where "soccer" as a name comes from tho, and why all those Euro immigrants didn't insure that "football" was preserved as the name. But given when all this naming was going on, I bet you're going to find 1st and 2nd generation Euro fingerprints all over it on this side of the pond as well.

what is wrong with people in this thread? Read the bleedin' links at the top :rolleyes:

I blame Chalnolth and Trini. :cool:

Tho having read it all now, I must admit that I feel so. . .liberated. I'm going to call it "soccer" everywhere I go now and wait for someone to demur just so I can start chanting "Blame the Brits! Blame the Brits! Mwahaaaaahaaahaaa."

Rugby league is much better than Rugby Union imho. Faster and alot less stoppages. Esp with those whislte happy English prats ;)

Blitzkrieg said:
Rugby league is much better than Rugby Union imho. Faster and alot less stoppages. Esp with those whislte happy English prats ;)

Don't mind Rugby Union myself but I must admit I've been bored senseless every time I've seen a League match. Big blokes get the ball and run into other big blokes until the 5th tackle when they then punt it up field. Admittedly, some Union matches are pretty turgid affairs as well but I don't think the League players pass the ball around enough.

Rugby Sevens is always worth a giggle though.

Mariner said:
Rugby Sevens is always worth a giggle though.
I'd never seen it until the Commonwealth Games this year - absolutely brilliant.

PatrickL said:
It is football. You have to be american to call football (american football for others) a game where you mostly play with the ball in your hands.....
...and bend over while wearing those gay pants.

...and wear uniform which gives you oversized appearence.

I agree, calling that Rugby mod football is so American.

Football? Soccer? What is this thread all about? Did I miss something important? Is it connected to lots of orange all around here? Is there a FAQ about it?

DiGuru said:
Football? Soccer? What is this thread all about? Did I miss something important? Is it connected to lots of orange all around here? Is there a FAQ about it?

CosmoKramer is distraught that he's been thinking evil thots about Americans that he should have been reserving for Brits re the origination and responsibility for the continuation of the "soccer" apostasy.

geo said:
CosmoKramer is distraught that he's been thinking evil thots about Americans that he should have been reserving for Brits re the origination and responsibility for the continuation of the "soccer" apostasy.
Ah, the evil Brits! I should have known! Shame on them!

But, what is it all about, again? I don't get it.

Actually, I'm surprised Mel Gibson hasn't made a film exposing the evil British wilfully creating the name 'Soccer'.

Skrying said:
Yes, this whole thread is rather telling about people.
Sorry if my comment made anyone upset. However I still remember Americans making remarks about "soccer" being girly game, kiddy, boring, Not Invented Here, and generally being proud in expressing their ignorance of the fact what is the football game outside of US + Canada.

Back