So Little PowerVR SGX?

re: Moorestown you cannot think of anything but SGX (540??) being in there as it totally fits the bill, but as the IMG folks cannot comment currently it will be just speculation until it is confirmed sometime next year me thinks.

Looking forward to seeing some OMAP3's in action cannot be too long before Pandora hits the shelves, and yes a Centrino Atom US15W Netbook under 300 quid would be ideal but lets wait and see cannot be too long now!!!

TottenTranz
"Well I'm waiting for the Poulsbo+Atom netbooks to come out so I can buy one"

Dont think you are going to see Poulsbo in that configuration, its a more costly solution than Atom+945, and in that form factor cost is has higher priority than space/watts.

Inkster
"If it has PowerVR SGX IP in it is still a mystery for now."
Intel are on record as stating that many of their future SocS will specifically contain 3rd party video and graphics. The only known 3rd party supplier of IP to Intel in that realm is IMG

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont think you are going to see Poulsbo in that configuration, its a more costly solution than Atom+945, and in that form factor cost is has higher priority than space/watts.

What? No way!

Poulsbo is surely cheaper to make than the pair of "huge" (compared to poulsbo) chips 945G+ICH7.
You can get a lot more Poulsbos in a waffer than you get with 945Gs, let alone when you add the price of the southbridge..

The only reason for these north+south bridges to come in nettops is because Intel is trying to get rid of their stocks and is probably selling them dirt-cheap.

Even if the Poulsbo may never come to nettops (I just found out it has no SATA controller), Intel must come with cheaper IGPs/bridges or they'll keep losing money by keeping in market these big and power-hungry ICs.

What? No way!

Poulsbo is surely cheaper to make than the pair of "huge" (compared to poulsbo) chips 945G+ICH7.
You can get a lot more Poulsbos in a waffer than you get with 945Gs, let alone when you add the price of the southbridge..

The only reason for these north+south bridges to come in nettops is because Intel is trying to get rid of their stocks and is probably selling them dirt-cheap.

Even if the Poulsbo may never come to nettops (I just found out it has no SATA controller), Intel must come with cheaper IGPs/bridges or they'll keep losing money by keeping in market these big and power-hungry ICs.

Not really.
The 945GSE is a new, low power revision of the "Lakeport" chipset, not old stock. Sometimes it's just cheaper to resort to tried and tested, deeply debugged designs, rather than shrinking it (as early P965 chipset owners know all too well, requiring not only extensive BIOS tweaking, but also further refinement of the original hardware design on the same 65nm process - leading to P35-).

Intel have stated that Diamonville/945 combo are for applications where cost is crucial, Centrino Atom (i.e. the one with Poulsbo) is for applications where power usage and/or space is crucial.

The Processor "packaging" used in Centrino Atom, and the one used in "plain Atom" are different. i.e. not only is the chipset cheaper, the processor is cheaper to make too.

http://www.imgtec.com/News/index.asp

31st July 2008

First Consumer Products with Imagination's Shader-Based POWERVR SGX Graphics Core Now Shipping

Leader in embedded 3D graphics IP sets another first with Open GL ES 2.0 capable product now available

London, UK, 31st July 2008: Imagination Technologies, the leader in mobile and embedded graphics technologies, reports that the first branded consumer electronics products utilising its advanced and market-leading shader-based graphics core, POWERVR SGX, are now shipping.

POWERVR SGX, Imagination’s OpenGL ES 2.0 and OpenVG compliant graphics acceleration technology, is already on sale in devices from Aigo, Kohjinsha, Sharp and others. These are the first wave, with further MID, mobile phone, automotive and media player products on the way. Dozens of POWERVR SGX-enabled products will ship in the next few months from manufacturers including Asus, Fujitsu, Gigabyte and Panasonic.

Imagination expects that the first mobile phone handsets with POWERVR SGX will start shipping in Q4/2008 in Japan.

POWERVR SGX passed as Khronos OpenGL ES 2.0 compliant in June 2008 – the first graphics technology to achieve compliance with the key API for the next-generation of mobile devices based on commercial, production silicon.

Imagination has led the mobile and embedded graphics market, originally with its POWERVR MBX graphics which is now the de facto standard for 3D-acceleration in key embedded markets including mobile phone, navigation, media players and STB/TV.

POWERVR leads the market based on the key measures of: number of licensees, number of chips in development, range of markets targeted by OEMs deploying the technology, and total volume of devices shipped.

POWERVR’s success is based on a patented tiled based architecture, which is the most optimal and advanced technology for delivering performance and low-power consumption. POWERVR’s robust, proven architecture has been developed over more than a decade of high-volume deployment in markets including PC, console, automotive and mobile.

Imagination’s CEO Hossein Yassaie says:"Being the first shader-based IP core in mobile product is a significant milestone and we believe that POWERVR SGX already has a two year lead on its rivals. This technology has the support of leading semiconductor companies and OEMs and has achieved design wins in multiple markets including in-car, MID, UMPC, media player, mobile phone and STB/TV. We are confident that SGX will maintain Imagination’s leadership in the market, currently enabled by POWERVR MBX. Indeed, the lead enjoyed by SGX is already ahead of that held by MBX at a similar stage in its roll-out."

POWERVR SGX is sampling or shipping now in SoCs (system on chip) from Intel, NEC and Texas Instruments. Already 13 licenses have been taken by customers for POWERVR SGX, with more in the pipeline, and around 25 POWERVR SGX-based SoC devices are in development or production.

and the funny thing is half those people don't even know they have a POWERVR enabled phone in their hands.

and the funny thing is half those people don't even know they have a POWERVR enabled phone in their hands.

and if they knew, would they really care? what difference it makes them as long as they are happy? and honestly, it's better that they do not know when they are unhappy.

btw nappe1 do you happen to know olli hinkka, the guy who ported quake I, II, and soon III to S60. Apparently he's working on a S60 port of Quake III for N95 8GB. Can you ask him when the project's gonna be over (quake III)??

IN June '08 Davind Harold from IMG said on this thread:-

SGX is sampling in several devices inc. Centrino Atom, NaviEngine1 and OMAP3.

MBX, the previous generation has done about 75m units and is in 90+ handsets, but still has a long way to go yet.

David Harold
Head of PR
Imagination Technologies

In a pocketgamer interview today (feb/02/09) David Harold said:-

"We've done over 140 million POWERVR mobile devices to date because we take power consumption very seriously. "

Am I right to think this means 65Million graphics IP units have been shipped by IMG in the last 7.5 months ?

Imgtec confirmed a long while back that all announced SGX cores (a list they'd shortened over time), including the 531, had been licensed.

Imgtec confirmed a long while back that all announced SGX cores (a list they'd shortened over time), including the 531, had been licensed.

I know of no other announced use of 531, I wonder was it specifically designed for NXP ?

From that Press Release:-

"POWERVR SGX545 is available for licensing now. The IP is already proven in silicon in a test chip from Imagination and licensed by a lead partner."

Proves that IMG are announcing licencees long after the deal is inked....its already in test silicon and already has a lead partner. given the PR mentions DX10.1 and ONLY talks about 200MHz (Sodaville has a variant that runs the SGX at 400Mhz), I'd suggest that this is for moorestown.

Outside chance that Apple could be the licencee, given that the IP in the iphone is SGX535.

Back