So Im back from Australia with the Marines, LOTS of pics

Some things they do. I rode in the Abraham I was in front of in the one pic, but they wouldnt let me take a pic of the inside.

Everything else is common knowledge anyways. BF2 has everything I posted, and then some. :)

Had an "Aussie burger", that had red beets on it. Took them off, and was pretty good.
Argh! You ruined it. Beetroot (tinned) is an essential part of a proper hamburger...as is pineapple and sometimes egg.
They did have one of the worst things I have ever had though, vegimite (sp?). Ugh, so nasty
I bet you tried putting several tablespoons on a slice of bread, didn't you? Vegemite is not to be treated like jam! (jelly, for you yanks!) :D

I went to Australia quite some time ago and my cousin had a bag full of snacks b/c he thought there would be nothing to eat there or something. Anyway they took his beef jerky away as well and he had tons of it. So my brothers and he all gorged on it to not waste it and ended up sick :p
Did he ignore all the signs saying "Do not bring XYZ into Australia?". He's lucky he didn't get arrested! Now if only old Sly Stallone (the real one, not the guy mentioned in the pics) had paid attention as well.:devilish:

Argh! You ruined it. Beetroot (tinned) is an essential part of a proper hamburger...as is pineapple and sometimes egg.

Beetroot is gross, the others though are quite good. My wife and I hiked by Govett's leap and down the stairs then up and around and back up the "grand canyon" with a chocolate bar for us to split and it was snowing by the time we were finished and we were soaked to the waist from wading across creeks. Anyway by the time we had hiked back to the rail line in blackheath we just missed the train back down so we had burgers there and they were some of the best burgers I have ever had. Of course that is how it always seems when you are hungry enough to eat leather.

I bet you tried putting several tablespoons on a slice of bread, didn't you? Vegemite is not to be treated like jam! (jelly, for you yanks!) :D
We have both btw. If you did not know, jam has the seeds, jelly doesn't.

Did he ignore all the signs saying "Do not bring XYZ into Australia?". He's lucky he didn't get arrested! Now if only old Sly Stallone (the real one, not the guy mentioned in the pics) had paid attention as well.:devilish:

At the time it seemed to imply something besides processed meat, and it is not as if he knew in advance when in the US. It wasn't like the customs people were mad, he said he had it.

fallguy,

was that a commercial plane?

did you have to go through normal customs or a special one set up for military personnel?

last question: what's that square red thing on the rifle?

fallguy,

was that a commercial plane?

did you have to go through normal customs or a special one set up for military personnel?

last question: what's that square red thing on the rifle?

Yes, it was a plane from 'World Travel'. We contracted it out, so it was just Marines on it. We carried our weapons on the plane. We rarely went in the airports, and if we did, just to a designated area that had very few civi's in it. We loaded up from the tarmac.

Thats a BFA. Its just to show that the weapon is safe, and not using real ammo. When using blanks, you have to have it on. It just screws on, and cant be removed, unless you want it removed.

I guess without it, the gas pressure wouldn't be enough to re-cock the weapon.

Though I suppose its also there as a "don't shoot me, I can't shoot you" flag.

If its shooting blanks (which is what you shoot in training sessions), you need something to 'plug' the barrel so pressure builds up and provides the force to move the bolt to rechamber the next round. Normally the bullet would do that, but blanks don't have bullets, so something must be used.

Or, at least, I'm surmising.

Its actually open ended, gas can get out easily. Its just the red flag as you said, and safety that if somehow a live round go in with the blanks, it wouldnt fire.

And Simon: if not for spreading on bread, what, pray tell, is vegemite good for?
Well, of course you normally spread it on bread, but the quantity is important. Don't use too much.

Having said that, it can be used in cooking. The lids even used to give small recipe ideas. I, for example, have used vegemite in meatloaves.

Well, of course you normally spread it on bread, but the quantity is important. Don't use too much.
Nothing being the preferred amount? So vile that the FDA has barred travelers from bringing the stuff into the US. ;)

Though, I must say that - without actually having tasted Vegemite - it doesn't sound as bad as Marmite (which IMO tastes like someone attempted to make bouillon beer and forgot the vat for a couple of months until all that was left was a fermented yeasty goo). I hold the belief that it must be a cultural imperative for all peoples to have some sort of brown salty-bittersweet foodstuff that nobody else seems to care for at all...

Great photos. :)

Such as beef jerky. :cry:

So you chugged all of it right in front of security? :D

I can see the Matt Damon resemblance, not so much the Sly though. :cool:

Back