Smash Bros. Brawl :)

It is true. I never thought I'd see that on the Wii and even less from Nintendo itself.

Source?

This is interesting since the hardware is incapable of reading dual layer recordables out of the box, though it's most likely just that it's tougher to read a dual layer burned disc than a pressed one it could also be a firmware update upping the laser intensity.

Actually, found a source confirming smash to be a dual layer disc, and it may well be a firmware update that allows it to be read. Apparently some people are having trouble even running retail copies of brawl on their modded systems, and since mod chips subvert the normal operation of the drive, I suppose functionality could have been added (dual layer support) that not all mod chips are capable of supporting.
It'd be interesting if Nintendo could play around with the drive firmware in order to make mod chips incompatible. Would it be unrealistic to change the firmware to read discs outside of standard DVD specs? Maybe give the laser the ability to narrow its focus to read denser partitions on a disc, or use non-standard sized discs? Triple layer dvds?

This is interesting since the hardware is incapable of reading dual layer recordables out of the box, though it's most likely just that it's tougher to read a dual layer burned disc than a pressed one it could also be a firmware update upping the laser intensity.

Well, Brawls does force you to upgrade your firmware the moment you boot your game for the first time, which means...

Edit: Sorry, didn't read that last part. Seems you did know. Interesting non the less they could "upgrade" Wii's capabilities out-of-spec, which is probably why they didn't give solid final numbers even after the console's release. DVD playback may yet be possible.

I would doubt it would be able to change the focal length of the disk, but reading non-standard disks is not out of the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
DVD playback could definetely be added, that's more of a software decoder thing than anything else.
I'd imagine nintendo not releasing final specs is more down to not wanting the system to appear overly weak than anything else. As well, using trailing edge technology makes it more likely for clones to emerge (as happened to all the cartridge systems I believe) so why make it any easier for knock offs to be made?

DVD playback could definetely be added, that's more of a software decoder thing than anything else.
I'd imagine nintendo not releasing final specs is more down to not wanting the system to appear overly weak than anything else. As well, using trailing edge technology makes it more likely for clones to emerge (as happened to all the cartridge systems I believe) so why make it any easier for knock offs to be made?

True. But isn't the DVD playback thing more of a licensing issue?

Anyways, I'm hoping their firmware updates would one day fix one thing: disk space. (via means of external harddrive support.)

But going back to Brawl...Man, the Kirby remixes...

True. But isn't the DVD playback thing more of a licensing issue?

Anyways, I'm hoping their firmware updates would one day fix one thing: disk space. (via means of external harddrive support.)

But going back to Brawl...Man, the Kirby remixes...

Well yeah, I suppose Nintendo wants to avoid the DVD licensing costs. Shame, since the wii is small enough and comes with a remote that it wouldn't be a bad dvd player, albeit sans upscaling.

Wii had sd card support for higher capacities, but since games have no way to write to it it's pretty lame. Not sure if storage space is really a problem right now, as there's nothing out there to make use of the storage space.

Hmm, got the Japanese version of brawl? Lucky.

Hmm, got the Japanese version of brawl? Lucky.

No, but a few other boards have the soundtrack, one of which claims that they ripped it right off the disk. (I believe the link above to the poster claims about having decrypted it.) I'm enjoying every moment of listening to the tunes.

I have the full list with no unknowns (some music is used for the various modes, such as tournament). Although it's nice of them arrange the hell out of the Brawl theme, I wish Nobou Uematsu composed one more track for the game (such as an end theme, for example) in order to give it "finality".

But that would be really nitpicking.
I don't know. The game is more of a party game and so having a theme for it would be kind of pretentious (?). This game does have like the ultimate videogame music soundtrack ever though.

Yes, this game seems to be Dual Layer. Of course afaik that has nothing to do with DVD playback - the reason for including that is typically a licencing cost issue, not a hardware cost issue.

Surprising though to see a Wii game that reuirs a dual layer disc. What's next, a PS3 game that requires a bluray disc? ;) (just kidding)

Not sure if storage space is really a problem right now, as there's nothing out there to make use of the storage space.

I heard Nintendo is thinking of offering a service where you can download old NES, SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafx, Neo-Geo, and N64 games and play them emulated right on your Wii.

Why? Last gen had a few dual-layer games and Wii ought to be looking at a good twice the content with lots more RAM to fill.
Assuming the games are given the budget to do so. The only DL games I remember from last gen was the God of War games and the first Xenosaga game. High budget games with lots of great looking and sounding assets(including quite a few FMVs).

Champions of Norrath did too for the many different tiles for the random dungeon creation. There were quite a few, it just wasn't public knowledge. A few on Wii makes a lot of sense as it has got more memory to fill requiring more assets.

I don't know. The game is more of a party game and so having a theme for it would be kind of pretentious (?). This game does have like the ultimate videogame music soundtrack ever though.

I see it less of a party game and more of like a platform game puttin in fighting game shoes. Basically, all those competitive scene people are looking at the game in the wrong light. It doesn't have "fighting game physics". It should be seen more in the same way Virtual On and Senko no Ronde are treated.

That's just wrong. The game will probably get pulled off shelves and get an AO rating now!

smash3.jpg

I see it less of a party game and more of like a platform game puttin in fighting game shoes. Basically, all those competitive scene people are looking at the game in the wrong light. It doesn't have "fighting game physics". It should be seen more in the same way Virtual On and Senko no Ronde are treated.
well if you look at pro ssb players, they find so many exploits and do weird tricks to stay alive that it's hard to say exactly what genre this should go in as it matters depending on your playing style and what items you have. I guess it would be closer to a versus platforming game though. think of it as sort of playing a normal mario game only sonic is the boss...if that makes sense.

well if you look at pro ssb players, they find so many exploits and do weird tricks to stay alive that it's hard to say exactly what genre this should go in as it matters depending on your playing style and what items you have. I guess it would be closer to a versus platforming game though. think of it as sort of playing a normal mario game only sonic is the boss...if that makes sense.

How about thinking back to the versus mode that used to be in every beat em up game? Like Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, etc. More recently, Mortoal Kombat: Shaolin Monks.

It broke the million barrier in Japan after 10 days according to Enterbrain. It seems like it selling like hot cakes, atm.

Back