Smash Bros. Brawl :)

You haven't seen Ocarina of Time then. Hell, Metroid Prime 3 was delayed more than Brawl. At most, Brawl's been delayed a few months. Most Nintendo delays take years.

I dunno about that, I'd imagine a game like brawl has been in development for quite some time, probably started not long after melee came out. It's too popular of a franchise for nintendo to have just started development with the wii.

But yeah, I guess nintendo's main franchises do get a lot of polish. They're secondary franchises though do not. Just check out the battalion wars series or the non-mainline pokemon games.

The Battalion Wars games are 2nd-party, not 1st-party. IMO, the first game was quite polished. It wasn't a perfect game per se (but then neither are some much-hailed games like Twilight Princess), but glitches and framerate drops were rather absent.

I like this picture. It's sending us a message.

sheik_080116d-l.jpg

Link: OMGWTF, there's a bulge down there!!!!

Smash Bros. Brawl is apparently powered by Havok physics:
2229783767_334b60d789_o.jpg

Which explains why the Smash community is complaining they can't wavedash :LOL:

In other news: It looks like the final part of the roster has been confirmed: Ness, Lucario, Falco, Ganondorf, Capt. Falcon, G&W, ROB, Toon Link, and Wolf.

Smash Bros. Brawl is apparently powered by Havok physics:

Which explains why the Smash community is complaining they can't wavedash :LOL:

In other news: It looks like the final part of the roster has been confirmed: Ness, Lucario, Falco, Ganondorf, Capt. Falcon, G&W, ROB, Toon Link, and Wolf.

You can't wavedash ? Are you kidding me ?

Nope, wavedashing was never intentional in melee so I'm not too surprised they took it out.

Well most of the interesting mobility techniques in fighting games were never intentional. And I know wavedashing was a gameplay bug that can be exploited during game. But never the less it added a nice layer to the game.

In VF2, taiwan stepping wasn't intentional, but AM2 implement a modified version of it in later VF games. I was hoping Nintendo would do the same. But I guess it would be too hard for their core audience.

But I guess it would be too hard for their core audience.

Hit the nail on the head there. It'll definitely piss off the hardcore base, but Nintendo will still benefit from it.

The one thing to consider is that since SSBB is still new, there are still tricks to be discovered.

Well most of the interesting mobility techniques in fighting games were never intentional. And I know wavedashing was a gameplay bug that can be exploited during game. But never the less it added a nice layer to the game.

In VF2, taiwan stepping wasn't intentional, but AM2 implement a modified version of it in later VF games. I was hoping Nintendo would do the same. But I guess it would be too hard for their core audience.

What's Taiwan stepping?

Anyhow, a modified version of wave dashing wouldn't be bad, but as it was it was an overpowered technique in smash bros. That one technique made many others obsolete, and marked a clear seperation between those who could do it and those who couldn't (as opposed to edge hogging, a samus bomb jump recovery, or even dodging and shielding).
What is a little more upsetting is the removal of air dodges, though I did have a fair amount of accidental deaths due to those.

What's Taiwan stepping?

Anyhow, a modified version of wave dashing wouldn't be bad, but as it was it was an overpowered technique in smash bros. That one technique made many others obsolete, and marked a clear seperation between those who could do it and those who couldn't (as opposed to edge hogging, a samus bomb jump recovery, or even dodging and shielding).
What is a little more upsetting is the removal of air dodges, though I did have a fair amount of accidental deaths due to those.

Could you clarify which techniques wave dashing made obsolete? If anything it made certain techniques/attacks more versatile. The only point I'm concurring with thus far is dodging -- wave dashing out of harm is far safer.

There are *far* worse techniques that you could be commenting on, I believe. All characters are WD-capable (though not all are useful), at least. Jump cancelling shines, SHLing, wave shining, moon walking, pillaring... I'm pretty sure I'm missing several others; these didn't necessarily make other techniques obsolete, but they definitely set apart entire characters from the rest of the competition, making competitive play awfully dull.

Edit - and thankfully many of these are either nerfed or unseen in Brawl, last I heard.

I'm hearing that Brawl is the first Wii game to use DVD9. Not sure whether this is true, but we'll know soon enough.

Pretty sure that's false as I know modded wiis need a hardware modification to be able to read DVD9s. Unless dual layer pressed disks are easier to read than dual layer recordables?

Some people do say that wavelanding is still in.

But basically, all the dodging is now momentum based, which probably explains the need for a basic physics engine (especially with Dedede's WaddleDee projectiles and all of the other crazy things bouncing around at the same time).

Pretty sure that's false as I know modded wiis need a hardware modification to be able to read DVD9s. Unless dual layer pressed disks are easier to read than dual layer recordables?

Well, there is an obligatory firmware update to those who tried to boot up Brawl, so something is going on...

What's Taiwan stepping?

In VF2, is the used of G-cancel crouch dash forward or backward either from standing or crouch position. Basically using this method of movement (compare to standard dashes) no attacks can hurt you. Since you can stand up and guard in 10 frames and there is no mid level attack that come out that fast. Furthermore attacks that are executed from crouch gained alot of range. Very useful technique in VF2 used by two Taiwanese players, hence the name Taiwan steps.

Back