Smash Bros. Brawl :)

Some people do say that wavelanding is still in.

But basically, all the dodging is now momentum based, which probably explains the need for a basic physics engine (especially with Dedede's WaddleDee projectiles and all of the other crazy things bouncing around at the same time).

What do you mean by momentum based dodging? Is the explicit dodge command still in the game?

What do you mean by momentum based dodging? Is the explicit dodge command still in the game?
Yes, dodging/sidestepping is still in the game. You haven't been paying attention to the main dojo site, have you?

What this means is that using dodging no longer lets you extend your aireal reach by a fourth measure. (In other words, when trying to recover, the dodge won't let you gain more distance that you initially set with your 2nd/3rd jump.) The benefit of this, or course, is that you can now do a second jump, dodge, and then third since there's no recovery lag...(I might have to look this up. I know the whole areal dynamics have been change because of the new system, which sort resembles Smash 64 than Melee.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a REALLY funny Metal Gear codec conversation in Brawl.

Watch 4:09 in the video. It's in Japanese, but you'll understand why it's funny without knowing any Japanese.

Well, there are always new advance techniques people can discover. This is a new game after all, not Melee 2.0.

Doesn't look useful enough to warrant the amount of tapping that guy had to do. I assume it allowed for a faster running speed, along with perhaps avoiding whatever lag going from a run into a move normally occurs but eh...

I just saw the Final Smash compilation of the game, and I must say its disappointing.

Some chracters have overpowered finishers yet some are severely underpowered :cry:

I just saw the Final Smash compilation of the game, and I must say its disappointing.

Some chracters have overpowered finishers yet some are severely underpowered :cry:

Will that stop others for enjoying the game for what it is?

I mean, common...There's a ton of other stuff there for the rest of us (the single player alone is worth its own game).

I never mentioned anywhere in my post that the game will be less enjoyable :p

All im saying is, for the people who love those characters with not-so-great final smashes, theyre in for a surprise :???:

I never mentioned anywhere in my post that the game will be less enjoyable :p

All im saying is, for the people who love those characters with not-so-great final smashes, theyre in for a surprise :???:

Some of them have completely strong normals/specials anyway. Jiggly, for instance, and her killer kick.

Unrelated, but listening to some of the tracks, the music in this game is going to rival the rest of '08 in terms of pure selection/arrangement. (Some are orchestra, others have live elements like guitar, strings, etc.) People who think synths have no place in todays games will be in for a surprise...

Last edited by a moderator:
Unrelated, but listening to some of the tracks, the music in this game is going to rival the rest of '08 in terms of pure selection/arrangement. (Some are orchestra, others have live elements like guitar, strings, etc.)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. This game IS the soundtrack of the century or better. NO GAME in existence can rival this soundtrack.

Now let's have a contest to see who's the biggest nerd here and can name every single one of the games and their soundtrack just by listening to them!

HOLY CRAP there's 270 pieces of music including MGS and Sonic.

I won't post the full list (gamers are still trying to find them all and it's long as hell) but it has every imaginable nintendo piece of music and about a dozen from MGS and Sonic. The only letdown is that there's a limited number of Donkey Kong songs probably because the smash bros. sound designer wanted to consult all the original composers and Microsoft prohibited Rare from spending a lot of time on a wii game.

It's available for torrent (~1 GB).

HOLY CRAP there's 270 pieces of music including MGS and Sonic.

I won't post the full list (gamers are still trying to find them all and it's long as hell) but it has every imaginable nintendo piece of music and about a dozen from MGS and Sonic. The only letdown is that there's a limited number of Donkey Kong songs probably because the smash bros. sound designer wanted to consult all the original composers and Microsoft prohibited Rare from spending a lot of time on a wii game.

It's available for torrent (~1 GB).

Well, a few good DKC series songs made it in, and they still have the original Donkey Kong series to deal with and the more recent non-rare donkey kong games as well.
I'm surprised at the number of Metal Gear and Sonic songs, given the limited number of stages and for them and that each game only got one character.

I won't post the full list (gamers are still trying to find them all and it's long as hell) but it has every imaginable nintendo piece of music and about a dozen from MGS and Sonic.

I have the full list with no unknowns (some music is used for the various modes, such as tournament). Although it's nice of them arrange the hell out of the Brawl theme, I wish Nobou Uematsu composed one more track for the game (such as an end theme, for example) in order to give it "finality".

But that would be really nitpicking.

Back