Sixaxis - Shaping up to be sweet!

btdvox

Newcomer
I gotta say after watching videos from Gamerday- the sixaxis is shaping up to be one sweet controller- Most games that use it can have the feature fully turned off or even on by peices that you would like- I saw a video for Tony hawk that showed great represenation of what you can do and it really worked well. The video showed how you can use the sixaxis to do all the moves and even move the guy but if you dont want to do that always you can set the options so its just suited to your tastes...

I then saw a video of Resistance in which a man came up and strangles you and then the player at gameday had to shake the controller with quick reactoin to get him off- Very cool.

The other cool thing i heard is in COD3 you can not only butt people with the sixaxis but they have specific mini games just for the PS3 online and offline when you wanna blow something up like a turret or a tank and other specifics....

All in all i was skeptical of the sixaxis being to light, no rumble- and i want to know whats going to happen for gamesl ike gran turismo but im sure theyll figure out ways to make it more realistic liek ridge racer when drifting or cornering if you tilt the controller itll give you that extra edge and hopefully you wont spin out. But i think sonys doing a great job using the "action instead of reaction" .

I'm still not sold. I was just playing Forza and the 'rumble' was VERY helpful and having it for say...Motorstorm would be awesome! Probably burn out the rumble unit in the controller. :)

ya car games would be kind of weird with it but the videos of ridge racer and sixaxis were pretty damn sweet= and that game looks awesome- i think its a good switch itll take time to get use to but i think i wont notice cuz i havent played a console game in awhile- sold my 360 in march due to lack of like any games coming out- then prey came out which i played on my comp. deadrising id like to play- and gears of war

is basically the same controller that they had since the ps1 days...

For the specifics of what the OP is talking about (motion sensitivity), it's nothing like it..

Anyway, on topic, I'm not going to comment on the quality of implementations in particular games - I think it's something you'd have to try yourself, even though I am intrigued by some examples - but I am pleasantly surprised by how many games are using it.

Why didn't Sony change controller's design? Dual Shock has many drawbacks and they didn't fix a single one. Like IGN said, just because most people play on Dual Shock doesn't change the fact it's far from perfection.

Next-gen.biz have a mini review of PS3 and a couple of times they mention using the tilt effectively. In particular they say...
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII (Ubisoft, Ubisoft)—
It is entirely possible to dress up a pig. Blazing Angels was a mediocre World War II flight-combat game on Xbox 360. Spit, polish, and Sixaxis-tilt controls have transformed the game into something playable, and certainly something that warrants inclusion on this list for its surprising metamorphosis. Players manuever their fighters with simple, subtle movements of the Sixaxis controller, and it just feels right. In the words of eminent sage Prince, color us peach and black, color us taken aback
Nothing outstounding, sounding like a Warhawk effort and so far that's been the main use of tilt, but it has breathed new life into a weaker game and made it enjoyable. That's a realworld example of where better/new control method produces a better game experience, on top of all the ideas people can describe that IMO would add considerably to the gameplay experience.

I wouldn't care even if you didn't think the sixaxis was as good as the original poster is making out.
I think you keep writing stuff you should not write as I never, not even remotely, hinted to something like that. so, what do you wanna do? keep on going? stop now, please

The analog sticks are reportedly much better, and they've added triggers for those who want more travel on l2/r2.
Unfortunately analog sticks are still symmetric and according to IGN triggers aren't without flaws either. Sony did minor chnges whereas they should have done major overhaul of controller's shape and button deployment.

Unfortunately analog sticks are still symmetric and according to IGN triggers aren't without flaws either. Sony did minor chnges whereas they should have done major overhaul of controller's shape and button deployment.

Well the layout remains the same, obviously. Some people like the symmetrical sticks, some don't, but by far the biggest complaint I'd heard previously re. the dualshock's sticks was with regard to its deadzones, and thus suitability for FPS games and the like, which appears to have been addressed. As for the triggers, others have shared different views..I think at face value, their inclusion is definitely an improvement.

I'm by no means saying the controller is perfect, but I do think the statement that they've 'fixed nothing' or made no improvements is inaccurate.

Back