Silent Hill 3 in progressive scan.... Bloody hell!

cthellis42 said:
Anyone know the more technical back-end of SH3? (Frames, polys/sec, effects, all that jazz) It certainly seems like the best technical showcase for the PS2 so far. ^_^
One of the best technical showcase for sure, but I really would like to stress that it's art-direction and music are major points too. Very homogeneous, the mix. There are very few titles, that accomplish this, ZOE2, MGS2 ... yes, Konami rules *bow*

I have to say this is one of the best if not the best game on this system. My buddy brought it over and we spent 5 hours playing it and drinking wine (yea i dunno some random thing we picked up in italy) . Looks very good indeed .

maskrider said:
It is a transcoder which transcodes YPbPr -> RGBHV (a KeyDigital X-Blaster copycat, from mainland China). With 480p or higher, your monitor will be fine, but during the console boot up, you are stuck with 480i and you won't see anything on your monitor.

It is not really an usual VGA box.

Here is the original KD-CTCA2 (I have one), which costs US$300.

kdctca2.JPG

Wow, why the price difference? And most gamecube games run in 480P, and I rarely go into the console boot up, so that's fine for me.

Fox5 said:
maskrider said:
It is a transcoder which transcodes YPbPr -> RGBHV (a KeyDigital X-Blaster copycat, from mainland China). With 480p or higher, your monitor will be fine, but during the console boot up, you are stuck with 480i and you won't see anything on your monitor.

It is not really an usual VGA box.

Here is the original KD-CTCA2 (I have one), which costs US$300.

kdctca2.JPG

Wow, why the price difference? And most gamecube games run in 480P, and I rarely go into the console boot up, so that's fine for me.

One is copycat, the other is original. (The copycat version s retailing at under US$40 in many stores)

In my experience (with mostly Japanese games), they don't boot to 480p directly, you need to press "B" and they will rather show a confirmation box asking if you are sure you want to go to Progressive mode during the interlaced boot up sequence. If you don't answer it, some may time out, some may stay at that screen until you press confrirm or cancel.

That's where the problem usually comes from, same thing happens with PS2.

X-BOX case is similar as when you need to configure anything with the Microsoft Dashboard, it will be interlaced only.

ChryZ said:
One of the best technical showcase for sure, but I really would like to stress that it's art-direction and music are major points too. Very homogeneous, the mix. There are very few titles, that accomplish this, ZOE2, MGS2 ... yes, Konami rules *bow*

Art always makes the most difference, but I'm sure it's got a LOT of bragging rights. :) I'm just curious what the technical ones are... In the end they won't matter, as it's what you see and hear and play that makes the jaws drop and the eyes glisten happily.

Meh, I should get the Blaze. I'm not looking forward to playing SH3 in interlaced mode next week. Especially not on my LCD :cry:

While I don't post here that much I do have a suggestion for those who want hdtv quality graphics and 480p even some 720p abilities without the money hassle.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...37EA1253.MD-0.198.bscott@odyssey.apana.org.au

Go to the link, its a list of rgb monitors that can do 480p and 480i also like I mentioned before 720p in some cases. make sure the max res is at or above 640 x 480 and there is at least 60hz vertically. Finding these monitors can be a pain but I ended up with a mitsubishi AM-2752A for about 75$ in very good condition though a few other things will make this a purchase a bit pricy like shipping. Your gonna need a vga to bnc converter to plug your vga box or cables in most cases.

One is copycat, the other is original. (The copycat version s retailing at under US$40 in many stores)

Even still, the copycat is selling for 1/10th the price! I'd expect a major quality decrease or something. BTW, what stores have it for under $40?

theafu said:
While I don't post here that much I do have a suggestion for those who want hdtv quality graphics and 480p even some 720p abilities without the money hassle.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...37EA1253.MD-0.198.bscott@odyssey.apana.org.au

Go to the link, its a list of rgb monitors that can do 480p and 480i also like I mentioned before 720p in some cases. make sure the max res is at or above 640 x 480 and there is at least 60hz vertically. Finding these monitors can be a pain but I ended up with a mitsubishi AM-2752A for about 75$ in very good condition though a few other things will make this a purchase a bit pricy like shipping. Your gonna need a vga to bnc converter to plug your vga box or cables in most cases.

Instead of messing around with that, or with VGA boxes in general, I just picked up a Sony P.E.D. on sale. It's got component input with support for 480i/480p/720p/1080i, and also S-video and regular RCA video inputs, along with a VGA input. And it's widescreen as well :)

Actually I had a Samsung LCD HDTV monitor, but I wasn't very happy with it as a computer monitor so I took it back and got this one instead, which I like better.

back from the dead...

Marco:

the Blaze options must be as follows:
as with every other full-frame buffered game,
Vertical scan (i know it's not really called vertical scan, but i cant remember the name, it's the one that makes the screen bigger or something) **OFF**
Progressive scan **ON**

this setting works with EVERY full frame game and it does wonders with some of them while not much for others....
for example, Kingdom Hearts does look a bit better but for some reasoni prefere the normal interlaced look. Timesplitters2 looks amazing. so do all the games that do support progressive scan natively, especially Tekken4 which is just amazing in pro-scan, difference is like night and day... and also Guilty Gear X2, even more so (the PAL version doesnt include an option for progressive scan, but it still works flawlessly in pro-scan, so does burnout2 <--- amazing)

then just go on *START GAME* without selecting any game (because of course SH3 wont be in the list, which is pathetically old)

dont bother using the Blaze adapter for all the half frame buffered games, such as GT3, ICO, BG:DA and some other older games, since u will only get a really ugly pixellated 640x240 picture :?

Fox5 said:

Even still, the copycat is selling for 1/10th the price! I'd expect a major quality decrease or something. BTW, what stores have it for under $40?

In Hong Kong.

marconelly! said:
London Boy, how does MGS2 works/looks on Blaze?

it looks pretty good. the difference is not stricking since the textures are pretty washed out, unlike in SH3 where the textures gain detail when viewed in progressive scan.
MGS2 looks slightly better.... i'd say it's the same difference seen in Kingdom Hearts... looks better but not by much.
oh and it's much more stable at least.
SH3 does look phenomenally good but it's a bit buggy in pro-scan.
it's a "hack" so we shouldnt expect a lot, but still the detail gained is worth all the trouble...
in general games with a lot of pixel sized details like Guilty Gear X2, Tekken 4 and SH3 will look MILES better when played in progressive scan, while games like MGS2 and some others just look clearer, more PC-like if u want...

Ozymandis said:
Instead of messing around with that, or with VGA boxes in general, I just picked up a Sony P.E.D. on sale. It's got component input with support for 480i/480p/720p/1080i, and also S-video and regular RCA video inputs, along with a VGA input. And it's widescreen as well :)

Actually I had a Samsung LCD HDTV monitor, but I wasn't very happy with it as a computer monitor so I took it back and got this one instead, which I like better.

I lost a job and like being frugal so Getting a P.E.D from sony or a real hdtv solution was not an option. The monitor I use now isn't really like most monitors people use for a pc do a search on the bigger ones and you will find they look like tv's. Beauty is most have s-video inputs and such on the back. Only bad thing about them is no speakers and hooking sound up to your setup can be a pain if its high end.

marconelly! said:
oh and it's much more stable at least
You mean flickering? But MGS2 didn't really have any... (like prety much any other full frame games)

NO i mean the game is stable.
sometimes even full frame games can be a bit buggy, either crashing or just weird....
they both for example have a smal part of the screen repeated on the right handside of the screen. something that doesnt happen with tekken4 or Guilty Gear X2 or The Getaway for example

marconelly!:
You mean flickering? But MGS2 didn't really have any... (like prety much any other full frame games)
It has plenty... it doesn't matter how good of a flicker filter is used, the effects cannot be eliminated because the process of interlacing is inherently flickery. Even the best filter algorithm can't change the way the fields have to be drawn alternating against each other.

Put a computer monitor up next to your TV on any game to see the effect with your own eyes.

Lazy8s said:
marconelly!:
It has plenty... it doesn't matter how good of a flicker filter is used, the effects cannot be eliminated because the process of interlacing is inherently flickery. Even the best filter algorithm can't change the way the fields have to be drawn alternating against each other.

Put a computer monitor up next to your TV on any game to see the effect with your own eyes.

yes i think u r completely right. of course on some TV's the effect can be less evident than on others.
my LCD display (capable of up to 720p) is one of them. ANY interlaced source looks just plain "dirty" compared to the same source in Progressive scan.
i used to have an interlaced-only 100Hz 36" Panasonic TV and even on that the interlacing effects could be quite ugly at times, especially on games that have mainly horizontal movement. u can litterally see the difference in timing of the odd and even lines.
progressive scan sources do not have this problem and that is why they look much cleaner and easier on the eye. the benefits also include much richer colours, simply more definition on little details especially on characters faces which in the best games are rich of tiny details (especially SH3)

Might be just me, but i think SH3 is around SH2 with just more beefy characters...dont see the deal with it...??? It has much better cutscenes though.

chaphack said:
Might be just me, but i think SH3 is around SH2 with just more beefy characters...dont see the deal with it...??? It has much better cutscenes though.
That's what has been mainly brought up here (well... in addition to the fact that the topic is how good SH3 looks in progressive scan, I'm not sure if SH2 can be viewed in prog scan. Then your comparison would be at least a little valid :rolleyes: ), the cutscenes that are rendered realtime and look absolutely beautiful.
Due to the nature of Silent Hill games (3rd person view, dark and dirty environments, limited view distance, the fact that everything happens in desolated places that are more or less empty etc...) the SH2 and SH3 games do look quite similar in gameplay.
You just can not make a Silent Hill game with pretty, bright, shiny levels where you can see miles ahead.
But a lot of the environments are noticeably more detailed than in SH2, like the church for example.

Back