*Sigh* The Inquirer Strikes Again: RSX "Slightly Less Powerful" than 7800

There was already a thread about this, and it seems it was promptly deleted.

NVidia has been saying the exact opposite since E3 - that it's more powerful than the 7800 - and the specs announced at E3 suggest that also. Remember too that this is PSM...(the same people have had "PS3 news" nearly every issue since E3, and a lot of it just seems plain made up). If I see a scan with a direct quote from a named NVidia source, I'll pay this more attention, but until then I'd stick to the numerous quotes up till now that are dranatically to the contrary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then they go and mention the whole Fight Night tech demo as if EA games are some kind of benchmark. Everyone knows that EA makes an engine for the lowest common denominator and ports it across platforms. Look at Madden this gen. It's like looking at Madden on the Xbox and saying, "See, this proves that the Xbox isn't really more powerful than the PS2 because the games look the same."

Whatever. Who writes for these guys?

Apparently the quote isn't at all in the newest PSM - anyone can confirm? A Xbox fan on a forum apparently started this, and The Inquirer picked up on it in typical fashion.

A thread about this same thing was just started by OpaOpa.

It got deleted and OpaOpa won't be posting here anymore. Under that username at least.

This "information" is not for this forum. Any "information" coming from TheInq shouldn't be on this forum, especially when we have been discussing the exact opposite for months.

Well if TheInq was reporting speculation from "inside" sources, then maybe this wouldn't have been posted. However, if this was indeed taken from OPM from an interview with someone from Nvidia, then TheInq is just the messenger and this should have some merit. However, the Fight Night comments were so sophmoric that it basically kills their credibility.

Anyone can make up an anonymous source. Even if the anonymous source is legit and speaking the truth (I dunno. PS3 is only 2x as fast as PS2 say), having it come from an unsubstantiated source means it won't be believed. Unless you want to believe all the unsubstantiated sources out there. I know the grapevine works by spreading every comment anyone puts out there without basing it on any hard evidence, but I've never been partial to that kind of soft fruit.

And I'll add that the messenger should be shot in such cases. Journalism is about providing information with information. I remember many many years ago a rumour regarding the Amiga. It was read on a newsgroup, repeated in the Amiga Format magazine, and posted as gospel truth back into the internet where it became 'official'. Sites reporting news shouldn't pander to gossip mongers. But then if it pulls in the fanboi hits as XBoys look it up to gloat at PSboys how rubbish their machine is, that's all the site cares about - visits.

Last edited by a moderator:
From a technology point of view G70 and RSX are pretty the same thing i don't know how they can say the G70 is a little bit more powerfull.

For those that don't know, if you've been living under a rock for the last few months, the graphics processor in the PlayStation 3 is NVIDIA-designed and is called RSX. How does it compare next to the 7800?

"The two products share the same heritage, the same technology. But RSX is faster," said Kirk.

Mods can close the thread.

The only way this can be true is if Sony dropped the clockspeed of the RSX which I believe will happen and will be "announced" quietly by Sony.

For what it's worth, TXB is also reporting this. For the record, TheInq supposedly got it from and OPM interview with someone from Nvidia.

the only major advantage that GeForce 7800 GTX has over RSX is the 7800 has a 256-bit bus bus whereas RSX only has a 128-bit memory bus.

I am somewhat confused but I think what RSX has to make up for that is the 35 GB/sec connection to CELL.

london-boy said:
Any "information" coming from TheInq shouldn't be on this forum, especially when we have been discussing the exact opposite for months.
LOL, you better tell Dave Baumann who has twice, recently, posted links to Inquirer articles.

Jawed

Megadrive1988 said:
the only major advantage that GeForce 7800 GTX has over RSX is the 7800 has a 256-bit bus bus whereas RSX only has a 128-bit memory bus.

I am somewhat confused but I think what RSX has to make up for that is the 35 GB/sec connection to CELL.
Nope, that won't make up for it.

Jawed

I don't know why the Inq always gets dragged into everything in terms of their credibility and such. They have as much credibility as any other tech-rumor site does; and in that vein they do their job better than most.

If we're not willing to speculate on rumors and possibilities, well the reason for this forum's existence goes down a notch.

Still, for this particular rumor I just think it's The Inq regurgitating what they heard somewhere else. Something they are prone to doing without thorough fact-checking.

The GDC Europe PS3 architecture presentation should have finished by now - any word on what may have been discussed?

Back